Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Pro Waterski Tour

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

The pro tour is back and with a much simpler scoring format to follow. Live broadcasts through The Waterski Broadcast Company. Watch the finals today if you are inside!

Watched post event while it is raining.  How unfortunate the surepath boat deviation criteria caught out Allie Nicholson.  The cumulative error total that necessitated a rerun for her where she fell and missed the advance cut.  50 cm of total error is only 3.25 inches per buoy if helping / hurting skier the same for each buoy.  Seeing some commentary from 'average' but clearly very good drivers indicating that it is an easy system to keep within tolerance (on BOS), surprising to see a top level driver miss and it turn out to end the skiers day.  Bummer and no fault of hers, that might need a rethink.  It's not like years ago when post analysis determined whether a run was within tolerance and corrective action was not possible.

1 @ 43 off to win men's open, damn impressive & 6 in a row for Regina, I think she has this slalom thing figured out.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:14 PM, UWSkier said:

I wish I could get my 22 half as smooth as these guys' 38.

I always hated 22 off.  Don't know why, but maybe it was the wake? 

17 minutes ago, Woodski said:

Watched post event while it is raining.  How unfortunate the surepath boat deviation criteria caught out Allie Nicholson.  The cumulative error total that necessitated a rerun for her where she fell and missed the advance cut.  50 cm of total error is only 3.25 inches per buoy if helping / hurting skier the same for each buoy.  Seeing some commentary from 'average' but clearly very good drivers indicating that it is an easy system to keep within tolerance (on BOS), surprising to see a top level driver miss and it turn out to end the skiers day.  Bummer and no fault of hers, that might need a rethink.  It's not like years ago when post analysis determined whether a run was within tolerance and corrective action was not possible.

1 @ 43 off to win men's open, damn impressive & 6 in a row for Regina, I think she has this slalom thing figured out.

her ability to recover from a terrible turn at 39 and still run the pass is unparalleled. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Woodski said:

I talked to a lead judge that was there and asked their opinion of that reride for Allie since Drew was vocally against it on the webcast. They said it’s a good system that is consistent but agrees that it’s very tight and will most likely be evolving through the season and probably before the next pro tour stop. 

The women skied great. There is some amazing talent there. I’m excited to see what Manon and Jamie can do through the year  obviously Regina is amazing and still love watching her ski.

Man I can’t stand Nate. You can’t deny his skill and skiing but I just enjoy watching Will, Freddie, tgas, Ben, really anyone ski more. They have so much more personality and have done more for the sport. Plus they don’t have that other black eye...

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

Pro Tour back at it for '22, another win for Malibu sponsored Regina, 8 straight wins at this tourney.  Back from a complete ACL tear last year, impressive.

Just so the rest of us can feel bad, the broadcast posted:  water temp 82, air 78.

• Like 1

Reg has her 39s looking better than they've looked in some time. Maybe ever. She's just on another level. I think Jamie Bull is the heir apparent in the women's game though. 

On the men's side, it'll be a few years before anyone challenges Nate. Charlie Ross might have a shot. He's getting into 41 regularly and grew up with ZO on Gen5 engines. Learning how to ski efficiently earlier than anyone else out there. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, UWSkier said:

On the men's side, it'll be a few years before anyone challenges Nate. Charlie Ross might have a shot. He's getting into 41 regularly and grew up with ZO on Gen5 engines. Learning how to ski efficiently earlier than anyone else out there. 

None of the current men ski as light on the line as Nate.  The gap is only gonna get wider when autosteer hits.  I agree its gonna take a kid raised on ZO to catch up (if not Charlie Ross).   

On the new technology side, not only the potential of autosteer you can add in the potential of EV propulsion.  Although personally, I am not so sure EV ski boats will ramp up as soon as some feel it may.  Nate is significantly a step ahead of his competition, he can basically check up after he clears his nearest competitor so hard to gauge exactly how many buoys better he is than 2nd place.  Regina also even at her advanced time in her career so she does have some youngsters nipping at her heels.

As for an impact to the consumers of slalom, hopefully Malibu continues to design, develop and manufacture a world class tournament ski boat.  On BOS it was noted Will Asher is no longer a Malibu guy, Reggie and Tgas are the slalom team these days.  Glad to see they still sponsor the Malibu Open. 

ahopkins22LSV

Huh. I didn’t notice that Will wasn’t a Malibu athlete anymore. That sucks. I wonder what he is going to do. His 41 pass looked great in the finals and Freddie was skiing good too. We all know my stance on Nate…

Charlie Ross has definitely been a fun follow from last year. Once he puts some weight and muscle on it will be really interesting I’d say. Neily skis really light, smooth and rhythmic too. 

I think 2023 will be interesting and telling for the TXi, it would be the 7th model year since this latest version was introduced. 

It would make sense that all the top pros would ultimately prefer to train primarily behind the Nautique since that's what pulls 90% of pro tournaments, for better or for worse.  Malibu pretty much only pulls the Malibu Open here and gets random assignments at regionals and nationals.  Malibu pulls a few international tournaments too.  San Gervasio in Italy, Malibu Magic in France, etc.

It'd break my heart to see Malibu completely abandon their three event roots, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Though the fact the new Prostar is selling like hotcakes to public and private lake types alike is super encouraging.