Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help: Raw Water Pump 351 PCM

Question, I was changing the impeller on my boat after noticing the boat was getting hot and found the impeller bad.  While doing the work I noticed that the bearing on the raw water pump look to have fallen out. Does anyone have experience rebuilding the pump or is it just better to replace at 300$+.  Also while removing the old pieces of impeller it looks like trans cooler holes was tightened too tight causing a slight bend in the cooler. Can I use pliers to repair? 1986 Malibu skier PCM 351. Cheers 

33 minutes ago, kevman12 said:

Question, I was changing the impeller on my boat after noticing the boat was getting hot and found the impeller bad.  While doing the work I noticed that the bearing on the raw water pump look to have fallen out. Does anyone have experience rebuilding the pump or is it just better to replace at 300$+.  Also while removing the old pieces of impeller it looks like trans cooler holes was tightened too tight causing a slight bend in the cooler. Can I use pliers to repair? 1986 Malibu skier PCM 351. Cheers 

You can rebuild the pump.  You can tap the mount flange with the shaft and bearings out of the pump body fairly easily.  Remember to catch the o-ring that should be in the gap between the seal and the bearings.  You will probably need access to a press stand to remove the bearings from the shaft and press new ones on.  After that, change the seal in the body, and put the o-ring on the shaft as you slide it through the gap.  

Hopefully you have only chucked one of the two bearings (they are stacked); otherwise you may have done some damage to the shaft or pump body.  Inspect everything carefully to make sure it is worth a rebuild.  Posting pictures here might help.

You might have luck whittling a stick the proper size to reshape the transmission cooler pipe.  Take your time and try to not damage it more than it already is damaged.  If it isn't leaking, you might just leave it alone.