Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GM 6.2 V8 vs Dyramax 3.0 diesel

gregtay

I have a 22MXZ and tow with an AT4 Sierra 3.0.  It does pretty well even with the high rear end ratio (3.23).  Tows better than my 2018 with the 5.3/8 spd trans/3.42 rear end.  12-14 MPG while towing, I did notice the DEF consumption go up though.

17 minutes ago, Sharpag01 said:

I have a 22MXZ and tow with an AT4 Sierra 3.0.  It does pretty well even with the high rear end ratio (3.23).  Tows better than my 2018 with the 5.3/8 spd trans/3.42 rear end.  12-14 MPG while towing, I did notice the DEF consumption go up though.

Good to know.  I have a 23MXZ and just ordered a AT4 3.0 and will have it in two weeks.  I drove the 6.2L and 3.0L back to back and really didn't like the 6.2L.  It felt like old tech / dinosaur.  I felt like I was driving a 1993 Chevy Truck.  The lower torque of the diesel was much better mated with that new transmission (very smooth).  I'm a F150 guy but got a steal on a AT4 carbon pro and F150 prices have gotten out of hand and no one was dealing.  I don't love the dash but at 10k off MSRP in this market .. it was a bargain.   Also, I have a house on the water, so I tow like 1 mile in the spring and again in the fall ;)  Maybe to service (10 miles).

9 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Good to know.  I have a 23MXZ and just ordered a AT4 3.0 and will have it in two weeks.  I drove the 6.2L and 3.0L back to back and really didn't like the 6.2L.  It felt like old tech / dinosaur.  I felt like I was driving a 1993 Chevy Truck.  The lower torque of the diesel was much better mated with that new transmission (very smooth).  I'm a F150 guy but got a steal on a AT4 carbon pro and F150 prices have gotten out of hand and no one was dealing.  I don't love the dash but at 10k off MSRP in this market .. it was a bargain.   Also, I have a house on the water, so I tow like 1 mile in the spring and again in the fall ;)  Maybe to service (10 miles).

Nice!  Congratulations.  

No kidding on F-150 prices!?!?!  They're crazy right now.

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

More research over the weekend and I actually had a chance to drive a new Tahoe with the 3.0 Duramax (drove much better than the truck I drove even though it is heavier.)  Made the decision to switch my order from the 6.2 to the 3.0 Diesel. Maybe a bit of an experiment (an expensive one at that!) but I wanted to give it a try.  I loved my V10TDI Touareg and our Q7 TDI, both towed great (although that was my much lighter 2008 23LSV.)  I have no doubt the 6.2 v8 is the no drama choice for just about everything (towing, maintenance, etc) but it would still be a disappointment performance wise after my Durango with the 6.4L hemi motor.  So i'd be paying the MPG penalty but not getting much in the way of performance.  I figure I will give the minimax a try, maybe I will love it, maybe I won't.  Worst case... if I really don't feel it meets my needs, then in a few years I can pick up a Grand Wagoneer with the 6.4l or (if I really love the GM platform), the Escalade V with the supercharged motor should be out.  Figured the resale on the diesel might be a little better than the 6.2.  The goal here is the best SUV for towing the boat (without having to buy a truck... so options are somewhat limited.)  Maybe the coming updates to the Ford/Lincoln's will help make them a bit more competitive.  The Yukon is actually my  choice at the moment.. but I can't get over the analog dash with a million buttons and dials for everything.  Even my Durango (a vehicle designed forever ago) has a more updated looking dash.

I will keep everyone updated once I get this thing and get a few boat pulling road trips on the clock.  Until then... it is just "sit and wait"... GM has all kinds of backlogs of production.  My order could get accepted as early as tonight.... or it could be months before it is accepted.  :-O.

I'll be interested to hear what you think when the truck finally arrives.  I am a fan of the 3.0 diesels, I really like it in the Grand Cherokee.  But they won't hold a candle performance wise to the 6.4 that you are used to.  You will get twice the MPGs, so that will be a plus.

Congrats on the new ride.

36 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I'll be interested to hear what you think when the truck finally arrives.  I am a fan of the 3.0 diesels, I really like it in the Grand Cherokee.  But they won't hold a candle performance wise to the 6.4 that you are used to.  You will get twice the MPGs, so that will be a plus.

Congrats on the new ride.

Yes.. I have to keep convincing myself that this purchase is not for a performance vehicle.  Trying to wrap my head around that one :-O.  My Durango has 475HP and is wicked fast (and had the handling to go with it)  My wife's SQ8 is 500HP and the handling is unreal.  My "fun" car (which stays down in Arizona so I only get to drive it a few times a year) is a B8.5 RS5 Cabriolet.   I had to come to grips with the fact that even with the 6.2 the Escalade wasn't going to be what I am used to, so might as well go a different direction and try for long range and some low end grunt.  Yes... acceleration with the 6.2 would be better for those few times you really need more ooomph to pass or find room for merging.  The specs (acceleration, etc) should be about the same as my wifes old 3.0TDI Q7 and while it wasn't fast... it was a dream to drive.  Maybe the Duramax will slow me down a bit in life, and that might not be a bad thing:)

1 hour ago, Sharpag01 said:

That's consistent with what I have read.  The 3.0 sort of slots between the 5.3 and the 6.2... but obviously has some benefits to the 6.2 but gives up some performance.   And DEF consumption goes up when towing.

Have you towed over any mountain passes?

Edited by gregtay
4 hours ago, Sharpag01 said:

No mountains, though lots of hills near central Texas.

If you had the choice again... would you still pick the 3.0 over the 6.2?

I will say I am biased towards diesels because I work in that industry.  I would get the 3.0 again.  Its pretty quick for me, however if I wanted to hot rod around town I would get the 6.2.   I like the low end torque paired with the 10 spd gearing for quick acceleration at low speeds.  At highway speeds passing could be better but the 10 spd plays a part in that as the gears are so close.  You cant go wrong with either in my opinion.  Also the 24-26 mpg on the highway is nice especially with a 4x4 and 2” lift.

23 minutes ago, Sharpag01 said:

I will say I am biased towards diesels because I work in that industry.  I would get the 3.0 again.  Its pretty quick for me, however if I wanted to hot rod around town I would get the 6.2.   I like the low end torque paired with the 10 spd gearing for quick acceleration at low speeds.  At highway speeds passing could be better but the 10 spd plays a part in that as the gears are so close.  You cant go wrong with either in my opinion.  Also the 24-26 mpg on the highway is nice especially with a 4x4 and 2” lift.

thx.  Good to hear.

18 minutes ago, Sharpag01 said:

I have the exact same truck as you but with the 6.2. My biggest complaint is the fuel tank size. No one makes an aftermarket tank for the gasser, but several companies make them for the diesel (liability reasons due to the evap can). For around 1k you can get a 48 gallon tank (maybe you don’t need it with the better fuel economy). It’s annoying having such a limited range in the gasser. I would hate towing long distance with it. I’ve been kicking around the idea of trading it in, but don’t really want to pay msrp on the next truck if I can even find/get one.