Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Hours Incorrect Used Boat Purchase

TC_2006_VLX

@TC_2006_VLX how did you find out it was in brackish water?  I agree with others, that is a deal breaker to me, and I'd be concerned about that gel coat ding too and the mistated hours.  All of that combined would be driving me nuts right now, I'd opt for the full refund and come and get it.

2 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

@TC_2006_VLX how did you find out it was in brackish water?  I agree with others, that is a deal breaker to me, and I'd be concerned about that gel coat ding too and the mistated hours.  All of that combined would be driving me nuts right now, I'd opt for the full refund and come and get it.

Good question - because the stuff on the bottom is what a lot of lift stored boats look like - even in fresh water.  Take a look at a boat on a lift up in the Chippewa Flowage some time.  That iron range water is rough on boats.

Edited by oldjeep
54 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Or clean it up and post it up for sale out west with a 20% mark up.

Same here.  My buddy just bought a 2015 23 LSV for 92k here in Bend, Oregon.  Pretty much same condition minus being a salt water boat.

Edited by dwc032

I have seen a lot of fresh water boats that look terrible, and I have seen salt water boats that look great.  Looks won't tell you where it was used.

• Like 2

If it were me I'd take the glass is half full approach and move on with your new boat.  In this market it's really difficult to find a decent boat that fits your needs.  Spend $40 on a gelcoat repair kit and fix that ding yourself.  It's not a difficult job to do and you'll learn a new skill assuming you don't already know how it's done.  Get a new impeller and learn how to install it. It won't be your last.  Any other issues, take the same approach.  In a year from now your boat will be worth what you paid and maybe even more if your diligent about it's care.  Go make some fun memories with your family, it's way more healthy and fun than going the other route...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, german88 said:

If it were me I'd take the glass is half full approach and move on with your new boat.  In this market it's really difficult to find a decent boat that fits your needs.  Spend $40 on a gelcoat repair kit and fix that ding yourself.  It's not a difficult job to do and you'll learn a new skill assuming you don't already know how it's done.  Get a new impeller and learn how to install it. It won't be your last.  Any other issues, take the same approach.  In a year from now your boat will be worth what you paid and maybe even more if your diligent about it's care.  Go make some fun memories with your family, it's way more healthy and fun than going the other route...

Not gonna fix that with a patch paste kit, unless you just want to fill it to keep the fiberglass dry. Its across two colors, one of them being metal fake and its on a hard edge. So you would need two colors of gel coat, the metal flake, and the clear top coat. And it will have to be sprayed in a large area to make sure the flake blends.

2 minutes ago, COOP said:

Not gonna fix that with a patch paste kit, unless you just want to fill it to keep the fiberglass dry. Its across two colors, one of them being metal fake and its on a hard edge. So you would need two colors of gel coat, the metal flake, and the clear top coat. And it will have to be sprayed in a large area to make sure the flake blends.

Yeah, I noticed that and the OP would have to make the call on weather or not he goes as far as having a larger area sprayed out.  It would be far easier to fill it with black and call it a day.  From the pics it looks like it encroaches onto the gold flake color by about 1/8th". That will be hard to notice once it's filled especially below the water line.  

8 minutes ago, german88 said:

Yeah, I noticed that and the OP would have to make the call on weather or not he goes as far as having a larger area sprayed out.  It would be far easier to fill it with black and call it a day.  From the pics it looks like it encroaches onto the gold flake color by about 1/8th". That will be hard to notice once it's filled especially below the water line.  

Yup - that is damage you are only going to see in the garage.  But being below the waterline it should definitely get fixed.

There is a lot of "send it back and get your money back" & "have them pay for shipping both ways" talk.  Does anyone know how hard this is being where he is now?  Maybe it is just me, but this doesn't feel practical being out of state.  But, I haven't done this before.  I feel like I would be aiming for this, but getting 3-5k back would make me happy.    

• Like 2

Pull the Thermostat and see what kind of condition it is in. The "T" stat is always overlooked on regular maintenance.

This should tell how brackish the water was unless your boat has a closed cooling system.

This could also be attributed to your over heating issue. 

On 4/26/2021 at 6:38 PM, Bozboat said:

Dad would say that you may have trouble with two of the elements required to prove fraud. 

Like Dad used to say "Someone was asleep in the class on torts".  And like Mom used to say, "YOu can't be a doormat unless you lie down and let people walk on you".  

Just because boats are in short supply, is not enough in my mind to countenance fraudulent/inethical behaviour.  YMMV

Probably hard to pull back and consider this objectively but if you had flown out and seen the boat in person and seen these issues would have decided to not buy the boat? If you still would have made the purchase would you have tried to negotiate for lower price and if the dealer had said no take its a take it or leave it price would have still bought it or backed out then? If you did get a lower price due to the issues how would that compare to the cost of the travel and your time spent traveling would you have saved more than 2 days of your life and cost of a plane ticket?

