Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 23 MXZ stereo replacement.

dwc032

This will be a long post. I also want to thank @G Spot and @djheywood for all their help. 

I have begun the stereo replacement on my 2020 23 MXZ. I have had the boat for a year and the factory stereo is just not up to our family’s expectations. I added a second pair of Icon 8s and am replacing the stock Wetsounds sub with a JL W6.  I am replacing the two Wetsounds DSP amps with two Wetsounds tuneable amps.  

One Syn6 for cabin speakers and one 2.3 HP for the tower speakers. I know the 2.3 HP is a bit of an overkill for the Icons, but I will just tune the amp conservatively. I am adding a JL HD750 for the sub. And I had all the connectors made so I didn’t have to cut the factory harness.  I am hoping I can fit a ported box under the helm.  

The DSP amps just don’t do the speakers any justice. I started to take the sub out from under the helm and the sub was only screwed into the box with two wood screws.   

Once I got the sub out, the box was lag bolted by one screw and it wasn’t even screwed down all the way so the box rocked back and forth by about the 1”.  There were four holes on the bottom for air to escape, so not air tight at all. There were also wires hanging down and resting on the box, which is probably why there was a horrible rattle. I will update with pics as I get more and more work done. 

17B7F004-CAC3-449A-929F-4FE08081C7B3.jpeg

8F440D43-2473-4191-900F-1E1FEF8326DD.jpeg

81683253-D178-4778-B919-3761E3882145.jpeg

AFEABE86-5B99-4F25-9348-0C214AA18327.jpeg

Edited by dwc032

@dwc032, i have done this same project many times. You’re going to be very happy with the results. Your biggest challenge now is building a box for the sub.  Ported boxes are tough to fit under there, but there’s a little more room in an MXZ than an LSV. Are you hiring the job out or DIY?  Do you have a heater?  If so, that will make it even more challenging. Also, are you planning to reuse the factory grill for the new sub?  That decision will also play a role in the outcome. Last question... why did you buy a SynDX 6 if you were adding a separate HD 750/1 for the sub?  The SynDx 6 is going to have two unused channels (in the factory system it uses 5+6 bridged to power the sub). You could have saved a few bucks and bought the Syndx 4 for your cabin. It’s identical to channels 1-4 on the Syndx6. 

Great job so far.  It's so funny to see your experience on the sub box.  Ours must have been built and installed by the same boob at the factory.  The quality control on the stereo stuff is just not up to where it should be on a 150k+ boat.  

You will be very happy with your results.  I barely fix a non-ported box in my mxz with the heater.  If you can make it work you will be a houdini!

Have fun and take your time.  Congrats on taking the plunge!

8 hours ago, IXFE said:

@dwc032, i have done this same project many times. You’re going to be very happy with the results. Your biggest challenge now is building a box for the sub.  Ported boxes are tough to fit under there, but there’s a little more room in an MXZ than an LSV. Are you hiring the job out or DIY?  Do you have a heater?  If so, that will make it even more challenging. Also, are you planning to reuse the factory grill for the new sub?  That decision will also play a role in the outcome. Last question... why did you buy a SynDX 6 if you were adding a separate HD 750/1 for the sub?  The SynDx 6 is going to have two unused channels (in the factory system it uses 5+6 bridged to power the sub). You could have saved a few bucks and bought the Syndx 4 for your cabin. It’s identical to channels 1-4 on the Syndx6. 

Yeah I can’t wait to get it done. Might take me a few weeks with work and kid stuff. 

I am doing the work except the box and I have a heater. And after my buddy coming over he said there probably is no way I can fit a ported box in there. I will reuse the factory grill. And I already had the Syn6 from my old boat so I just decided to run it. And maybe I can add another sub in the future. 

4 hours ago, djheywood said:

Great job so far.  It's so funny to see your experience on the sub box.  Ours must have been built and installed by the same boob at the factory.  The quality control on the stereo stuff is just not up to where it should be on a 150k+ boat.  

You will be very happy with your results.  I barely fix a non-ported box in my mxz with the heater.  If you can make it work you will be a houdini!

Have fun and take your time.  Congrats on taking the plunge!

Yeah maybe the boxes were made on a Friday...lol I agree this kind of workmanship on 150k boat is ridiculous!  

Ok I got the amps and sub installed. I am horrible about taking pics along the way. But here are a few. The system sounds absolutely amazing and the W6 is sick!!!  My buddy did an excellent job on the sub box. I think I could have done a ported box, but would of had to do a lot of custom stuff. The Wetsounds 2.3 amp on the icons is awesome. I am pretty happy how it turned out. 

F039759E-D1EB-41DF-AE18-CB7414B21A67.jpeg

0E546757-424B-47ED-B671-9D843686A5BE.jpeg

2EC57636-A864-4DEE-BFAE-91314B464C59.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Congrats!!  I'm happy for you.  

