Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Help With 6 Chanel Amp

Zippymbr

I used to do this all the time 30 years ago in a former life!  I just ordered a 6 Chanel amp and it came with a hook up kit for power.  Basically none of my speakers in the boat except the tower were amplified.  So my question is how to do the patch cables.  I currently have a 4 Chanel amp running the 2 tower speakers and a sub.  So I have RCA and a remote wire to tap off of but do I split the signal from the RCA several times with Y's to power all 6 Chanels?  

8 hours ago, dhcomp said:

What amp?  Many have internal ability to share signal. 

you are leaving the 4 channel, and using this to power interiors?

It a new model MB Quart that will power the 6 speakers in the interior.  I will leave the 4 channel in place for the tower and sub as all that works well.  I looked up the install instructions and it showed all 6 inputs being used in 6 channel mode

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08952BRHV?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

"Mode" = 2chnl and then you only need one pair of RCA into the chnl 1/2 inputs and the signal should pass through to the other 4 chnls. 

Id see if the head unit has another pair of RCA outputs before splitting. If not, then split the Woofer's RCAs. 

Even better, move the woofer to 2 chnls of the 6 chnl, 6 in-boats on the other 4 chnls, bridge the tower on the 4 chnl. 

On 4/24/2021 at 1:22 PM, MLA said:

"Mode" = 2chnl and then you only need one pair of RCA into the chnl 1/2 inputs and the signal should pass through to the other 4 chnls. 

Id see if the head unit has another pair of RCA outputs before splitting. If not, then split the Woofer's RCAs. 

Even better, move the woofer to 2 chnls of the 6 chnl, 6 in-boats on the other 4 chnls, bridge the tower on the 4 chnl. 

I missed that mode, if it exists, you are correct.

But i wouldn't split the woofer pre-outs.  They are often on a separate level control or low pass filter.

Split one of the interiors.  

On 4/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, MLA said:

ht6 doesn't work that way, only duplicated to 2 channels internally, needed a splitter to run my six in boats

27 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

ht6 doesn't work that way, only duplicated to 2 channels internally, needed a splitter to run my six in boats

While my comments were specific to the model the OP linked to, Shawn is correct on the position of those two switches. Your amp can run 6 chnl stereo with only a pair of RCA populating chnl 1 & 2 inputs. If bridging a pair full range speakers and running the amp as a 3 channel, then 2 pair of splitters would be required. 

On 4/24/2021 at 4:22 PM, MLA said:

Thanks. I went on MBQuart help and it told me that.