Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Love for the older boats

Baggerlance

1 hour ago, ROFF said:

How does the 08 LSV compare to the older boats in terms of simplicity and DIY serviceability?   Love my boat but could use some more room.   Really like the looks of the modern windshield but have no desire for a boat I can’t wrench on.    Was thinking of picking one up for winter to do another refurb and make a super deluxe surf boat.   

Not exactly sure how my 2008 compares to older boats since it is my only inboard but I’ve been super happy with mine. My biggest concern is when I have to replace the power wedge actuators again and isn’t the 5 lobe versus the obsolete 3 lobe design. I am NOT a mechanic but when I was troubleshooting a rough running condition I was able to do all the basics (cap, rotor, plugs, wires and even fuel filter. My issue turned out to be a bad ECM but since I had done everything else it was a quick trip to a mechanic for his diagnosis and repair. 
I keep reading about the dash but have never given it a thought. 
One of these years I’m going to replace carpet and add surf tabs but for now it does everything our family needs. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Sixer said:

A year ago last February my wife and I started looking for an older boat. I'm a Malibu guy through and through, but got out voted on this purchase. We've put a lot of work into it but it is like a brand new boat finally this spring. It's a 1993 (25th anniversary) Prostar 190 with a LT-1.

20210424_140141.jpg

That's one of the best all time. Great hull. Beautiful lines. MC has had some amazing S&S boats over the years. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sixer said:

A year ago last February my wife and I started looking for an older boat. I'm a Malibu guy through and through, but got out voted on this purchase. We've put a lot of work into it but it is like a brand new boat finally this spring. It's a 1993 (25th anniversary) Prostar 190 with a LT-1.

20210424_140141.jpg

I spent a lot of days in the 1990s slalom skiing behind one of those that my neighbor had.  Great ski boat!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, justgary said:

Elite Craft makes some very impressive wood grain looking fiberglass boats, so you can enjoy both the nostalgic masterpiece look and feel and the relative low maintenance of fiberglass.  I caught this one in town recently and asked them if I could take a few photos.  I didn't check the HIN, but guessing by the registration numbers, I would say that this is a 2012-ish model.

http://elitecraft.com/classic-inboard-runabout/custom-made-fiberglass-boats/

spacer.png

That said, I'll stick with my 1999 Sunsetter LX until I decide to build my own knockoff out of wood.

Beautiful boat, wonder how much damage I could do without a prop guard on the trailer 

15 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Beautiful boat, wonder how much damage I could do without a prop guard on the trailer 

I'm not so sure that the owner cares, but that's a good point.  He has people to take care of those things for him.  My new trailer came without a guard, so I quickly fabbed one up.  It is aluminum, but I think it is stout enough to prevent a direct strike.

7 hours ago, justgary said:

I'm not so sure that the owner cares, but that's a good point.  He has people to take care of those things for him.  My new trailer came without a guard, so I quickly fabbed one up.  It is aluminum, but I think it is stout enough to prevent a direct strike.

yeah, I dont have any people.  It is a beautiful boat.

11 hours ago, justgary said:

I have people...well...me..I guess I’m a people.🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, SteveQ said:

Old boat and new boat.  2003 VLX was a great boat

That's a great shot. I'm far more attracted to the athletic look of the older boats. Why are the newer boats nearly twice as deep? Is there a huge wake advantage for slalom, wake and surf over the older boats?

6 minutes ago, Baggerlance said:

That's a great shot. I'm far more attracted to the athletic look of the older boats. Why are the newer boats nearly twice as deep? Is there a huge wake advantage for slalom, wake and surf over the older boats?

Slalom no. The new boats are generally terrible for this. 

Wake debatable

Surf yes

• Like 2
On 5/7/2021 at 8:52 PM, Baggerlance said:

So you can put more weight in them for bigger surf wave

• Like 1

While replacing my rub rail I discovered build quality is not just on the new boats.... Meh, just caulk it and cover it up! All three corners were not fit together very well. Those are not all scratches on the back.. streaks after a quick wipe, was crazy dirty under the old rail. 

B474CB8F-093D-4DCF-902D-6619E4A4A7C8 A7677BB3-3CAE-4FEF-A615-4AF8B4119C21 2599528C-7688-4DD2-A204-52FA6777901F

1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

While replacing my rub rail I discovered build quality is not just on the new boats.... Meh, just caulk it and cover it up! All three corners were not fit together very well. Those are not all scratches on the back.. streaks after a quick wipe, was crazy dirty under the old rail. 

B474CB8F-093D-4DCF-902D-6619E4A4A7C8 A7677BB3-3CAE-4FEF-A615-4AF8B4119C21 2599528C-7688-4DD2-A204-52FA6777901F

Where did you get the rub rail and do you have part #s?  Also, I just need to fix the area around my bow (insert and channel), do you have any of the old material?

591304e8b914d_Bowrubraildamage2resized.thumb.jpg.dc8348ced3834044258ae0ec7fa6e332.jpg 

2 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Where did you get the rub rail and do you have part #s?  Also, I just need to fix the area around my bow (insert and channel), do you have any of the old material?

591304e8b914d_Bowrubraildamage2resized.thumb.jpg.dc8348ced3834044258ae0ec7fa6e332.jpg 

I got the new rail from a dealer in St. Louis a couple years ago. ~$500 for the both the rail and insert if I remember right. The dealer had to call malibu for the p/n, I'll see if I have it somewhere. 

I do have the old rail till tomorrow, cut into 4 foot lengths so it fits in our trash can. It was pretty rigid, so would be really difficult to reuse I would think. My rail was held on my rivets every 6 inches. Not too huge of a deal to get them out with a sharp drill bit. Not sure If I'll use ss screws or rivets again. We are getting the boat partially wrapped before I put the new rail on.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I can't believe I found it.... Base PN: 5050101 Insert PN: 5050111. Shipped direct, I think, from Malibu. California at least.

• Like 1

Nice !  Love the 5 foot long bow stainless steel grab rail. Love the clean lines on a V shaped ski boat. 
Love the sun pad on the back...  and, oooh !!...  a teak swim platform!!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RedNakedness said:

1992 Sunsetter  - Still going strong.  Picked her up for $3900.  Fixed the holes in the bottom.  Got out the sewing machine and slapped on some new upholstery (po boy style) and a few bells and whistles through the years.. Countless memories.  (can't seem to get the image link feature to work tried 3 different hosting methods, Amazon, Dropbox and ImgBB).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfc44ggqqdmx771/boat-2020.jpeg?dl=0

I right-clicked on your image, clicked on "Copy image address", then came here and clicked "Other Media" / "Insert Image from URL" and pasted the link.

spacer.png

• Like 2
9 hours ago, RedNakedness said:

1992 Sunsetter  - Still going strong.  Picked her up for $3900.  Fixed the holes in the bottom.  Got out the sewing machine and slapped on some new upholstery (po boy style) and a few bells and whistles through the years.. Countless memories.  (can't seem to get the image link feature to work tried 3 different hosting methods, Amazon, Dropbox and ImgBB).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfc44ggqqdmx771/boat-2020.jpeg?dl=0

Who Recent is that Photo and explain the hole in the bottom please

13 hours ago, RedNakedness said:

I’m obligated. 👍 here’s your boat

boat-2020.jpeg

Edited by Baggerlance
On 5/7/2021 at 7:30 PM, SteveQ said:

Old boat and new boat.  2003 VLX was a great boat

IMG_7888

Side question. I was thing about selling my 2003 VLX. How much do you think they go for?  Never sold a boat before. Complete restore done