HOWEVER....you're making me think I should do the same.....

#stopspendingmymoney

The reason I didn't do it earlier is because I didn't want to mess up the electronics already in the boat.....lol  Well after reading other threads and having the RCA plugs made and not having to cut any wires, it was a really easy install.  

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

So in hindsight would you all have just ordered your boat with no stereo? I am ordering a T250, Soundpack 3, 12 inch sub, with 2 Rev 10's on the tower, and its over $5,000... I am NOT a do it yourselfer on this kind of stuff.

45 minutes ago, usanaples said:

So in hindsight would you all have just ordered your boat with no stereo? I am ordering a T250, Soundpack 3, 12 inch sub, with 2 Rev 10's on the tower, and its over $5,000... I am NOT a do it yourselfer on this kind of stuff.

Would order it either no stereo OR with just basic cabin speakers (no towers or sub) because this option gives you all speakers and black box. 

Talk to some stereo shops, see what they would charge for what you would want installed, and weigh it out. 

Also keep in mind that for anyone who is any bit specific about their audio, even IF you spend the $$$ for upgraded Malibu system, you’re still going to think it sucks because of the amps, and will want to replace them with tunable versions. 

This is really interesting.  It has never crossed my mind to just order a boat without the stereo, or just the basics.  Guaranteed if people starting doing this Malibu would up there game on stereos systems in a hurry.  

17 minutes ago, Shea said:

This is really interesting.  It has never crossed my mind to just order a boat without the stereo, or just the basics.  Guaranteed if people starting doing this Malibu would up there game on stereos systems in a hurry.  

Just curious what you are expecting/wanting?

The current offerings are pretty good for a factory setup. Malibu is never going to come out with a blow your hair back setup, nor will they ever go back to letting us adjust the amps., wont make sense from a warranty stand point.

Also, if you want the stereo controls on the Malibu touch screen make sure you order the base stereo.

Edited by COOP
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

They also offer a 5 year warranty on everything, which should be considered in my opinion. The stereos now are leaps and bounds better than they used to be. And honestly, 8-9/10 people I talk to outside of this forum are more than happy with their setup. I totally get some some people want more but I feel those are the 2-5% of owners. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, COOP said:

Just curious what you are expecting/wanting?

The current offerings are pretty good for a factory setup. Malibu is never going to come out with a blow your hair back setup, nor will they ever go back to letting us adjust the amps., wont make sense from a warranty stand point.

I was just trying to say that would be a great option for people that know they are likely to upgrade.  Save the money up front and buy what you want.  For me, I'm happy with what it comes with.  My bad, I definitely wasn't clear on my thoughts. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shea said:

I was just trying to say that would be a great option for people that know they are likely to upgrade.  Save the money up front and buy what you want.  For me, I'm happy with what it comes with.  My bad, I definitely wasn't clear on my thoughts. 

Last time I looked I saw that the TOTAL stereo cost for rev 10’s and 2nd sub was around 20k before discounting (call it 15k out the door). 

For 15k you can easily purchase 8 8” cabin speakers, 1 (or 2) good subwoofer(s), 2 rev 10’s, amplifiers, headunit, and have it sound much much better. 

On my 2016 I went totally custom with Exile speakers and a JL Sub.  Sounded great but it was a lot of work! On my 2019 I kept it stock with one pair of Rev 10s.  Admittedly sub was week and the controls left something to be desired.  On my 2021, I again went all stock with two pairs of Rev 10s.  This time however, the system was greatly improved…better audio controls and the sub definitely hits harder.  No complaints with the sound.  Actually pretty impressed, especially for being on the water.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, ctvandy23 said:

On my 2016 I went totally custom with Exile speakers and a JL Sub.  Sounded great but it was a lot of work! On my 2019 I kept it stock with one pair of Rev 10s.  Admittedly sub was week and the controls left something to be desired.  On my 2021, I again went all stock with two pairs of Rev 10s.  This time however, the system was greatly improved…better audio controls and the sub definitely hits harder.  No complaints with the sound.  Actually pretty impressed, especially for being on the water.

The stereo controls were definitely much improved with the 2020+ OS. Another good point. 

7 hours ago, usanaples said:

No, I wanted the screens and the 2020 OS.  I am sure you could do something custom and really cool, but it might cost a lot more than you think.  The 2020 OS is really cool, you won't be disappointed. I never thought the stock system sucked. It was actually really good, but I wanted more.  And having done plenty of stereos in the past it was pretty easy.  But the way it sounds now was well worth it. Reach out to @Brandonloos21 or @COOP they both have been a real asset for stereo stuff and answered all my questions.  If you have any questions of me shoot me a PM. 

To answer your questions, no I would not do a stereo delete. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1