Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Settings and Tips for Wakefoil behind My 19 23 LSV

cmargosi

I am a new foiler and was able to go ropeless for about 10 minutes yesterday.  It is a very cool sensation to have the almost dead quiet of the foil compared to the surfboard.  Things I have learned (1 the hard way): first, don't keep the rope when you get any slack.  I started out with long rope behind boat and used that to get comfortable flying and general maneuvering.  I then started to tickle the edges of the second and third waves and got push, which gave me slack.  I didn't throw the rope as I wanted to be able to keep going when I lost the push, which was a mistake.  I fell, and tried to throw the rope, but I got tangled in the rope and was drug behind the boat for what seemed like an eternity, but was really only 3 to 5 seconds.  I was underwater, disoriented, and I didn't know what was happening.  I then thought I must be tangled in the board, and put my arms over my head to protect me from what I thought was the foil.  At that point I felt the handle slide off my right arm and I bobbed up to the surface.  Somehow my right arm went right inside the handle and I was being drug by my armpit.  The handle was hitting me in the face every time I spun around and I get a pretty good nosebleed, and bruised my upper lit pretty good.  It could have been way worse.  Lesson, don't keep the rope with slack.  Toss it the first time you get slack.   I have had other riders run over the rope when they got too much slack, but luckily they didn't get tangled.  

Second, don't try to save it if you get off balance.  Bail off the board, preferably to the rear.  If you cavitate the wing you will generally fall nose first, and the board generally stops immediately, so that is not a bad way to fall.  One of our riders tried to save it, fell sideways and landed on the board and foil, and got a pretty good bruise.  

I bought the Hyperlite UTE and the carbon foil they sell with it.  It is super sharp, and I am a bit leery of hitting the foil.  I am also hesitant to let other people try it because I would hate for somebody else to get hurt.  I ordered the large board, but it is really too big.  Almost everyone is sold out of foil boards, but I was able to find a smaller Liquid Force Launch foil board, so I will try that one next weekend.  The large UTE feels like driving a barge when I am on it.  Hopefully smaller board will feel better.  

All in all, foiling is a blast, but you need to be way more careful than on the surfboard.  Of course, I also broke my leg wakeboarding last year, so maybe I am a bit of a hazard on the water. :-)

Foil.thumb.jpg.f2d5889a6afa100464b0a7161752e2aa.jpg

Foil Injury.jpg

Edited by guitarcrazy
Edited text

Ouch!  @guitarcrazy that is a scary story. Glad it turned out ok. 

like you I started long line and dropped by riding the second wake. Since that first weekend I’ve been almost exclusively riding the first wake for the last 2 years. However the last few days out I’ve moved back to the second wake and it’s actually really fun getting push in pristine water that is outside of the hill/prop wash. 

haha that first pic has me cringing at how high you are. Not much room for error before you breach the foil!

Hi Shawn, I remember you from back in the MB days.  Loving the foil.  Some gremlins with the new boat, but overall having a great summer.  Hope your crew is as well. 

P.S., I ask everyone who wants to foil to wear a wetsuit for additional cut protection in case they hit the foil.  Not sure I could get anyone to wear a helmet, but at least the wetsuit gives some protection.  Anything else you are doing to make it safer?  

Edited by guitarcrazy

Nice riding.  We tried our first transfers this weekend.  Do you think the straps are safer?  I went without because I feel like it would be better to get away from the board.  I saw a video of an Olaian foil that was designed to be safer but it doesn't look like it is available in the US yet.  

12 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

Nice riding.  We tried our first transfers this weekend.  Do you think the straps are safer?  I went without because I feel like it would be better to get away from the board.  I saw a video of an Olaian foil that was designed to be safer but it doesn't look like it is available in the US yet.  

I don't like the straps at all, but I have a relatively steady stream of foil newbs on our boat who see me ride and think it can't be that hard.  I've found that the foot strap is helpful in getting people from the water to a vertical position on the board (for spazzy folks who can't balance the board with one hand).

If it were me I'd take the strap off.  

I just got a liquid force launch because the large Hyperlite UTE was too big for most of us.  Much prefer the smaller LF.  Much easier to start. 

We have a Slingshot with the front foot strap.  We have it on as we are all new to this and it definitely makes it easier to get up, but I’m not sure I like it as there is no ability to move that front foot around.  I think this weekend I will remove and try a few starts without it.  I would like to see if moving my front foot forward will help with keeping the board closer to the water.  It seems that as soon as I get up the foil comes out high and within a few seconds I breach and that’s that!

