Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Wakesetter 247 Steering Cable change - Notes

My steering started getting tight toward the end of last season and I knew what was happening.    I was dreading the project.

Ordered the cable online.   If you peek under the dash where the cable goes behind the subwoofer you can get a glimpse of the model written on the cable jacket.   The specific replacement for this boat is SEASTAR SSCX15422 22 feet.   I bought it at marinepartssource.com for $165.

Now the fun stuff the installation.

Whoever designed this is installation is just plain mean.

1.  Get into the starboard storage bay next to the motor armed with a 7/16 wrench, large vice grips and a crescent wrench and a bright light.

2.   enter the compartment with your feet toward the bow and head to the stern.   

3.   remove bottom nut while steering wheel is in far right position

4.   Move steering back to more of a central position.   

5.   Vice grips to hold Black metal sheath on stern side of mount.    

6.   Move hose out of the way to access.   Very tight here.   You need to loosen nut on the end of the cable.   This will take some time because you can only move a little bit at a time.   Took me close to 1 hour to remove cable nut.

7.   Once remeoved tie rope through the hole at the end of the cable.

8.  Remove 4 bolts holding until to steering wheel.

9.   Pull through.   You will have to reach behind subwoofer to help it get through the floor.

10.  Tie rope onto new cable and reverse process.    

11.   Total PITA took about 4 hours.  I am a big person.   6.3-230.   Helps if you are much smaller and younger.

• Like 2