Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Burnt rubber smell 350 Monsoon 2012 MXZ

Sharpag01

Hello Crew,

I made some modifications to my boat this winter and now I am dealing with a burnt rubber smell while underway.  I decided to build my own surf pipe and built a merge collector (combine exhaust manifolds) so that I only had one exhaust outlet instead of the dual setup similar to the traditional FAE.  I also did a muffler delete during this time.   I re-used one of the long rubber 90 elbows that was original to the boat but it was after the muffler (not connected to the stainless exhaust dump) and I am wondering if this is the source of the issue.  I have measured the outside temperature of the hose at the exhaust dumps and it is about 150 degrees F on the starboard side and 130 degrees F on the Port side.  I also did a cooling system re-plumb as I found out this engine did have an issue with the old plumbing and that seemed to help cool things down a bit, but I still haven't determined the source of the rubber smell.  I wonder if this could be a cooling system blockage or catalytic convertor issue.   I am also thinking to try a silicone hose that has a higher temperature rating instead of the rubber.  Any ideas on where to start?  I know pictures would help so I will try and post some as well.

I would start by removing the rubber hoses and looking inside them.  It sounds to me like you are getting something too hot, so you may need to reengineer your mods. 

You could easily sink your boat by burning through an exhaust hose. 

Thanks Gary, lve checked this and I did notice some rubber left on the stainless piping after it was removed.  It was getting much hotter before the cooling replumb, the replumb helped drop the temps.  Ill check it again.  I was also concerned about a lower hose failure sinking the boat so I did install a flapper in the surf pipe for peace of mind.  I have been monitoring the lower hose and its nice and cool.

Another point to mention is that I just installed a new impeller a month ago.  I did notice that when using the fake a lake water sprays in the bilge so it could be that I am sucking in air if there is a loose connection.  I will investigate this and the transmission cooler for any debris.

16 minutes ago, Sharpag01 said:

Another point to mention is that I just installed a new impeller a month ago.  I did notice that when using the fake a lake water sprays in the bilge so it could be that I am sucking in air if there is a loose connection.  I will investigate this and the transmission cooler for any debris.

IF water sprays in the bilge there is definitely a loose hose, impeller cover leak or something else bad going on.

So tonight I went out in the shop and went through most of the cooling system.  I checked the transmission cooler and it was clear, this is on the raw  water pump discharge side.  I began checking all of the suction side hoses and fittings.  So far I have found 3 loose hose clamps and a cracked/broken fitting threaded in the perko flush valve.  This must have been the water spraying into the bilge issue when connected to a garden hose.  I believe I am most certainly sucking in air caused by the above issues.