Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

B&W Hitch for 2021 23 LSV

SandS

Folks,

I want to use the B&W Hitch to tow my '21 23 LSV but I'm concerned that I'll be pushing/exceeding the capacity of the 2" ball.  The 2" ball on the B&W hitch has a max capacity of 7,500 lbs. regardless of the size of shank.  My dealer told me that my boat and trailer weigh 6,500 lbs dry.  Add almost 400 lbs of gas and I'm already at 6,900.  Even assuming I don't put any lead in the boat, add gear and I'll be pushing/exceeding the 7,500 lb limit.  I prefer the looks and the functionality of the B&W over any other hitch.  What are your thoughts?  

I've only towed about 100 miles since I've had it.  Usually it's only towed a few times a season because it's hoist kept.  It is loaded up generally when towing.  Mid June we will be taking a trip that's 8 hours each way, so that will be the telling event however I suspect there to me no issues.  Both the boat and truck will be loaded up on that trip but I'm not going to have a full tank of gas.  It will get fueled up upon arrival to both mitigate weight and spend less money on the fill up since the destination has cheaper fuel than my home location.  

Next week I'm taking it in for the 10 hour service.  When I pick it up, I'll be filling it up, so I expect to have a better understanding then.  I'm 50 miles from the dealer.  

2 hours ago, SandS said:

@SlayerThat's great to know.  Do you load your boat up much before towing to the lake?  

I run a B&W at all times. Mine is rated at 10k. And I know for a fact it has had almost 14k on it with my dump trailer. 

I also pull my 25LSV loaded with fuel, lake ready 90 miles round trip every weekend. 

• Like 2

The forces generated during normal towing shouldn't be an issue. I would be more concerned with what happens during an emergency maneuver or an accident. Buying a hitch because its pretty versus one correctly rated for the intended load is the perfect example of form over function.

• Like 3

As a lawyer I'm sure you know that in the event of an accident where someone exceeded any rating..... is easy money for anyone involved. Also would be an issue getting the insurance company to pay out if you are indeed over.

Can you just buy another hitch? Here's a B&W with 14.5k max. Not suggesting this is the one you need, but there are other options out there.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/B-and-W/BWTS20040B.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google | Shop - Trailer Hitch Ball Mount&adgroupid=87631909362&campaignid=1672411804&creative=404001588902&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9023859&matchtype=&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz5KYpOy38AIVf__jBx0XPg28EAQYASABEgJkRPD_BwE 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
2 hours ago, tbullard said:

The forces generated during normal towing shouldn't be an issue. I would be more concerned with what happens during an emergency maneuver or an accident. Buying a hitch because its pretty versus one correctly rated for the intended load is the perfect example of form over function.

Thanks for your input @tbullard

1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Edit... I see the restriction is the 2 in ball, not the hitch. Interesting. I would find another hitch...

Thanks for your input BlindSquirrel.  For what its worth, I do believe liability insurance would cover damages caused if you are overloaded, just like they cover you when you speed, drive recklessly or otherwise cause damages through your negligence.    Regardless, I don't make these decisions based on whether insurance will cover me, I make them on whether I believe I'll be safe.  That's why I posted this to get folks' thoughts.  

I also spoke to the dealer that sold me my hitch last night. He spoke with B&W about the ratings.  The hitches are tested well above the rated capacity and can in fact haul much more than the rated capacity.  B&W is mitigating risk in case of a failure of the ball.  If I haul in excess of the capacity, and the ball fails, causing damages, I would likely lose a case against B&W. 

I'll likely load my boat up and weigh it before deciding what to do with the hitch.  

• Like 2