Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Settings and Tips for Wakefoil behind My 19 23 LSV

cmargosi

martinarcher

I would agree, a sweet wakeboat doesn't mean sweet riding.  :lol:

I'm running the Titan ski rack with kneeboard/wakeboard fingers on it.  I run it in the upper position of our tower on the port side and have the wake foil in the kneeboard slot.  I need to come up with something better and ordered some surf fingers for the lower Titan spinner I have so I'll have to do some playing around.  

I'll have to post some pics after we get things settled on where the new boards are going to ride.  With a direct drive it has to go in a rack or we have no space left in the boat.  

Not the best shot, but our board goes in the upper surf fork on our racks.  I try to get the board inserted as close to the foil mast as possible, to keep the mast from being a big counterweight against the board (I'm sure there is a better explanation than that with legit physics terms).

image.thumb.png.7058fcddc84bd6d769d2fd5e8842296b.pngM

So after looking through this thread.....it looks like it would be fun. BUT, spending 1500+ on 1 might be a bit much to TRY it. Anyone have experience with the crazy foil conversion kits? They have a kit for a wakeboard or any other board. I dont think any of my crew would even try this and at 450 bucks LOOKS to be an interesting way to try it out without breaking the bank. 

On 8/6/2021 at 12:39 PM, soonerbilly said:

So after looking through this thread.....it looks like it would be fun. BUT, spending 1500+ on 1 might be a bit much to TRY it. Anyone have experience with the crazy foil conversion kits? They have a kit for a wakeboard or any other board. I dont think any of my crew would even try this and at 450 bucks LOOKS to be an interesting way to try it out without breaking the bank. 

Honestly I think you kind of have to buck up and find a used one that is for wake foiling.  I tried to use my kite foil and its just not big enough to have fun.

This last week out I got a 10 minute session and it was awesome.  @shawndoggy I need to post a video, I got my turns going thinking of your video back there trying to replicate it.  I really feel now that with the turns going, then get into a pump when I start to lose some steam and keep turning back in to pickup that sweet spot where its making more energy to continue.

I havent tried second wake really as I think out boat doesnt make a big enough one to ride, I find it somewhat difficult even going to far out on the first. 

12 hours ago, soonerbilly said:

Well i got and old skurfer off of ski it again.....think I'm going to try to crazyfoil kit. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

Yeah I guess the key is just how big the foil size is in terms of cm2.  I think anywhere around 1800 seems to be the sweet spot ;)

Not sure what their setups are.  I'm excited to hear how it goes!

2 hours ago, soonerbilly said:

1800 huh.......the crazy foil kits come with an 1175cm wing? Guessing that's gonna be kind of small. I'm 225#s so maybe i need to look into a different setup?

yeah from a pure surface area perspective, their "big" wing is still a bit small.  I'm about 175 and the slingshot infinity 76 at 1534 is more than enough wing for first wake with super-minimal ballast and very rideable second wake with minimal ballast.  By minimal ballast I'm talking 400 in lead in the walkway 2 peeps and a full tank of gas, but all mls ballast empty.  Also for reference I run the mast all the way back, so the least amount of leverage over the foil when my weight is balanced.

I'm kinda guessing that the 1175 wing would be on the margin at your weight, but if you run a bit of ballast i'm guessing that it would work.  What do you plan to bolt it to?  Getting the foil mounted a little bit more forward would probably help for you... but could make it tough to keep down for lighter folks in the crew.

Please go for it!  I'm really interested to hear how it works out and I've got a couple of retired wakeboards that would make good candidates for this kind of conversion.

• Like 2

@shawndoggy I bought an old school skurfer off of ski it again for 50 bucks. Looking at the crazyfoil setup can you tell if another front wing could be fitted or are all the companies spacings proprietary? None of my crew are all that adventurous or I'd go ahead and get a decent setup....I have a decent airchair that i ride, NONONE else will even try it.....they've all become surf only lazy freaks lol. 

some foils are interchangeable (AFAIK), but looking at their instructions and illustration of the fuselage, I'm guessing that that wing is proprietary.

The thing I don't see on their website is anybody riding without a rope other than in surf, but then again one of the surfer testimonials says the big wing was too big for anything but tiny waves.

martinarcher

If I didn't stumble across the used foil I picked up I would have been buying a kit and building one for an old surfboard this winter.  I'm intrigued and would love to try glassing up my own.  

That said, I'm hooked.  All I have done is foil since picking that thing up.  I can now reliably run ropeless on 1st and 2nd waves.  It's so chill, quiet, and smooth back on the 2nd.  So fun and not boring because you have to constantly be on your game or it will dump you in a hurry.  I'm getting better at pumping but certainly have a lot to learn on turns and pumping.  

I see a lot of guys turning all the time, what's the deal with that?  At this point I've been running a more "neutral" straight line.  

20 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

I see a lot of guys turning all the time, what's the deal with that?  At this point I've been running a more "neutral" straight line.  

