Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP: 2021 23MXZ Complete Upgrade

alcoprop

I have had my boat for a couple months now and have about 35 hours on it. I am already thinking I would like to do a complete upgrade on it. Boat has the MXZ pack sound system with 4 icon 8s and 12" sub. Obviously thinking of going with 2 pair of Rev10s on the tower. I am thinking JLw6 under the helm in a sealed enclosure and then another one in the "death chamber." Is it worth upgrading the factory cabin speakers? What Wet Sounds amp for the tower speakers and cabin speakers? I want plenty of power to the Rev10s so I keep thinking dual Syn-DX4 for them then what for cabin speakers? I am thinking the JL HD1200/1 for the pair of w6? With this config that is 4 amps and which mean making a new amp board I assume? Any other great ideas?  I want people to know I am coming and want the baddest on the lake is my dream like every one else! Thanks for the help! 

Edited by alcoprop

Let’s talk!  What you’re describing is what I call factory enhanced sound. After years of ordering my boats as stereo delete I do believe the factory system has improved enough to be a good foundation to build upon. So my last three boats have all had the factory system and then I enhance from there, just as you describe. 

Let’s examine all three zones:

CABIN: The factory cabin is probably the least of your problems. I know some guys who enhance tower and sub while leaving the cabin alone. The WS Revo 8 is a good speaker and it can take a lot of power. My approach has always been to rip out the factory amp and replace it. Your boat has an OEM Syndx 6 that powers the cabin and sub. Plan on replacing that with either a Syndx 4 or Sinister SDX4. I use the Syndx 4 and my cabin speakers scream with the gain set at aprox 60%. 

TOWER: This is the zone that REALLY benefits from a new amp. Your boat has an OEM Syndx 2.  Rip that out and replace with a Syndx 2.3 HP. That will feed 300 watts to each can. Tune it and see if you still want the Rev10’s. I have two pair of Rev10’s, and I’m not really fan of the Icon8’s. But I think it’s worth listening to them under new power before you punt them. If you do decide to go with the Rev10’s, that same Syndx 2.3 HP will power the Rev10’s very nicely. Again, I’d do this before deciding you also need a Rev410. IMHO they are ugly and totally overkill. Most guys in this forum are happy with ONE pair of Rev10’s (I’m not one of them, I run two pair of Rev10’s always). So TWO pair is really a lot. 

SUB: You’re on the right track with your 12W6 plans. Two years ago I ripped out the factory sub and put in a 12W3 in a new sealed box. It was a huge improvement but still left me wanting more. Last year I installed two 12W6’s in sealed boxes and it hammers. I was so happy with it it I did the same this year. Honestly, I will never do more than this setup. It’s perfect. You get the nice, tight, musical bass of a sealed setup.  But because you have two it’s balanced and it SHAKES the floor and the seat under every butt in the boat. This is easily my favorite part of my entire system. Power these subs with a single JL HD1200/1. It’s expensive but you will thank me later. 

This setup will leave you with a loud, powerful, but BALANCED system that will be the envy of anybody who steps in your boat. I can’t emphasize balance enough. Nothing worse than a boat system that shines in one zone but makes the others look/sound bad. This was the issue with my boat two years ago. I was sending 400 watts to each of the Rev10’s at native 4ohm (via two syndx4’s), but I only had the one JL 12W3 powered off bridged channels 5&6 of an aftermarket syndx6. The tower outshined the sub. That’s why I went to dual 12W6’s last year and dialed back the Rev10’s to 300w at 2ohm.  It’s much more balanced now  

Look up my write up from last year on installing dual 12W6’s. It’s not that hard. 

208B0348-B1F0-4413-801B-B35B8331BECD.jpeg

0BE757CE-425C-4FD0-BB8D-C192377B6E9F.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2

@IXFE I was literally reading your thread last night and this is what got my wheels turning. So thanks for spending my money! Would you care if I message you if I have any questions? 

I just did this to my 2020 23 MXZ.  Not because I want the loudest booming system, but because the stock sysytem is pretty bad.  I am on the other end of the tower speakers. I dId not like the REV 10s. I had them in my last two boats.  For my family they were super harsh and overpowering.

The 4 icons are awesome. I did put the wetsounds 2.3 on them and they scream! If I ever do decide to go back to a Rev the amp will run 4 with no problem. I did replace the sub with a w6 and an HD750. It hits hard. I might add a second w6, but I hate giving up the space. You are going to need the harness’ for the amps. If you don’t care about the warranty, then just cut the wires.  If you do cut the wires, I think you will loose the stereo integration and surf beep. Not a 100% sure on that. I’d maybe try the 4 icons. When powered right they are pretty impressive. Also be prepared to spend a lot of money.  JL and Wetsounds is big money and probably the most expensive on the market. If your doing it yourself you can save a lot. But a w6 box well built by your local installer and water proofed will run you 800 bucks!  

Edited by dwc032

@dwc032 Thanks for the info. I have read your thread also. I have heard the Rev10s before and decided to go with them. I just bought everything last night!! Went with 4 rev10s powered by a 2.3, syndx4 for the cabin speakers, 2 JL 12w6 powered by the JL HD1200/1. Will be building my own boxes and install. Back in my younger days I competed pretty heavily in stereo comps so I am pretty comfortable with this install. I am still looking for a couple of harnesses though or the parts to build my own. Everyone is out of everything right now. I was really surprised I was able to find the JL stuff b/c everyone seems to be out of it. Excited to get it done and see how it sounds. Hoping its all done for our big Memorial Day bash! 

