Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

xm radio antenna install

mtvnuccio

Anybody out there install their  xm radio antenna, I'm interested in adding xm radio to my 2020 A22.  all I need is an antenna , the rest is already installed. I dont want to drill any holes, I'm looking for some installation ideas

Drill baby drill! The hole will be mostly hidden by the antenna. I tried the hide the antenna for XM but it just plain works  better exposed. Once you mount it,  just plan to never remove it. I  mounted mine in an area that has Seadek so if I ever wanted to remove it, (I wont) I could just replace that piece of SeaDek to cover the small hole up. Now my antenna for my GPS Maps is under the helm and seems to work fine that way.

4 hours ago, mtvnuccio said:

all I need is an antenna

So when you mode over to XM, it displays the receiver's ID number? I ask as its odd for the manufacturer to install the optional receiver and not the antenna and just check the box on the build sheet that the boat has satellite radio. 

The little SAT pucks that come with car kits are hit and miss on boats. Worth the money and time to mount a marine SAT antenna through the deck somewhere. Usually just in front of the windshield, port side.    

7 hours ago, MLA said:

So when you mode over to XM, it displays the receiver's ID number? I ask as its odd for the manufacturer to install the optional receiver and not the antenna and just check the box on the build sheet that the boat has satellite radio. 

The little SAT pucks that come with car kits are hit and miss on boats. Worth the money and time to mount a marine SAT antenna through the deck somewhere. Usually just in front of the windshield, port side.    

Not sure which antenna the OP is using, but all of the stand alone antennas I have used are NMEA 2000 and they have their own ID. The receiver just acted as the XM tuner...

Here is the weird part.... when I asked the dealer about Xm radio, they told me all I needed was an antenna. On my unit , it says sirius xm ready, with a plug labeled sirius control. Also I can’t find anywhere to plug the antenna...????

Not sure if your boat head unit has XM module built in but for most boat "XM Radio ready" means you need the XM module unit that connects to the HU (mine required the SCC1), you'll need to check which one is compatible with your HU.

You'll plug the antenna in the XM module unit. 

1 hour ago, mtvnuccio said:

On my unit , it says sirius xm ready

Yep, this means when you connect an activated Sirius/XM receiver, you will then receive the Sirius/XM. Antenna plugs into the Sirius Receiver, receiver connects to the S-Video looking female socket. 

1 hour ago, mtvnuccio said:

So then what unit do I need to add? Xm module? I was told just an antenna??

You were told wrong. Here’s exactly what you need. Simply plug this module into your black box (there’s a plug clearly labeled for it) and find a place for the antenna (try it inside the ob compartment before you cut a hole, you might be surprised). That will make the “sat radio” source come to life! 

It’s only $45 and includes 3 months free. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q7PFJ8SN937R7YTAVF34

7BFD4763-542C-4052-920D-312F8DEF20C7.jpeg

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, IXFE said:

You were told wrong. Here’s exactly what you need. Simply plug this module into your black box (there’s a plug clearly labeled for it) and find a place for the antenna (try it inside the ob compartment before you cut a hole, you might be surprised). That will make the “sat radio” source come to life! 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q7PFJ8SN937R7YTAVF34

Yup. Eazy peezy.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back to ask a ques.

I'm obviously not looking in the right place to locate where to plug the XM module in to the stereo.  2022 A22.  I've looked at all of the available connection points on the two 'boxes' on the Port side and am not seeing where the connector is.  Anyone have a diagram or pic?

6 hours ago, Never said:

Bringing this thread back to ask a ques.

I'm obviously not looking in the right place to locate where to plug the XM module in to the stereo.  2022 A22.  I've looked at all of the available connection points on the two 'boxes' on the Port side and am not seeing where the connector is.  Anyone have a diagram or pic?

Not sure about Axis, but I assume it’s the same as every Malibu I’ve worked on…

Find your amp board (under the glove box). There’s a “black box” mounted to the upper right corner of the amp board. This is essentially your head unit.  The connections to it are not on the box itself, thus they are not visible from the front. All the connections points are “pigtails” that you’ll find behind the amp board. So the easiest way to find the satélite plug is to unscrew the amp board and pull it down a little to see what’s back there. 

Here’s a pic of mine from 2019 25 LSV

6B46EEDF-9E7A-40A8-8A18-6D3FD9F961F9.thumb.jpeg.65a5dd8c1d97b633cfb55d2b9b6a449e.jpeg

Here’s a pic of mine after pulling it from my 2022 25 LSV. Notice the newer style black box. But it’s in the same location. 

0D13EE02-193B-41A5-9200-EE3C714B7DA8.thumb.jpeg.66d1ff482b53effd8da00dfdfdb311e9.jpeg

Here’s the connection you’re looking for behind that black box. Not only is it the only one like this, but it’s clearly labeled also. 

A0DF9EEA-3535-436A-83EB-11A27B9AFC0C.jpeg.ba76a0074475e53672f6356f3d2b82d4.jpeg

• Like 2

I dont know that the Axis boats are using an all in one compact media unit on the helm. Either way, if its SAT compatible, they often times have the sirius xm logo on the face of the display and will have the S-Video looking connector thats labled SAT or Sirius/XM. 

I would not hold my breath that it is Sat Ready, There has been a trend the past few years where the SAT is being dropped in these OEM only units, in favor of space and price-point. 

12 hours ago, IXFE said:

Not sure about Axis, but I assume it’s the same as every Malibu I’ve worked on…

Find your amp board (under the glove box). There’s a “black box” mounted to the upper right corner of the amp board. This is essentially your head unit.  The connections to it are not on the box itself, thus they are not visible from the front. All the connections points are “pigtails” that you’ll find behind the amp board. So the easiest way to find the satélite plug is to unscrew the amp board and pull it down a little to see what’s back there. 

Here’s a pic of mine from 2019 25 LSV

6B46EEDF-9E7A-40A8-8A18-6D3FD9F961F9.thumb.jpeg.65a5dd8c1d97b633cfb55d2b9b6a449e.jpeg

Here’s a pic of mine after pulling it from my 2022 25 LSV. Notice the newer style black box. But it’s in the same location. 

0D13EE02-193B-41A5-9200-EE3C714B7DA8.thumb.jpeg.66d1ff482b53effd8da00dfdfdb311e9.jpeg

Here’s the connection you’re looking for behind that black box. Not only is it the only one like this, but it’s clearly labeled also. 

A0DF9EEA-3535-436A-83EB-11A27B9AFC0C.jpeg.ba76a0074475e53672f6356f3d2b82d4.jpeg

Super helpful - thank you for taking the time to post this with these details.  Very much appreciate your time.

• Like 2
On 4/24/2021 at 12:07 PM, IXFE said:

Thank you for this... I have ordered it and hope that it works for my 2020 24MXZ.

19 hours ago, MalibuReb said:

Thank you for this... I have ordered it and hope that it works for my 2020 24MXZ.

Oh it will work. Post pics when your get into it so others can see an Axis install 

I installed it on my 2020 axis a24 and my 2021 a24 easily . I plan on installing on my 2022 t250 . Will post if there are issues . Past installs when just like listed above . One of my two main lakes has limited cell service and this makes it nice 

• 2 weeks later...