Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Love for the older boats

Baggerlance

I just love the older boats. Range from the mid-80's through mid 2000's. Maybe its just my age and fun experiences with better autos from that era that had decent engineering behind them. I also enjoy getting my hands dirty even though I'm a heavy-duty computer guy/desk jockey, and I've never lost money on a boat knock on wood. I can afford a new boat, but I'm not attracted. I like owning outright and having a high quality boat that is well beyond the depreciation curve.  Maybe I'm missing something with new boat flipping, but I haven't looked into it much. Curious who else is in this camp and what they like most about owning older floaters. If you are a new boat flipper that owns for a few years and sells without any loss chime in because I'm not convinced that's workable, unless supply constraints are creating a flipper market.

• Like 2

It has been a flipper market for 20 years with the exception of 2007-8.  That is one driving force for new boats.  

Having owned these boats for 20 years, I appreciate the sentiment, but replacing things here and there all the time on my older boat is not something I have to do with new boats.  I would rather be on the water.  

5 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

It has been a flipper market for 20 years with the exception of 2007-8.  That is one driving force for new boats.  

Having owned these boats for 20 years, I appreciate the sentiment, but replacing things here and there all the time on my older boat is not something I have to do with new boats.  I would rather be on the water.  

2 or 3K screens?  No thanks..

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I hear ya and I'm not trying to create any controversy here. I also appreciate the no worries part of new vehicles and own several. There is just something about the way these boats are quality built for the long haul and older can be as enjoyable as new. The new boats are beautiful and tempting, but all I see is an expensive Mercedes that when then break after warranty are not only super difficult for a hands-on guy to repair but also premium expense repair. The older boats are simple, cheap, and once restored pretty darn reliable.

In terms of the short term buy new/sell new, after tax is there a break even or better?

17 minutes ago, 94MalibuEchelon said:

I could keep going. The list is so long of the standard features on my old ‘94 Malibu Echelon that no longer exist on the new Response. 

Nicely written post. I was reading thinking yep, yep, yep... and mines not a Response. :salute:

• Thanks 1

in a ‘14 axis you get the last year of that old reliable and debugged and improved indmar drive train and older malibu cockpit and running gear.  only thing digital is the super reliable DOS settings menu at the base of the tach speed analog gauge combo built into gauge as well as the motor , data, conditions, depth, cruise speed display. the only modern feature included is SG control indicator. auto set wedge deployed ted   and green cruise idiot light indicator on gauges as well, no black box, no screens , toggle switches and push buttons for everything, 

all of this is stupid reliable and the CAT  water delivery replumb kit built in from factory, i can list surf all day with no cat/manifold damage and do that at 4-6 gallons/hr!!!

and the fatax tower is probably the best rear facing towers ever on a malibu axis

1030 hours/7 years and only a thermostat snd valve cover gasket leak for motor issues,  i only had a 2 yr Indmar warranty with only the gasket leak as the only claim

so glad cause i suck at fixing stuff 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1

The SV23 hull, styling and performance (slalom/barefoot) hit a home run for the brand at a great value.  Hard to beat that combo.  +1 on many of the comments above.

If you are pondering affection for older boats, old Chris Crafts are visual masterpieces.

• Like 3

Elite Craft makes some very impressive wood grain looking fiberglass boats, so you can enjoy both the nostalgic masterpiece look and feel and the relative low maintenance of fiberglass.  I caught this one in town recently and asked them if I could take a few photos.  I didn't check the HIN, but guessing by the registration numbers, I would say that this is a 2012-ish model.

http://elitecraft.com/classic-inboard-runabout/custom-made-fiberglass-boats/

spacer.png

That said, I'll stick with my 1999 Sunsetter LX until I decide to build my own knockoff out of wood.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, justgary said:

Elite Craft makes some very impressive wood grain looking fiberglass boats, so you can enjoy both the nostalgic masterpiece look and feel and the relative low maintenance of fiberglass.  I caught this one in town recently and asked them if I could take a few photos.  I didn't check the HIN, but guessing by the registration numbers, I would say that this is a 2012-ish model.

http://elitecraft.com/classic-inboard-runabout/custom-made-fiberglass-boats/

spacer.png

That said, I'll stick with my 1999 Sunsetter LX until I decide to build my own knockoff out of wood.

