Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift Capacity Issue M220

TexasTurner

Went from a 21 MLX to an M220. My HydroHoist lift, lifts the M220 just fine and it stayed up for a week or so originally until it slowly sank into the water. Now it only stays up for 5 minutes or so. Still lifts without a problem. It only sinks until the boat is just in the water and then stops. It’s probably still lifted about a foot. 

According to HydroHoist I have a 6000 lb lift, which is obviously just at the limit of the M220. It lifted and held the 21MLX just fine, obviously a lighter boat. 

My question is, why will it lift it for 5 minutes but not 5 hours? It originally held it for a week or so before it sank but now it never stays up for more than 5 minutes. 

I have noticed that the only “relief valve” letting air out when lifted is the front valve. No other valves leak air after the pump is shut off. 

I know nothing about these lifts so any suggestions would be appreciated. 

P.S. Quote to add on a bigger center tank was $4,000

Is the leaking valve bad, or is it supposed to leak to control pressure so you don't burst the tank?

I suspect it is for pressure control, in which case it is doing what it is supposed to do.  The air you pump in is probably a little cooler than it is after it sits in the tank and warms up for a few minutes.  That builds up the pressure and trips the relief valve.  The boat then sinks until some of the weight is supported by the hull, and the valve closes again.

Do you have a pressure gauge on the tank so you can see what is happening?

11 hours ago, TexasTurner said:

Went from a 21 MLX to an M220. My HydroHoist lift, lifts the M220 just fine and it stayed up for a week or so originally until it slowly sank into the water. Now it only stays up for 5 minutes or so. Still lifts without a problem. It only sinks until the boat is just in the water and then stops. It’s probably still lifted about a foot. 

According to HydroHoist I have a 6000 lb lift, which is obviously just at the limit of the M220. It lifted and held the 21MLX just fine, obviously a lighter boat. 

My question is, why will it lift it for 5 minutes but not 5 hours? It originally held it for a week or so before it sank but now it never stays up for more than 5 minutes. 

I have noticed that the only “relief valve” letting air out when lifted is the front valve. No other valves leak air after the pump is shut off. 

I know nothing about these lifts so any suggestions would be appreciated. 

P.S. Quote to add on a bigger center tank was $4,000

If I am  not mistaken, the M220 has a dry weight of 6200 lb.  That is over you lifts limits.  I am currently looking at lift options for a future purchase of an M220 or 23 LSV and was looking at an 8k lift.
Add a full tank of gas and you are over 6800 lb.

Edited by Hemmy
7 hours ago, Hemmy said:

If I am  not mistaken, the M220 has a dry weight of 6200 lb.  That is over you lifts limits.  I am currently looking at lift options for a future purchase of an M220 or 23 LSV and was looking at an 8k lift.
Add a full tank of gas and you are over 6800 lb.

My research shows that it’s 5400 lbs dry. It’s just weird that it would lift it at all if it was too heavy…..and even hold it up for a week

8 hours ago, justgary said:

Is the leaking valve bad, or is it supposed to leak to control pressure so you don't burst the tank?

I suspect it is for pressure control, in which case it is doing what it is supposed to do.  The air you pump in is probably a little cooler than it is after it sits in the tank and warms up for a few minutes.  That builds up the pressure and trips the relief valve.  The boat then sinks until some of the weight is supported by the hull, and the valve closes again.

Do you have a pressure gauge on the tank so you can see what is happening?

I do believe the valves are used for that purpose yes. But the tank operates on 1-3 PSI only I believe. 

I do not have a pressure gauge on it.

According to HydroHoist, the neighborhood has apparently been having a problem with beavers chewing out the holes on the bottom of the tank. He’s going to come look at it next week. 

These style of floating lifts are pretty simple machines. They have one or two valves depending on the style. No pressure release, just a basic valve to let the air our, or let air in when the pump is on. Sounds like you either have a failed valve or a hole somewhere else. My guess would be its down low on a tank low enough that when fully inflated it allows air out, but once the air leaks out enough for the internal water to cover the hole it stabilizes. I would fully inflate and look for bubbles.

As to being overweight. If it gets your boat out of the water to your satisfaction you are good. You can't cause harm to either the boat or the lift by being overweight.

