Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tightening Thru-Hull fitting nut

sbays09

Hey all,

I am half way into my wakemakers automated ballast install, and I keep thinking back to the thru hulls that I installed. I watched numerous videos and followed instructions, but it was very hard to torque the nut down tight. First off the crescent wrench needed to get around that nut was pretty big and there isn’t much space in the engine compartment to maneuver that thing. Secondly, I couldn’t find a good way to keep the thru hull from spinning while torquing the nut. I had someone below with some pliers in the inside of the fitting pressing outward. The thru hulls got a nice layer of the 3M 5200 adhesive so I’m sure they are fine as I doubt they experience much of a load out on the water. 

Does anyone else have experience with this? Anyone have any issues or leaking that occurred? Also any future advice on installing thru hulls? 

thanks!!

Small pipe wrench. Will open wider then a crescent at a fraction of the overall length. Or a crowsfoot wrench, extension and ratchet. The crowsfoot would not be cheap, likely special order. 

To hold the t-hull, use an open end wrench that fits in side and locks against the tabs. Then put a crescent wrench over the open end to hold it. Requires helper. 

59 minutes ago, MLA said:

The crowsfoot would not be cheap, likely special order. 

Why?  I picked up a set from Princess Auto (oour Harbour Freight) for under 15 bucks.  Is it some weird size?