Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift Help

guitarcrazy

Our new 2021 LSV 23 is heavier than our 2017, so I sold our 5500# lift and upgraded to a 7000# lift.  I am almost ready to put it in the water, but I need to set the bunks first.  My old lift only had two bunks, and the 7000# lift has 4.  The hull on the 2021 is a bit different from the 2017, so I am not sure how to best locate the bunks.  Anyone out there with a boat lift that can give some suggestions on good starting locations for the bunks?  I would rather not move them repeatedly while it is in the water.  Thanks for any help.  

Thanks.  I have 4 bunks now so not really sure how to setup the extra set.  I guess I'll give it a go and float the boat on by hand and hope for the best.  

I have the exact same question. I am using a friend's while malibu is building mine(hopefully next week) but the measurement I took off the trailer bunk was 47 in the back and 53 in the front. That's the outside long bunk. Does that sound right? (2021 23 LSV) 

Edited by Bman1

I pick up our '21 23 LSV this Thursday.  The Dealer-recommended specs for bunks is 33" spacing for 2 parallel, with at least 10" of clearance from the frame for the tracking fins - 18" for outdrive clearance.

I need to order bunk riser extensions, and the lift manufacturer recommended using 4 vs 2 bunks.  Anyone have thoughts on this and spacing recommendations for the 2nd pair?

32 minutes ago, SavageCarl said:

I pick up our '21 23 LSV this Thursday.  The Dealer-recommended specs for bunks is 33" spacing for 2 parallel, with at least 10" of clearance from the frame for the tracking fins - 18" for outdrive clearance.

I need to order bunk riser extensions, and the lift manufacturer recommended using 4 vs 2 bunks.  Anyone have thoughts on this and spacing recommendations for the 2nd pair?

Most boat lifts I am familiar with are only running two.  However, if you were to run 4, I would space them out further than the 33" and they would need to be taller as well to fit flush. 

32 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

Most boat lifts I am familiar with are only running two.  However, if you were to run 4, I would space them out further than the 33" and they would need to be taller as well to fit flush. 

The 7,500# hoist I bought a couple years ago for our VLX came with 4 bunks.  However, they mounting brackets are 2 different sizes.  The taller ones are the only ones that allow for the necessary depth to keep the fins clear when loading and unloading.  It barely fits compared to the VLX.  I could not use the second set of bunks without new brackets.  FWIW, I've spaced my bunks based on the trailer to start with then measured the C/C line of the stringers and matched that dimension.  It seems to me that having the boat weight bear on the bunks directly under the stringers is the most appropriate location.  If I used the other bunks, the would be spaced like the outter most bunks on the trailer however I'm not sure that's necessary.  There are no hoists I'm aware of on our lake with 4 bunks and there are a few 23 LSV's our there, a couple G23's, and a couple MC's on the lake.  All the MC's are XT22 or NXT22, so a bit of a different animal.  

I agree the boat doesn’t need four bunks as two is very common.  I would be asking the lift dealer why 4 is needed and if the lift requires it for distribution of weight.  Hopefully not.  

On 5/3/2021 at 6:21 PM, hethj7 said:

I agree the boat doesn’t need four bunks as two is very common.  I would be asking the lift dealer why 4 is needed and if the lift requires it for distribution of weight.  Hopefully not.  

The lift manufacturer suggested 4 bunks as more of a guide to proper alignment.  I followed up with him and it has nothing to do with weight distribution or load capacity for the lift.  He must see some interesting results from people being poor landers!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2018 23 LSV and my lift dealer set up the bunks so they are just outside the chines on the hull if that makes sense. Seems like most are set up on here just inside the chines. Is this ok? Does the boat have two sets of stringers that cover the current bunk setup?

I think he set them up as is because we are in a shallow area of the lake but if needed I think I could move them in and lower them closer to the cradle. I’m on a Floe 8000 pound VSD lift. 

25 minutes ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

I have a 2018 23 LSV and my lift dealer set up the bunks so they are just outside the chines on the hull if that makes sense. Seems like most are set up on here just inside the chines. Is this ok? Does the boat have two sets of stringers that cover the current bunk setup?

I think he set them up as is because we are in a shallow area of the lake but if needed I think I could move them in and lower them closer to the cradle. I’m on a Floe 8000 pound VSD lift. 

IIWM, I'd be moving the bunks such that the boat bears on the bunks directly beneath the stringers.  Measure them from the V-Drive access hatch in the floor and match that.  It should be close to the inner bunks on your trailer at the stern.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

IIWM, I'd be moving the bunks such that the boat bears on the bunks directly beneath the stringers.  Measure them from the V-Drive access hatch in the floor and match that.  It should be close to the inner bunks on your trailer at the stern.  

Are there two sets of stringers in those boats or just one set? I thought I read somewhere there is one outside and one inside the chine?

Just now, SouthsideBoarder said:

Are there two sets of stringers in those boats or just one set? I thought I read somewhere there is one outside and one inside the chine?

The stringers essentially run the length of the boat.  There are perpendicular structural members as well, but the main load is on the 2 longitudinal stringers. 

1 minute ago, Slayer said:

The stringers essentially run the length of the boat.  There are perpendicular structural members as well, but the main load is on the 2 longitudinal stringers. 

Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 1:05 PM, guitarcrazy said:

Our new 2021 LSV 23 is heavier than our 2017, so I sold our 5500# lift and upgraded to a 7000# lift.  I am almost ready to put it in the water, but I need to set the bunks first.  My old lift only had two bunks, and the 7000# lift has 4.  The hull on the 2021 is a bit different from the 2017, so I am not sure how to best locate the bunks.  Anyone out there with a boat lift that can give some suggestions on good starting locations for the bunks?  I would rather not move them repeatedly while it is in the water.  Thanks for any help.  

@guitarcrazyhow did you end up setting up your bunks? I have a lift company coming out to upgrade our weight capacity and bunk spacing this week. This thread has been a huge help to ensure we have enough clearance for the outdrive. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually still tinkering with mine.  I set the outer bunks kind of in the same spacing as my trailer, but when lifted they really weren't doing anything to support the boat.  Just yesterday I lowered the boat and went in the water to move the outer bunks closer to the inner bunks.  This has helped to distribute the load better.  It still isn't perfect, but better.  I think it is hard to get it just right until you get the boat on the lift and can see where the bunks are in relation to the hull chines.