I know a guy who built a wood barrelback setup for slalom; tabs, center pylon etc.  Was beautiful.

I'm still running my Tantrum.  I love it and get compliments on it all the time... it's the ultimate ski tug for me, never lets me down..  A buddy of mine just picked one up and he is completely redoing it, going to be great.  The hull just skis so well and the whole thing is so dead simple and reliable.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, 94MalibuEchelon said:

Great post  !!  Yes !!  Love the older  Malibu’s. Heck yeah. I’m the original owner of a  1994 Malibu Echelon LX bought out the door in California for $22,000. 

And like you Baggerlance, I’ve got the financial wherewithal to pay cash for a new Malibu Response.    But WHY!?  Love the clean lines of the older Malibu’s V shape — instead of current duck shape Response.  Awful looking boat. 

I know...  I’m old. But I like easily visible gauges, instead of touch screens. 

I like carpet on the floor and carpet on the gunnel sides instead of fiberglass or Seadeck. 

I love my easily removable teak swim / ski platform with multiple open grooves to easily grab any spot on the platform for easy entry from lake to boat. 

I love the 66 inch long open bow stainless steel grab railing bars. 

I believe the current Response open bow grab handle is 8 inches long. Ridiculous.   Old grab rails were over 5 feet long !!

I love the standard garage perfect 19 foot / 7 inch boat. (Current Response is 20 feet / 6 inches.)

I love the 92 inch beam. (Current Response at 95 inches ....  acceptable.)

I love the 2450 boat weight.  (Current Response is 3100 pounds.)

I love the stern center mount gas cap.  Perfect location. 

I love the three person stern bench seat that adjusts upwards for a complete sun deck.   I sleep at night on the lake boat camping on the raised 3 person bench seat!  Can not stand the 2 seats /rear right and rear left seat configuration on the current Response. 

Love the low, sleek profile of older Malibu’s. It’s a “sports car” on the water. The older Malibu’s look like IndyCars instead of NASCARS. 

Love the engine box with cup holders in the back.  Serves as a nice foot rest while on 3 person bench seat, too. 

Love the sweet lines and simple color and graphic schemes of older Malibu’s. 

I could keep going. The list is so long of the standard features on my old ‘94 Malibu Echelon that no longer exist on the new Response. 

PS — The 2021 Ski Nautique 200 checks a lot of the boxes for the looks / appeal of 1990’s ski boats at a nice price. Hope Malibu is paying attention.  

I have the same boat!  Add a jump/judge's seat.....game changer, seriously.  Face it forward on the spotter's side with feet up on the spotter's seat, or keep it backwards behind the driver's seat.  Either way the gunnel and engine cover are perfect armrest heights.  I agree with the back seat that was a really cool feature, we use ours a lot in the sun deck position.

Other than that, I wish it was wider, but can't complain.

Mine was the second inboard to hit our old lake when I first brought it home in 2009, and some guys were like "Yeah, must be nice, we can't all afford to go out and buy a brand new boat".  I had to point out to them that it was 15 years old, and it actually took some convincing, they didn't believe me.

Also I think it's 2,750 lbs curb weight for the Echy Lx.

• Like 1

How does the 08 LSV compare to the older boats in terms of simplicity and DIY serviceability?   Love my boat but could use some more room.   Really like the looks of the modern windshield but have no desire for a boat I can’t wrench on.    Was thinking of picking one up for winter to do another refurb and make a super deluxe surf boat.   

9 minutes ago, ROFF said:

How does the 08 LSV compare to the older boats in terms of simplicity and DIY serviceability?   Love my boat but could use some more room.   Really like the looks of the modern windshield but have no desire for a boat I can’t wrench on.    Was thinking of picking one up for winter to do another refurb and make a super deluxe surf boat.   

the 08 is the first year of that generation of hull, which went through 2013.  It would definitely surf, especially listed.  The 08 in particular had a "one and done" pre-maliview dash design that a lot of folks don't like.  It was also a super weird production year because the economy crashed and the actual number of boats produced is pretty small in comparison to later years.  

If the deal were right it's a great boat.  I'd look for one with the 8.1 big block for a surf monster.

26 minutes ago, Sixer said:

It's a 1993 (25th anniversary) Prostar 190 with a LT-1.

That boat needs an American Flag off the stern light pole!