Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

xm radio antenna install

mtvnuccio

Anybody out there install their  xm radio antenna, I'm interested in adding xm radio to my 2020 A22.  all I need is an antenna , the rest is already installed. I dont want to drill any holes, I'm looking for some installation ideas

Drill baby drill! The hole will be mostly hidden by the antenna. I tried the hide the antenna for XM but it just plain works  better exposed. Once you mount it,  just plan to never remove it. I  mounted mine in an area that has Seadek so if I ever wanted to remove it, (I wont) I could just replace that piece of SeaDek to cover the small hole up. Now my antenna for my GPS Maps is under the helm and seems to work fine that way.

4 hours ago, mtvnuccio said:

all I need is an antenna

So when you mode over to XM, it displays the receiver's ID number? I ask as its odd for the manufacturer to install the optional receiver and not the antenna and just check the box on the build sheet that the boat has satellite radio. 

The little SAT pucks that come with car kits are hit and miss on boats. Worth the money and time to mount a marine SAT antenna through the deck somewhere. Usually just in front of the windshield, port side.    

Or you can use your phone and the Sirius/XM app.  Mine works great on the water.

• Like 1

When I installed mine I popped one of the cup holders out of the bow by the wind shield and made a tiny little slot just big enough for the antennae wire. 

WP_20160421_13_13_59_Pro.jpg.4b43167ee69e8f270fff48e3343e65ac.jpg

3 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Or you can use your phone and the Sirius/XM app.  Mine works great on the water.

Phone don't work when no signal on lake, that's why I have XM in the first place!

7 hours ago, MLA said:

So when you mode over to XM, it displays the receiver's ID number? I ask as its odd for the manufacturer to install the optional receiver and not the antenna and just check the box on the build sheet that the boat has satellite radio. 

The little SAT pucks that come with car kits are hit and miss on boats. Worth the money and time to mount a marine SAT antenna through the deck somewhere. Usually just in front of the windshield, port side.    

Not sure which antenna the OP is using, but all of the stand alone antennas I have used are NMEA 2000 and they have their own ID. The receiver just acted as the XM tuner...

Here is the weird part.... when I asked the dealer about Xm radio, they told me all I needed was an antenna. On my unit , it says sirius xm ready, with a plug labeled sirius control. Also I can’t find anywhere to plug the antenna...????

Module will plug into the Black Box, and the antenna in to module. Pull your box off the amp board and find the wires and plugs behind it.

Edited by dalt1

So then what unit do I need to add? Xm module? I was told just an antenna??

Not sure if your boat head unit has XM module built in but for most boat "XM Radio ready" means you need the XM module unit that connects to the HU (mine required the SCC1), you'll need to check which one is compatible with your HU.

You'll plug the antenna in the XM module unit. 

1 hour ago, mtvnuccio said:

On my unit , it says sirius xm ready

Yep, this means when you connect an activated Sirius/XM receiver, you will then receive the Sirius/XM. Antenna plugs into the Sirius Receiver, receiver connects to the S-Video looking female socket. 

1 hour ago, mtvnuccio said:

So then what unit do I need to add? Xm module? I was told just an antenna??

You were told wrong. Here’s exactly what you need. Simply plug this module into your black box (there’s a plug clearly labeled for it) and find a place for the antenna (try it inside the ob compartment before you cut a hole, you might be surprised). That will make the “sat radio” source come to life! 

It’s only $45 and includes 3 months free. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q7PFJ8SN937R7YTAVF34

7BFD4763-542C-4052-920D-312F8DEF20C7.jpeg

4 minutes ago, IXFE said:

You were told wrong. Here’s exactly what you need. Simply plug this module into your black box (there’s a plug clearly labeled for it) and find a place for the antenna (try it inside the ob compartment before you cut a hole, you might be surprised). That will make the “sat radio” source come to life! 

It’s only $45 and includes 3 months free. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q7PFJ8SN937R7YTAVF34

7BFD4763-542C-4052-920D-312F8DEF20C7.jpeg

Yup. Eazy peezy.