Post some vid @martinarcher!

Me, at least on the first wake, I have to turn all the time or else I feel like I'll get pushed into the boat.  On the second wake there is a sweet spot that will also get me a ton of push... but basically pushes me out in front of the wake where the push falls off a cliff.  So in both cases I have to turn all the time to balance the too fast and the too slow.

Which wing are you running, the 84 or the 68?  Speed?  I do remember when we first started that I could ride straight on the bubble line of the second wake, but that was going really slow.  10mph, I think.  I've since bumped up my speed (11.6 second wake, 12.6 first wake).  

• 3 weeks later...

SO the first few attempts were miserable fails.....me and my stepson tried for quite a while and just couldn't get anywhere. We are both avid surfers and wakeboarders and although this is a different animal we both agreed something HAD to be "OFF" We were trying to use the straps on the board for foot placement but decided to use only the rear strap and move our front foot forward......ding ding ding.....WAY easier. Only issue is that the skurfer doesn't have traction pads and with the aluminum top SHELL it was VERY slippery. So now im on the hunt for an older compression molded surfboard to mount this thing to. Hopefully I can find something quickly since the season is winding down. Anyone got any friends selling a HL Broadcast or maybe and old Ronix Cortez or similar? 

57 minutes ago, soonerbilly said:

SO the first few attempts were miserable fails.....me and my stepson tried for quite a while and just couldn't get anywhere. We are both avid surfers and wakeboarders and although this is a different animal we both agreed something HAD to be "OFF" We were trying to use the straps on the board for foot placement but decided to use only the rear strap and move our front foot forward......ding ding ding.....WAY easier. Only issue is that the skurfer doesn't have traction pads and with the aluminum top SHELL it was VERY slippery. So now im on the hunt for an older compression molded surfboard to mount this thing to. Hopefully I can find something quickly since the season is winding down. Anyone got any friends selling a HL Broadcast or maybe and old Ronix Cortez or similar? 

Sounds like you mounted the foil pretty far back?

I'd think an old wakeboard might be easier to find?  and then just add some surfboard traction, like this?

Mounted just in front of rear foot strap? But clearly after riding it again it was off. But since ive never ridden one or even seen one in person it was just a wild a** guess. Watched some of the videos and TRIED to replicate. Anyways we will get there. 

Share your frustration for sure. This is our first summer with a foil and it has been an experiment all along.  Speed, settings and foot strap use or not…some days it’s been good and others not so much!  No matter though, it’s a lot of fun.  We actually prefer it to surfing.  Not able to drop the rope yet, but optimistic for the future.  The quiet and feeling of floating makes the learning well worth it! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 11:20 AM, soonerbilly said:

Mounted just in front of rear foot strap? But clearly after riding it again it was off. But since ive never ridden one or even seen one in person it was just a wild a** guess. Watched some of the videos and TRIED to replicate. Anyways we will get there. 

Did you ever get to give this another shot with the more rearward mounting?

Edited by shawndoggy

I haven't been back out...I'm hoping for a few more shots before season end but its been raining here on the weekends. We have wetsuits so I SHOULD be able to go out quite a few more times but we shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

On my 2021 25 LSV I run 50% center ballast, 1 wedge, and no surf gate. That way I can cross over left to right and surf multiple riders at the same time but still get a nice wave with lots of push.

IMG_1788.JPG

• Like 2

@xraydoc what setup are you riding?  I'm 10000% ready to upgrade from my slingshot infinity 76 / wf2 foil, but I've got paralysis by analysis on what to get.  Wavering now between armstrong 1550v2 and axis 910png setups, but that's really more a function of who yells the loudest on the FB group than anything else.  Looks like your crew has a pretty wide variety of foils, so I'm curious!

Will definitely be stepping down to a much smaller board too and would take any recommendations you have on that front too.  something in the 3'6" range probably?

6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

@xraydoc what setup are you riding?  I'm 10000% ready to upgrade from my slingshot infinity 76 / wf2 foil, but I've got paralysis by analysis on what to get.  Wavering now between armstrong 1550v2 and axis 910png setups, but that's really more a function of who yells the loudest on the FB group than anything else.  Looks like your crew has a pretty wide variety of foils, so I'm curious!

Will definitely be stepping down to a much smaller board too and would take any recommendations you have on that front too.  something in the 3'6" range probably?

Having ridden both axis and armstrong set ups I would highly recommend the armstrong. LIghter, stiffer and no corrosion possibility.  For behind the boat I would go with 1550v2\72cm mast\60cm fuse\232 or v tail. For a board I do love my Slingshot 100cm dwarfcraft but some heavier riders complain about them breaking. The armstrong boards, freedom foil boards whip and Exo Waters are all great choices. I have ridden all of them and they are all a little different but I don't know that I could pick a favorite of those three. If it holds up, I think the dwarfcraft is my favorite all around board.