Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu response hiccup

Skimikeskiski

I have a 2001 Malibu Response LX. I’ve owned it since 2003. Last year we had a problem with water getting into the gas tank The motor would lose power for a half a second and go back to full power.. We drained the tank and added a gas water filter. Things improved considerably but we would still have the hesitation after being out about 2 1/2 hours, even if the tank was still half full. We had also  cleaned the screen on the fuel pump and pressure is still good with the fuel line. Any suggestions for a fix?

16 minutes ago, Skimikeskiski said:

I have a 2001 Malibu Response LX. I’ve owned it since 2003. Last year we had a problem with water getting into the gas tank The motor would lose power for a half a second and go back to full power.. We drained the tank and added a gas water filter. Things improved considerably but we would still have the hesitation after being out about 2 1/2 hours, even if the tank was still half full. We had also  cleaned the screen on the fuel pump and pressure is still good with the fuel line. Any suggestions for a fix?

The engine will never like having to drink a slug of water.  Did you fix the leak so that it doesn't happen any more?  Having a tank half full of gas won't matter since the water will sink to the bottom and get pulled through the pickup.  It is possible you have a different problem now, but you should verify that the water isn't still the issue.

Check your fuel pump pressure(s).   Also, when we got water inthe tank (surfing), a couple cans of gas tank dessicant made a difference,, and a can of SeaFoam for good meaasure.  Keep topping off the tank and run it all out.

Thanks for the replies. The water got in cause some bonehead left the gas cap off - me. So we have tried both seafoam and heet to dry things up in the tank. Does the 01 Response LX have a gas filter in the tank? Otherwise thinking of replacing the gas line hose.

1 hour ago, Skimikeskiski said:

Thanks for the replies. The water got in cause some bonehead left the gas cap off - me. So we have tried both seafoam and heet to dry things up in the tank. Does the 01 Response LX have a gas filter in the tank? Otherwise thinking of replacing the gas line hose.

I would not expect a filter in the tank, but it may have one along the front of the tank, as well as one near the fuel pump on the port side of the engine.

Replace the fuel hoses because they are twenty years old, not because of water in them.  But yes, replace them and your exhaust hoses for the same reason.

14 hours ago, Skimikeskiski said:

'01 response will have either a spin on or inline filter right above the tank.  Need to remove rear panel to access.

I emptied the tank and refilled it. After that I had ffewer incidences of the hiccup but I still had them.  Yep time to replace the fuel lines.  I will definitely try the iso-heat. Had not seen that before. Thanks

Edited by Skimikeskiski
8 minutes ago, Skimikeskiski said:

I emptied the tank and refilled it. After that I had ffewer incidences of the hiccup but I still had them.  Yep time to replace the fuel lines.  I will definitely try the iso-heat. Had not seen that before. Thanks

I use that regularly with the snowmobiles, as frozen water will absolutely leave you stranded.  It definitely works so long as you've gotten ride of any large amounts of water in the tank, and since it is isopropyl alcohol it doesn't hurt your engine like ethanol alcohol would.