Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dock line Snubbers

Ryan1776

Anyone have a good recommendation or experience with snubbers? 

I thought this was nice. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0854N3M4Z/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2X2WEA7JCG2OZ

Found those above after looking for these. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DH3P8N6/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or does anyone have a better idea? 

Ryan 

I would go with the tried and proven version you posted(second link). I would also get some BABZ for extra protection. Have used them on lake Washington in some nasty conditions and they held up really well. 

ahopkins22LSV
12 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

I would go with the tried and proven version you posted(second link). I would also get some BABZ for extra protection. Have used them on lake Washington in some nasty conditions and they held up really well. 

Agreed. 

Or make your own. Get some heavy duty bungees, tie them into a loop on the dock line with the loop not allowing the bungee to fully extend and then also have a secondary dock line that is a bit longer than the fully extended line with the bungee as backup. Been mooring our boats like this for decades between two poles on vacations. Never had one break and the boats have seen some big storms. 

I can grab closer photos of the lines if needed.

35F9F8ED-55B9-4329-8318-C07F6BAA5C56.jpeg

BAB4C03C-F7E2-472E-AB32-2A7A0EE64066.jpeg

Thanks to everyone! 

15 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

A better idea IME is mooring whips.  I've tried snubbers and stretchy cables, and they are a fail in anything  with significant wake/wave/wind action.

I can't use mooring whips and I'm not parallel to the dock. I stern in. (As you can sorta tell in my avatar). 
Kinda of a bummer you've had bad luck with the snubbers. 

13 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

I assume you mean the BABZ bumpers? I don't have any issues with hitting other boats. Knock on wood. 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Or make your own. Get some heavy duty bungees, tie them into a loop on the dock line with the loop not allowing the bungee to fully extend and then also have a secondary dock line that is a bit longer than the fully extended line with the bungee as backup.

I had that thought as well actually. 
I'm in about 5' of water and the line attachment point is about 3' above the water line, so that's a huge moment arm on the dock pole at the lake floor. 
It hits pretty hard with rollers come in so this year I wanted to add some absorption. For for the boat, lines and poles benefit! 

I appreciate all your feed back everyone! 
The snubbers are probably my cleanest approach. 

Ryan

Edited by Ryan1776
2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Any way you can drop a mooring buoy?

Not really. Just part of the regulations. 

I get 10' total width. I use 4 poles, but considered adding 2 midship this year for 6 total. 

2 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Not really. Just part of the regulations. 

I get 10' total width. I use 4 poles, but considered adding 2 midship this year for 6 total. 

That's a shame a buoy is the way to go if you can swing it.  Who owns the lakebed?  You or the State?

On 4/23/2021 at 3:33 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

That's a shame a buoy is the way to go if you can swing it.  Who owns the lakebed?  You or the State?

Sorry for the delay, not getting notifications. 

Anyway, it's part of my association dock setup. So it's just how it all goes. 
Eventually I'll get a hoist. That's the end goal to be sure. But the problem I'll have with that is ingress and egressing from the boat. 
I don't think I can back into a hoist, although that would be perfect. Then I could lift the boat/swim platform up to the level of the dock.