Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New battery no power

So I’ve never had this happen before and I’m hoping I’m just missing something stupid. I have a 2001 sportster LX. Took out storage from the winner charge the battery and even got a new battery. Everything hooked up and absolutely no power to anything. I’ve never seen or used a battery switch on this model. Am I missing something? Had the boat for almost 15 years and never had this issue. Thanks if anyone has any insight

Typically it means that there is still a wire that is not connected to the battery.  Not that I have done that before.  Check for a small wire near your battery that is just laying there.

Alternately you could have blown the main breaker

So I don’t see any other wires on the two main battery cables. Where would the main breaker be? Anyone have an idea on this boat?

Or possibly on a panel under the throttle.  Maybe in front of that panel.  Maybe kind of under the dash....

It might be a good idea to visually check everything to make sure you didn't pick up a rodent problem.

iirc my sportster main breaker was a small box shape behind observer seat lean-back.

it's mounted near the center of the boat near the top of the opening.

that box had a red button, maybe 1/2" diameter?

it may take a very firm touch to reset that breaker.

Check for a main breaker coming off the battery switch a fusible link inline with the main wire running to the house circuit 

11 hours ago, justgary said:

@tvano, you just jogged my memory.  My 1999 Sunsetter has a red breaker on the starboard rear of the engine, next to the cannon plug.

I found that red button with a 50 on it. Pushed it and it didn’t really move at all. 

So looking at my setup. I don’t see a battery switch . The cables off the battery enter a column and then look like they head down under the deck towards the engine. I see the red reset button. I click it and still no power. Is this where the main circuit breaker is?

One thing I do notice that I’ve never seen before after winter storage is that all of the exposed bolts I have a layer of rust on them. Everything is always been looking real clean. I think when it was winterized the Marina left some water at the bottom of the engine well that sat there all winter

13 minutes ago, scooter44 said:

So looking at my setup. I don’t see a battery switch . The cables off the battery enter a column and then look like they head down under the deck towards the engine. I see the red reset button. I click it and still no power. Is this where the main circuit breaker is?

yes, that is the master breaker.  as @oldjeep suggested, measure the voltage across the breaker.  if breaker is closed (normal) you will measure very near 0 volts across the breaker.  if you are seeing anything greater it's likely open (no current supplied to the boat) and needs to be reset or replaced if it won't reset.

On 5/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, scooter44 said:

One thing I do notice that I’ve never seen before after winter storage is that all of the exposed bolts I have a layer of rust on them. Everything is always been looking real clean. I think when it was winterized the Marina left some water at the bottom of the engine well that sat there all winter

You need to treat the engine at least once a month with an anti corrosion spray.

So I’m working on this today. I have the cover off the area where the main breaker is. Both screws that mount the breaker are out but having trouble getting access to it for replacement 

Not yet. But the engine will turnover but won’t start .No power  anywhere else. Blower, bilge, stereo,:.

Edited by scooter44
Just now, scooter44 said:

Not yet. But the engine will turnover but no electrical anywhere else

Use an ohm meter to see if it is making a good connection.  Odds are that it isn't the problem.

8 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

gear in neutral?

My wife was mowing the yard the other day and stopped the mower to move something.  She got on and it wouldn't start.  It was just dead. 

She pushed it over to the driveway and frumped about it until I got home.  I quickly tried the clutch/parking brake and decided I had better test the solenoid, which is buried under the seat.  During the process of lifting the top shell and seat, the PTO lever quickly moved to "Off" from the spring tension on it.  I looked at her, turned the key, and it started.

It is *always* something simple.

7 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

crank but no fire is classic kill switch.  The starter won't crank if the boat is in gear (for obvs reasons if you think about it)

Kill switch wouldn't keep his radio or blower from working.  I'm still betting that there is a ground wire not attached to the new battery ;)

• Like 2

It’s not the Killswitch. I just have no power do anything on the boat. So I’m assuming the fuel pumps not going to kick and start the engine but it will crank