Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Small screen turns off- 2018 23 lsv

Just picked up a new to me 2018 23 lsv. Only 185 hours on boat. Everything worked on the test drive, but now the small screen seems to have issues. Turns on ... then went dark. Cycled the power main and it comes back on.. but then turns off. Am I missing something? 

Bummed out,

Mark

42 minutes ago, Markkissner said:

Just picked up a new to me 2018 23 lsv. Only 185 hours on boat. Everything worked on the test drive, but now the small screen seems to have issues. Turns on ... then went dark. Cycled the power main and it comes back on.. but then turns off. Am I missing something? 

Bummed out,

Mark

Battery voltage, battery connections etc...  Does the blower turn on or does the screen go black before that?

Looks like it was low voltage. Only had 11.3 volts. The engine still started, but I am putting 2 new batteries in today. Thanks for the quick accurate response!

7 hours ago, Markkissner said:

Looks like it was low voltage. Only had 11.3 volts. The engine still started, but I am putting 2 new batteries in today. Thanks for the quick accurate response!

11.3 volts isn't that low. I'd bring them into Interstate or somewhere similar had have them tested under load.  I hope I'm wrong but if there's enough power to start the engine the Viper should still boot up. 

Well..not the voltage. Took her out for the first time on Sunday an wouldn't you know it... small screen would come on and then go off. Stayed on just long enough to start and turn the stereo on. Eventually it stayed on consistently, so I am leaning towards a loose cable. There were time at which it was glitchy, bottom third of screen moving/ lines. Have to check that out the cable before next outing.

4 minutes ago, Markkissner said:

Well..not the voltage. Took her out for the first time on Sunday an wouldn't you know it... small screen would come on and then go off. Stayed on just long enough to start and turn the stereo on. Eventually it stayed on consistently, so I am leaning towards a loose cable. There were time at which it was glitchy, bottom third of screen moving/ lines. Have to check that out the cable before next outing.

I'd make an appointment now with your dealer.  You can try reseating all the connections but my guess is the screen is probably bad.  I had to have mine replaced on 2016. 

Good question. What is the warranty on these things? I sort of doubt the electronics are covered for more than a year... but maybe.

I’d you bought private party or 3rd party dealer you would have needed to pay the warranty transfer fee, and yes it would be covered.

if you bought from a Malibu dealer it was probably included in the sale, 

warranty is 5yrs from original owner sale date so even if the original owner bought the boat 1st off the line in July/aug of 2017 you still have over a year bod warranty.

if you didn’t pay for warranty transfer I’d get that paperwork started ASAP if it’s not too late. Replacement screen is $2200 if you did it yourself, probably more if dealer does it. 
cost of warranty transfer is $1500 I believe 

I just bought it from a dealer called Lake Hopatcong Marine in NJ.  It was a trade in that they originally sold. They have yet to get me a title, so I'm sure I can get the warranty transferred. I'll look into that ASAP! Thanks for all the help!

I just read the Malibu warranty. I can't see how they would cover a component for longer than the warranty provided by the component manufacturer. I would guess that Medallion provides no more than a 1 year warranty. Has anyone had a screen covered under warranty 3+ years old or older?

2 hours ago, Markkissner said:

I just read the Malibu warranty. I can't see how they would cover a component for longer than the warranty provided by the component manufacturer. I would guess that Medallion provides no more than a 1 year warranty. Has anyone had a screen covered under warranty 3+ years old or older?

They do.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Markkissner said:

I had mine on my 2016 replaced in 2018 or 2019 can't remember but it was covered under warranty.