5 hours ago, barefootpaul said:

These style of floating lifts are pretty simple machines. They have one or two valves depending on the style. No pressure release, just a basic valve to let the air our, or let air in when the pump is on. Sounds like you either have a failed valve or a hole somewhere else. My guess would be its down low on a tank low enough that when fully inflated it allows air out, but once the air leaks out enough for the internal water to cover the hole it stabilizes. I would fully inflate and look for bubbles.

As to being overweight. If it gets your boat out of the water to your satisfaction you are good. You can't cause harm to either the boat or the lift by being overweight.

My thoughts exactly. I am thinking I have a bad valve or a hole, possibly from a beaver. 
I just wish I knew where the valve that I think is leaking is located exactly. It’s bubbling at the front between the center and left tanks so I am assuming it won’t be an easy job that I can accomplish myself. Seems like it might be under water also.

4 hours ago, Bman1 said:

If I'm not mistaken hydrohoist should be able to lift about 20% over their listed capacity. 

I think I’ve heard that as well. My thought is that if it lifts it, it should be able to hold it. 

9 hours ago, TexasTurner said:

My thoughts exactly. I am thinking I have a bad valve or a hole, possibly from a beaver. 
I just wish I knew where the valve that I think is leaking is located exactly. It’s bubbling at the front between the center and left tanks so I am assuming it won’t be an easy job that I can accomplish myself. Seems like it might be under water also.

The valves(s) are located in the pump house on the dock. The hoses should be pretty easy to identify, so my guess is that it's a hole in the tank. Should be serviceable though. Let us know what the dealer says.

• Like 1

FYI: my wife’s M235 floats on a 6000 pound lift and has for a couple of years with no problem. The tanks are mostly underwater except the top couple of inches. As someone else said, “if it lifts it then it will float it”.  Having said that, the first thing I would check is the hose clamps unless you are absolutely sure the bubbles are not from them. 

This is where it “leaks” from. Air does push out here and in the back when the pump is on but the minute I shut the pump off it only pushes out here until it sinks. 

A619F0DC-2C3C-4757-AF88-6BF1DFB1619A.jpeg

Edited by TexasTurner
On 5/7/2021 at 4:53 PM, TexasTurner said:

This is where it “leaks” from. Air does push out here and in the back when the pump is on but the minute I shut the pump off it only pushes out here until it sinks. 

A619F0DC-2C3C-4757-AF88-6BF1DFB1619A.jpeg

You have a hole in the tank for sure. Bummer. Dealer should be able to repair it though.

That is probably HDPE plastic.  You can buy hot air welding rods and fix it yourself.  A small air nozzle is best so you don't deform the surrounding plastic as you weld.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, justgary said:

That is probably HDPE plastic.  You can buy hot air welding rods and fix it yourself.  A small air nozzle is best so you don't deform the surrounding plastic as you weld.

Does Harbor Freight sell the tool?  After my experince with HDPE last year (Moby Dock) I think one needs to be pretty skilled/well-equipped to do a repair.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Does Harbor Freight sell the tool?  After my experince with HDPE last year (Moby Dock) I think one needs to be pretty skilled/well-equipped to do a repair.

Basically just a hot air gun, but a small nozzle is much better than a standard one.  A "Hot Air Rework Station" make for solder repair is probably a better tool since it has changeable nozzles and temperature control.  I noticed that the huge rain forest internet store with two-day delivery has several for a reasonable price, e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/Rework-Solder-Station-Soldering-Welding/dp/B07Y7ZCVT2/ref=asc_df_B07Y7ZCVT2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385265192774&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14780033069668134606&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011694&hvtargid=pla-843668251174&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=82240531081&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385265192774&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14780033069668134606&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011694&hvtargid=pla-843668251174

The trick is that the filler rod and the base material need to be heated until translucent so that they will stick well, but they will start to sag badly at just above that temperature.  Heating a small area controls the droop, as does just letting it cool some and coming back to that area if it is too hot.  I have found that tilting and pointing the hot air nozzle toward the direction I'm welding allows the just welded area to cool quickly and helps preheat the unwelded area ahead.

• Like 1