4 hours ago, alcoprop said:

@dwc032 Thanks for the info. I have read your thread also. I have heard the Rev10s before and decided to go with them. I just bought everything last night!! Went with 4 rev10s powered by a 2.3, syndx4 for the cabin speakers, 2 JL 12w6 powered by the JL HD1200/1. Will be building my own boxes and install. Back in my younger days I competed pretty heavily in stereo comps so I am pretty comfortable with this install. I am still looking for a couple of harnesses though or the parts to build my own. Everyone is out of everything right now. I was really surprised I was able to find the JL stuff b/c everyone seems to be out of it. Excited to get it done and see how it sounds. Hoping its all done for our big Memorial Day bash! 

Nice, I am ok with installing amps and such. But boxes not so much…lol. Yeah I hear ya about the JL stuff. I ordered my JL amp and sub in November. I didn’t get the amp and sub till February.

5 hours ago, alcoprop said:

Looking forward to seeing it.  I'm working on mine currently.  I would only suggest to go with another 2.3 for the subs to keep everything matching.

10 hours ago, LSVRIDER1 said:

Looking forward to seeing it.  I'm working on mine currently.  I would only suggest to go with another 2.3 for the subs to keep everything matching.

Yeah I am usually majorly against mis matched items but the 1200/1 is such a nice amp since that amp does 1200 at any Ohms

Edited by alcoprop
38 minutes ago, alcoprop said:

Yeah I am usually majorly against mis matched items but the 1200/1 is such a nice amp since that amp does 1200 at any Ohms and W6 is dual 4

2.3HP or a SDX2 would fit the bill if you're doing a pair...but you pretty much have to do two 12w6 subs though. That's how I ended up with 2.

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2021 at 9:34 AM, IXFE said:

Let’s talk!  What you’re describing is what I call factory enhanced sound. After years of ordering my boats as stereo delete I do believe the factory system has improved enough to be a good foundation to build upon. So my last three boats have all had the factory system and then I enhance from there, just as you describe. 

Let’s examine all three zones:

CABIN: The factory cabin is probably the least of your problems. I know some guys who enhance tower and sub while leaving the cabin alone. The WS Revo 8 is a good speaker and it can take a lot of power. My approach has always been to rip out the factory amp and replace it. Your boat has an OEM Syndx 6 that powers the cabin and sub. Plan on replacing that with either a Syndx 4 or Sinister SDX4. I use the Syndx 4 and my cabin speakers scream with the gain set at aprox 60%. 

TOWER: This is the zone that REALLY benefits from a new amp. Your boat has an OEM Syndx 2.  Rip that out and replace with a Syndx 2.3 HP. That will feed 300 watts to each can. Tune it and see if you still want the Rev10’s. I have two pair of Rev10’s, and I’m not really fan of the Icon8’s. But I think it’s worth listening to them under new power before you punt them. If you do decide to go with the Rev10’s, that same Syndx 2.3 HP will power the Rev10’s very nicely. Again, I’d do this before deciding you also need a Rev410. IMHO they are ugly and totally overkill. Most guys in this forum are happy with ONE pair of Rev10’s (I’m not one of them, I run two pair of Rev10’s always). So TWO pair is really a lot. 

SUB: You’re on the right track with your 12W6 plans. Two years ago I ripped out the factory sub and put in a 12W3 in a new sealed box. It was a huge improvement but still left me wanting more. Last year I installed two 12W6’s in sealed boxes and it hammers. I was so happy with it it I did the same this year. Honestly, I will never do more than this setup. It’s perfect. You get the nice, tight, musical bass of a sealed setup.  But because you have two it’s balanced and it SHAKES the floor and the seat under every butt in the boat. This is easily my favorite part of my entire system. Power these subs with a single JL HD1200/1. It’s expensive but you will thank me later. 

This setup will leave you with a loud, powerful, but BALANCED system that will be the envy of anybody who steps in your boat. I can’t emphasize balance enough. Nothing worse than a boat system that shines in one zone but makes the others look/sound bad. This was the issue with my boat two years ago. I was sending 400 watts to each of the Rev10’s at native 4ohm (via two syndx4’s), but I only had the one JL 12W3 powered off bridged channels 5&6 of an aftermarket syndx6. The tower outshined the sub. That’s why I went to dual 12W6’s last year and dialed back the Rev10’s to 300w at 2ohm.  It’s much more balanced now  

Look up my write up from last year on installing dual 12W6’s. It’s not that hard. 

208B0348-B1F0-4413-801B-B35B8331BECD.jpeg

0BE757CE-425C-4FD0-BB8D-C192377B6E9F.jpeg

Quick question, I see a lot of people using non-marine amps. I’m ok with car subwoofers, but I’ve always worried about using JL car audio. What’s your experience with using car amps in the passenger helm?

Never had a problem using non marine amps, that being said there is a large difference in production quality in a JL amplifier vs your run of the mill Best Buy budget purchase amp.

if the amps are on a board, and not frequently wet you will be fine. If you boat in an area where mid day downpours are frequent I would be more concerned about the boat dash electronics, and may consider the wet-sounds or JL marine amps to be safe. 

but we only get rain in Nov-April out here so Regularl JL it is

• Like 2

Had warrantee not replaced my factory Wet Sounds amp that died, then I would have purchased a similar size Polk amp for about a third of the cost. 
My boat sleeps under a canopy and I rarely get daytime downpours.