First off, I care a lot less about the hours on the engine than the condition and maintenance of the boat. If the boat is properly maintained/serviced I consider it nicely broken in at 240 hours. IMO, selling a boat at 400 hours is throwing money away.

Years ago I bought a 2 year old Lxi with 310 hours on it. The owner was an avid slalom skier (skied into 38 off). He was also an electrician. He took meticulous care of his boat and stored it in his air conditioned garage. The boat was immaculate - rear seat never used, cover never used, gel coat was perfect, upholstery was perfect, carpet was wet/dry vacuumed after every outing, teak platform was gorgeous. Heck, he even waxed his trailer!

My point is that, especially with modern engines, hours are just one thing to take into consideration, and I'd weight the condition and maintenance of the boat much heavier in the purchase decision. If not treated properly, a 129 hour engine could be in much worse condition than a 240 hour engine, and vice versa, a 240 hour engine properly maintained and broken in has had any and all issues addressed and rectified leaving you with a trouble free engine for years to come.

Sorry all for the slower than desired response time... to begin with the not flying out to see a boat I will take blame for that. That said I had pretty extensive phone calls with the owner and the dealer representing the boat on consignment which never signaled any red flag(s). Between being a dad of a 3 year old, doing my 8-5 job, and owning a booming dock business I barely have time to spend time with those I care about most much less travel from IA to Maryland to look at a boat. I have bought boats sight unseen in the past and I guess have been very blessed up until this point.

I wrote the prior owner a email yesterday asking for some condolences based on the above listed misrepresentations... we will see what that comes back as.

IMO the 400 hr mark in my neck of the woods is similar to a 100k mile on a car. You can agree to disagree, but this rule of thumb has treated me pretty good thus far.

Many of you are asking about that sexy colored trailer... well I got the prior owners 2021 trailer as he doesn't like trailers, so he gave me his new 2021 boats trailer. I have a copper boat, nassau blue trailer, and bright red Silverado! Doesnt bother me as long as it performs in the water!

40 minutes ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

I have a copper boat, nassau blue trailer, and bright red Silverado! Doesnt bother me as long as it performs in the water!

Sounds Rastafarian to me!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 8:58 AM, JLT3 said:

Curious what the outcome of this was?  I feel invested in reading two pages of comments :)  Hope all is well.

Some times you win and some times you lose...

Guy basically gave me 2k to leave him alone which I wasn't thrilled about but short of taking him to small claims court was best I was going to do.

Fast forward to getting my engine codes read / diagnosed after fixing impeller issue and it appears the brackish water ate both my Exhaust manifolds, 02 sensors, and CATs so now I have a 6.5 repair bill. FML

image.thumb.png.34f41b2403947cd461e40d956d63acec.png

• Sad 2

Glad you are able to move forward but that stinks about the extra cost.  You are doing the right thing.  Get it fixed and enjoy the boat.  In this market you might be able to sell it for more later anyway.  Appreciate the update.

5 minutes ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

Additionally the exhaust manifolds are backordered with an unknown fulfilment date....

No idea if these guys have them or can get them, but their price is $220 less each

https://inboardonline.com/indmar-ford-6-2l-bank-1-manifold-535980e/

https://inboardonline.com/indmar-ford-6-2l-bank-2-manifold-535981e/

10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

No idea if these guys have them or can get them, but their price is $220 less each

https://inboardonline.com/indmar-ford-6-2l-bank-1-manifold-535980e/

https://inboardonline.com/indmar-ford-6-2l-bank-2-manifold-535981e/

And the cats are $400 cheaper through them

https://inboardonline.com/exhaust-elbow-w-cat-6-2l-ford-bank-2-raised-1-black-585929-b/

https://inboardonline.com/exhaust-elbow-w-cat-6-2l-ford-bank-1-raised-1-black-585928-b/

I'd consider DIY and buy the parts yourself.  I don't think the dealer is doing anything wrong by selling MSRP but it seems like you could do a lot better

Hey crew,

sorry for chiming in so late. I wish I had seen this post; my recommendation would have been to forget the seller and go after the dealer. The seller has very little to lose. The dealer is much more exposed and has much more to lose. If not too late I would write a letter to the owner of the dealership or the GM along with some pics of the damage, emails quoting mileage and a pic of the hours. And, I would send this letter certified. In your letter you can refer to the damage, totally unacceptable, and the additional hours. If it were me I would insist on getting all of my money back and as a sign of goodwill I would cover the cost of sending the boat back. And I would do this right away. To me it is not the damage and problems you have already found it is what you may find next. And heaven forbid you find another problem on the water. 

I had a similar experience, damage not hours, and I contacted the dealer ASAP. The dealership initially told me to pound sand. So I elevated the issue to the regional manager. Two days later the boat was taken back and I was reimbursed in full. 

If, as some are claiming, “the dealer will just take the boat back and sell it for more” cool, no reason to delay then. Personally I think you may have to push the dealer but it would be worth it. 

I hope everything works out.

Best, 

Chris