Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pressure at Zero

Havesometrav

Have an 06 vlx with 340 monsoon and started it up today getting oil pressure low alarm. Oil pressure is reading dead zero.

Hoping it’s just the oil pressure sender? I think this has the digital pressure sender can anyone verify??

Edited by Havesometrav

I think there are 2 oil pressure senders, one for the gauge and one for the alarm.  If they're both saying no pressure perhaps take it to a mechanic.  Did you check the oil level?  Oil all over the bilge?

Yes oil level is good. No oil leakage anywhere. I can’t find a good way to post a picture of what I’m pretty sure is the sender but I think there’s only one on this boat? 

There is always the possibility that zero means zero.  I had that happen on an 82 K5 Blazer. It is just interesting that oil pressure pumps are so reliable that no one ever trusts the instruments. 

Well I checked the oil as soon as I turned it off and it was high as it would be right after you shut it off. Waited 30 minutes checked again and it was good. So that should mean the oil was circulating. 

Verify oil pressure with a manual gauge, most autoparts stores loan them with a deposit. 

There's also a voltage-pressure chart on the bakes website. You can test your current sensor to see if you have a wiring issue or a sensor issue.

10 hours ago, Havesometrav said:

Well I checked the oil as soon as I turned it off and it was high as it would be right after you shut it off. Waited 30 minutes checked again and it was good. So that should mean the oil was circulating. 

That would mean the oil level was ok. I don’t know of any way to verify oil pressure other than a manual gauge, or just running the engine to see what happens. (which is a bad idea) Most likely the oil pump is fine and the sender or gauge is bad, but the safer play would be to assume no oil pressure until you confirm oil pressure. 

1 hour ago, electricjohn said:

Did they go digital in 2006? What year did they move up to MEFI-5?

I think even MEFI 5 has two senders.  One is just a switch so the ECM knows to allow the fuel pump to run (or conversely, to shut off the fuel pump when oil pressure drops).  The other is the pressure transducer that you are thinking of.   @Steve B.'s post is asking you to check to see if you indeed have two senders, not one.  If so, they both need to work properly.

Started it today and oil pressure was reading 54 at idle. No alarm all normal... thinking it’s the sender or the wiring now. 

also in the bakes link I posted for the sending unit that’s all that is there. There’s not two senders or sensors.