Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Response LX

Mendy

Our Malibu Indmar motor fuel pump went south and our service tech cannot find a replacement. They recommended we upgrade system with new pump and fuel lines since we cannot locate one. Anyone have a suggestion as to were I might be able to locate a direct replacement?

3 minutes ago, Mendy said:

Our Malibu Indmar motor fuel pump went south and our service tech cannot find a replacement. They recommended we upgrade system with new pump and fuel lines since we cannot locate one. Anyone have a suggestion as to were I might be able to locate a direct replacement?

You may not find a direct replacement, but you can get close.  Check this one to see if it is correct for your engine:  https://skidim.com/fuel-pump-elec-2-fittings.html

Your fuel lines need to be changed because they are 20 years old, not because of the pump.

9 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If it is a $100 CAD I'll take it.  Plus shipping of course.

If your in Canada as well I can do that.  Message me and we can work it out.

Edited by riot138
2 hours ago, justgary said:

You may not find a direct replacement, but you can get close.  Check this one to see if it is correct for your engine:  https://skidim.com/fuel-pump-elec-2-fittings.html

Your fuel lines need to be changed because they are 20 years old, not because of the pump.

Good point on the fuel lines. Plan to have that done. Thank you

You can get a Carter P90043.  It's not marine rated but many people have used it with great success.

The P61171 is the marine rated version, but the sucky part is it doesn't come with the necessary input adapter.

I put in a P61171 in my '01 Response last year and had to order the P90043 just to get a stupid adapter.  The P90043 is sitting in a box in my garage as an emergency backup.

However, another member here found this fitting and was going to try it, but he's never come back.  https://agscompany.com/product/brass-fuel-connector-3-8-hose-male-5-8-18-inverted/

I just ordered one of those.  Will thread it into my spare P90043 and see if it is a proper fit.  If it is, a P61171 and that fitting will be all you need, and it saves a bundle compared to the Bakes kit.

Edited by UWSkier
  • 1 month later...

Appreciate all the help. Bakes kit installed, upgraded fuel lines, test ride last Friday, all is well with the boat.

• Like 2
On 4/29/2021 at 1:26 PM, UWSkier said:

https://agscompany.com/product/brass-fuel-connector-3-8-hose-male-5-8-18-inverted/

I just ordered one of those.  Will thread it into my spare P90043 and see if it is a proper fit.  If it is, a P61171 and that fitting will be all you need, and it saves a bundle compared to the Bakes kit.

Did it ever get the part?  If so, did it fit?

2 hours ago, justgary said:

Did it ever get the part?  If so, did it fit?

Yes, but you need to get creative with O-rings to ensure it seals.  That and/or goop the threads with fuel safe thread sealer.  If you just run the thing into the pump as-is, it's sure to leak.

PXL_20210506_004717694.jpg

Replaced the fuel pump on my 1997 Response/Monsoon with the Carter P90042 (Actually NAPA B-0168-E) Fitting between fuel pump and filter is male/male 3/8" compression on the top of the fuel pump to 16mm on the filter. After replacing the fuel lines to & from that tank, I have a leak from the bottom of the filter. The original brass fitting is leaking and I would like to replace, but cannot find that fitting anywhere. (Yes, I tried DIM) Open to using a different fuel filter, but that would mean a new line to the fuel rail.

Any ideas?

They got rid of that filter a few years later and relied solely on the low pressure filter near the tank. 

Whether you keep the filter or not, a hydraulic shop should be able to set you up with fittings and flares.