Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cutlass/Strut bearing size specs for Marine Hardware strut? 2008 v-Ride 1-1/8" drive shaft

1. Can any DIY on this forum tell me the correct replacement size for this model boat with marine hardware strut?

ID = 1-1/8"  and OD=? and bearing length =? (I assume length is 2")

2. Has anyone used the Glide Marine Vesconite Strut Bearings to replace old style bearings? "Glide 100 thermoplastic material does not swell or soften, lasts up to 10 times as long as traditional materials. Reduces shaft growl and wear (sold per pair)"

3. Has anyone Ron Tanis's shaft coupling removal tool? Looks to be a good solution for something that does not get used much. 

28 minutes ago, TallTex said:

1. Can any DIY on this forum tell me the correct replacement size for this model boat with marine hardware strut?

ID = 1-1/8"  and OD=? and bearing length =? (I assume length is 2")

2. Has anyone used the Glide Marine Vesconite Strut Bearings to replace old style bearings? "Glide 100 thermoplastic material does not swell or soften, lasts up to 10 times as long as traditional materials. Reduces shaft growl and wear (sold per pair)"

3. Has anyone Ron Tanis's shaft coupling removal tool? Looks to be a good solution for something that does not get used much. 

My vesconite bushings appear to be about 1.4" OD or so.  2" length sounds correct.  I'm not convinced that "vesconite" isn't just acetal (delrin) anyway.  Next time, I'm going to make my own and try it.

I honestly can't say if the removal tool will work.  The OEM bushings tend to galvanically bond themselves to the strut.  I had to saw through mine from the inside and use a chisel to peel it away from the strut.  This was after trying to beat it out with a hammer and punch while it was in a bench vise.  I'd say you could save the cost of the tool and either do it on the boat with the shaft removed or remove the strut and do it on the bench.

My strut was bent, so I had to remove it to straighten it anyway.  Your boat is probably due for an alignment, so do it whichever way is easier on your boat, then check your alignment when you are done.

• Like 2

Thanks, If you are using the glide marine vesconite strut bearings how are they holding up?  (My boat used in freshwater lakes)

Ron Tanis tool is not for removing strut bearings. It is for removing the shaft coupling from the shaft.  In order to remove the driveshaft from the boat. 

Ron has good videos on removing and replacing strut bearings (once shaft is removed)  and removing the shaft coupling. 

Yes, correct shaft alignment is routine maintenance item on all inboard and v-drive boats. Regardless of replacing shaft packing, or strut bearings. 

Tanis and a couple of others have good videos regarding proper shaft coupling alignment.  Even malibu does but they are not working on a finished boat so much easier to access the shaft coupler

I noticed a little wear the last time I looked.  It is not easy to get a good look while the boat is in the garage, so I'll try to remember to look the next time I pull it out. 

The good thing about vesconite is that they should just push out and push in when it is time to replace them.  No shaft removal expected. 

I bought one of those shaft coupler removal tools a few years ago and I love it, especially for the newer through shaft transmissions.  Of course, I remove propshafts, and other stuff, for a living.  All of the other techs like to borrow my puller so it really gets alot of use.

Thanks csleaver. Good to know it is a good to own tool. Current price is from Ron Tanis is $95 plus shipping or about $105. If it saves me some busted knuckles and time it will be worth it.