17 minutes ago, ctvandy23 said:

We have a Slingshot with the front foot strap.  We have it on as we are all new to this and it definitely makes it easier to get up, but I’m not sure I like it as there is no ability to move that front foot around.  I think this weekend I will remove and try a few starts without it.  I would like to see if moving my front foot forward will help with keeping the board closer to the water.  It seems that as soon as I get up the foil comes out high and within a few seconds I breach and that’s that!

Move your back foot up.  That's going to have a bigger influence on where your weight is relative to the mast.  If you are breaching immediately, you have too much weight over your back foot.

We have the foot strap too and I don't really like it either, but my wife likes it and it does seem to help newbs get from the water to a standing position (haha actually learning to ride... totally different story!).  I've been riding with it for the past 4 or 5 days on the water, and I don't want to say I like it, but I'm getting used to it.

• Like 2

I'm picturing getting up on these just like you would on a surfboard, where you lay down and then pop to your feet as the board starts to move.  How does a foot strap help?

1 hour ago, justgary said:

I'm picturing getting up on these just like you would on a surfboard, where you lay down and then pop to your feet as the board starts to move.  How does a foot strap help?

Picture it more like getting up on a wakeboard or wake skate (or traditional wakesurf board).  

The foil is a big counterweight that wants to pull the board down, so it's hard to get the board popped up perpendicular to the water so it sticks to your feet.  Me, I just hold the board with one hand and the rope in the other till there's a little bit of line tension then I let go of the board and hold the rope two handed and the mrs pulls me up.  However some of my chubbier and less athletic friends apparently cannot stay curled in a ball floating on their back with one hand near their toes.  So the foot in the strap helps to hold the board "up" (perpendicular to the plane of the water) till there's some tension on the line.

Edited by shawndoggy
On 7/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, shawndoggy said:

Picture it more like getting up on a wakeboard or wake skate (or traditional wakesurf board).  

The foil is a big counterweight that wants to pull the board down, so it's hard to get the board popped up perpendicular to the water so it sticks to your feet.  Me, I just hold the board with one hand and the rope in the other till there's a little bit of line tension then I let go of the board and hold the rope two handed and the mrs pulls me up.  However some of my chubbier and less athletic friends apparently cannot stay curled in a ball floating on their back with one hand near their toes.  So the foot in the strap helps to hold the board "up" (perpendicular to the plane of the water) till there's some tension on the line.

Huh.  The board looks long enough to just get up like a real surfboard.  You know, like surfers do, but with a rope in one hand while you lay down.  Thanks for the explanation.

martinarcher

Local guy is selling a Slingshot foil setup and I'm meeting him tonight to get it.  My question for you guys, it comes with a 68 gamma wing.  He's also got an 84 infinity wing for another $400.  Would you guys get them both?  Sounds like the 84 is a good glider and fun on the 2nd and 3rd wakes and the 68 is a much more aggressive foil that is better on the first wake.  Just looking for some advice from anyone who's been on different sized wings.

1 hour ago, martinarcher said:

Local guy is selling a Slingshot foil setup and I'm meeting him tonight to get it.  My question for you guys, it comes with a 68 gamma wing.  He's also got an 84 infinity wing for another $400.  Would you guys get them both?  Sounds like the 84 is a good glider and fun on the 2nd and 3rd wakes and the 68 is a much more aggressive foil that is better on the first wake.  Just looking for some advice from anyone who's been on different sized wings.

Mackite uses the 76 wing on their "all around board" that I have been eying.  I have 0 experience foiling, but have been drooling over foils for a few weeks now.  $400 for the 84 isn't a bad price.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:24 PM, guitarcrazy said:

I'm riding the 76, and haven't ridden the 68 or 84.

however the beta on the wakefoilers facebook group a couple of years ago (when slingshot ruled the roost) was that the 68 was more of a "ride with the rope at faster speed" foil, and the 84 was a "I'm a bit heavier and want more glide" sort of wing.  for folks under 190 the 76 was the go-to compromise between glide and responsiveness to turning.  Recently I've read one of the more active and skilled guys (who is also a rep for a couple of competing brands) mention that that 84 didn't carry speed well (i.e. it can't go to fast), and by nature it's not going to turn as well, having more surface area.  <--- all of this is hearsay, and not personal experience.

@martinarcher IIRC you are pretty light right?  I'd think that the 68 would probably be fine for you at least on the first wake, and that the 84 probably wouldn't be as good as a 76 when you are ready for something bigger.  The 76 is only $550 retail, so I'd prolly learn to ride the 68 then when ready to upgrade use the $400 I didn't use on the 84 to get the 76.

Edited by shawndoggy
martinarcher

Thanks guys.  I'm about 165-180 depending on how many cheetos I've been eating after riding the bike.  :lol:  We do have some heavy riders in the rotation though.  

I actually did some bargaining with the guys and got the entire FWake package (68 wing) with 2 masts and the Infinity 84 wing for $1350.  I figure that's not a bad deal and will get us all riding a foil and having some fun for sure.  

• Like 3
10 hours ago, martinarcher said:

Thanks guys.  I'm about 165-180 depending on how many cheetos I've been eating after riding the bike.  :lol:  We do have some heavy riders in the rotation though.  

I actually did some bargaining with the guys and got the entire FWake package (68 wing) with 2 masts and the Infinity 84 wing for $1350.  I figure that's not a bad deal and will get us all riding a foil and having some fun for sure.  

Nice!  Which masts?  If it's the short one, leave that in the garage!  No doubt you'll be able to learn on the 24" and it's not like you're gonna be changing masts on the boat (well at least I'm not).  

Also, the wakefoil surfer group on facebook is a great place for some tips on getting started.  the slingshot foil academy vids are pretty good too.  

I just looked at the surface area of that 68 wing and there's not much there... definitely a "first wake only" kind of wing (and you may even need to add a little ballast).  But I bet it's pretty easy to get up on and control.  The 84 will probably work really well for the second wake.  Excited to see your progression!

Edited by shawndoggy
martinarcher

Yeah, I got a 41 and 61cm mast.  The 61 is on it now and I doubt the 41 will ever go on unless we have someone that really struggles.  I just don't see the need for it either.  I'm pumped to get out!

On 7/27/2021 at 1:47 PM, martinarcher said:

Yeah, I got a 41 and 61cm mast.  The 61 is on it now and I doubt the 41 will ever go on unless we have someone that really struggles.  I just don't see the need for it either.  I'm pumped to get out!

The 68 wing will work well for you on the first wave. I had the 68, 76 and 84. 

I surfed with the 68 and 76 on the coast. I am 155 lbs and could not pump the 68 back out at all. The 76 pumps nicely at my size. 

I bought the 84 to learn to static start off of my dock and pump around my cove. I didn’t like it much otherwise. 

What tail wing did you end up with?

martinarcher

Sure did.  It's a blast.  Took me a bit to get ropeless on the second wave but man is it fun.  I've got a lot of "pumping practice" to do to get proficient on it but I'm hooked for sure.  Already ordered some new rack forks to reconfigure our tower.  Our little Sunsetter coming down the lake with this think on one side and my Sky Ski on the other must look.....well equipped.  :lol: 

If you can go without the rope on the second wave, I'd suggest riding the first wake for a while.  Really helps with learning what the foil does under your feet and there's a lot more power in the wave so you won't lose the sweet spot nearly as easily.

• Like 1

I'm riding a 84 slingshot and it's soooo much better than the lf I had for kiting. Might and day difference.  The 84 is around 1800cm2 the lf pod is 1200.

I ride 10 minutes ropeless today first wave.  I can get ppl up on the foil at like 4 or 5 mph and easily at 7 or 8.

I have been riding it around 11 and finally figured out for me I like to get up, wait for the driver to find the speed (no perfect pass) then I do a pump into the wave to drop in and go slightly faster than the boat and then if all good throw the rope. 

I too wondered about getting my hand caught, tomorrow I'm going to shorten so I don't have to ravel the rope once or twice before droping.

Shawn I've seen your videos last year as inspiration. I see your carving and pumping further out than I am. I find I can sit right in a certain area yhat gives a lot of push then stand up pretty straight and cruise

I found when I get out and start to lose it you really need to pump and fast m originally I thought the pump was slower until I made a few saves. So much of a workout on my quads and arms for some reason not maybe that was the leading. 

Everyone on the lake wondered WTF is that guy doing! Fun times. 

I cant surf my boat ropeless but foiling seems like way more fun. 

I'll try to upload the video tomorrow or when I'm back from the cabin! 

I also have a 1550cm2 front foil but haven't bothered until. I master the 84. Mac told me they are now using the Neil. Pryde 19 which is 1900 or 1850cm2.  

Edited by Smokedvw

@martinarcher I'm rocking the sunsetter too! All the new boats wonder wtf I'm doing out there. I haven't seen many awesome surfers on the lake really. Loud of dupe boats but that doesn't = dope riders!

Which racks are you guys using for the foil? I just put it on the back vdrive side seats and it balances pretty good until we get to the dock. 

I ride and play right in front of the cabin so not a lot of cruising but I'd like to be able to make more room and have it better secured.