Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI 2003 to 2006 stereo upgrades

Ssh78

Hi all,

Im in the process of replacing the stereo head unit with a new bluetooth model that will fit under the armrest.

One of the head units I'm considering is the Fusion MS RA70 single DIN. Has anyone fitted one and if so does the arm rest still drop down and clear the unit? Whats your thoughts on this particular model?

As for 6.5 inch marine speakers what's everyone fitting? I was looking at the Kicker 45KM654s, any thoughts?

Cheers 

I did a full exile system in my '06 and it sounds great.  I didn't bother with a new traditional type HU.  My build consisted of the following:

• This is what I used for the head unit.  It fit where the factory Sony remote was located under the dash.  I removed the factory head unit from under the armrest and put a blank off plate there.  
  • I used these 6.5" cabin speakers.  I only used 4 of them.  I considered adding some to the bow, but it's rare that the bow is used in that boat so I didn't do it.
  • This is the sub I used.  I could have built a box, but when I did the installation I purchased a box for expediency purposes.  It's located under the observer seat.  This isn't the greatest because it compromises performance.  I need to either add fake speaker grills, or move the sub.  Again, simply have not done so due to available time.
  • This is the amp I used.
  • I also used a zone controller to allow me to adjust levels.  I mounted this under the helm on the inside of the walk through panel.  This gives pretty decent access to adjustments.

Overall the system sounds great.  It's clean, loud, and rich.  I love it.  All I need to do is open up the sub a bit.  Good luck and report back with what you do.

23 hours ago, Slayer said:

I did a full exile system in my '06 and it sounds great.  I didn't bother with a new traditional type HU.  My build consisted of the following:

• This is what I used for the head unit.  It fit where the factory Sony remote was located under the dash.  I removed the factory head unit from under the armrest and put a blank off plate there.  
  • I used these 6.5" cabin speakers.  I only used 4 of them.  I considered adding some to the bow, but it's rare that the bow is used in that boat so I didn't do it.
  • This is the sub I used.  I could have built a box, but when I did the installation I purchased a box for expediency purposes.  It's located under the observer seat.  This isn't the greatest because it compromises performance.  I need to either add fake speaker grills, or move the sub.  Again, simply have not done so due to available time.
  • This is the amp I used.
  • I also used a zone controller to allow me to adjust levels.  I mounted this under the helm on the inside of the walk through panel.  This gives pretty decent access to adjustments.

Overall the system sounds great.  It's clean, loud, and rich.  I love it.  All I need to do is open up the sub a bit.  Good luck and report back with what you do.

Hi mate,

thanks for your reply, I hadn't thought of running a bluetooth media centre, do you have a picture of where you've mounted the media centre control?

as for your sub did you consider mounting one in the drivers footwell?

1 hour ago, Ssh78 said:

Hi mate,

thanks for your reply, I hadn't thought of running a bluetooth media centre, do you have a picture of where you've mounted the media centre control?

as for your sub did you consider mounting one in the drivers footwell?

You're welcome.  The bluetooth media center I installed is located where the remote was located beneath the helm almost directly under the key.  I don't have a picture of my boat and it's still hibernating, but if you look below the key in this photo that's the location I used.  I actually plan to move the sub to the footwell.  

image.png.31e29e532620548118fb643ec3c9b506.png

On 4/22/2021 at 5:23 AM, Slayer said:

Me too.  I found that the integrated XM receivers were mostly garbage.  I use this Media center for Bluetooth and an XM Commander receiver.  Works great and allowed me to utilize the old DIN pocket for storage.

20180612-140924.jpg

Our response has the transom remote on it, is there any system that has a remote that would fill that hole? i actually like the transom remote on that boat, and have been contemplating a stereo upgrade for a while, though i did replace the original sony speakers with Polk ones a few years back.

11 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Our response has the transom remote on it, is there any system that has a remote that would fill that hole? i actually like the transom remote on that boat, and have been contemplating a stereo upgrade for a while, though i did replace the original sony speakers with Polk ones a few years back.

How big is the hole?  There still are waterproof round remotes depending on brand.  Or make a custom  filler plate and put a webcam in there.

4 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

How big is the hole?  There still are waterproof round remotes depending on brand.  Or make a custom  filler plate and put a webcam in there.

honestly i have not pulled out the remote to see.  i think i need to take apart some of the trunk to get to the back of it.

52 minutes ago, asnowman said:

I think I have a refurbished sony remote for that if you're interested in it.  I never installed it because we never use it. 

6 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What brand is the remote now?

Sony- it was a factory option. its an XM-55M or and XM-60M, not sure which

2 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I think I have a refurbished sony remote for that if you're interested in it.  I never installed it because we never use it. 

actually the remote works (as of last year).  I am looking to replace the head unit, and the remote, or do like you did and replace the remote at the dash with a BT device, but i would like to keep the transom remote, if possible

Edited by asnowman
16 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Sony- it was a factory option. its an XM-55M or and XM-60M, not sure which

Kenwood and Clarion both make round remotes.  I've had both as stereos and the Clarion is slightly better.  You could also look into a standalone Bluetooth remote like the JL Audio MBT-CRXv2

10 minutes ago, asnowman said:

thanks. guess i need to pull that one out and see what will work as a full replacement

Sadly, all the remotes are proprietary - Sony with Sony only, etc.  Good luck!

8 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Sadly, all the remotes are proprietary - Sony with Sony only, etc.  Good luck!

I knew this was the case, and planned to replace the whole system, as I often still put on the good old fashioned radio (cell coverage is horrible in some parts of the lake)

22 hours ago, Slayer said:

You're welcome.  The bluetooth media center I installed is located where the remote was located beneath the helm almost directly under the key.  I don't have a picture of my boat and it's still hibernating, but if you look below the key in this photo that's the location I used.  I actually plan to move the sub to the footwell.  

image.png.31e29e532620548118fb643ec3c9b506.png

Thats a good idea, did you make up a mounting plate from aluminium?

18 hours ago, formulaben said:

Me too.  I found that the integrated XM receivers were mostly garbage.  I use this Media center for Bluetooth and an XM Commander receiver.  Works great and allowed me to utilize the old DIN pocket for storage.

20180612-140924.jpg

That looks neat too, cheers

On 4/23/2021 at 4:18 PM, asnowman said:

actually the remote works (as of last year).  I am looking to replace the head unit, and the remote, or do like you did and replace the remote at the dash with a BT device, but i would like to keep the transom remote, if possible

Understood.  I don't use our transom remote.  I left the factory one on and have simply done nothing with it. 

On 4/24/2021 at 7:23 AM, Ssh78 said:

Thats a good idea, did you make up a mounting plate from aluminium?

No, sir.  That location is where the factory stereo remote was.  There were 2; 1 under the dash like the pic I posted, and the other on the transom.  All I did was drill the hole wider in the existing mounting location to allow for the size of the BT Media center.  

22 hours ago, Slayer said:

Understood.  I don't use our transom remote.  I left the factory one on and have simply done nothing with it. 

No, sir.  That location is where the factory stereo remote was.  There were 2; 1 under the dash like the pic I posted, and the other on the transom.  All I did was drill the hole wider in the existing mounting location to allow for the size of the BT Media center.  

Ahh

mines a 2005 RLXI, that must have changed with the updated 2006

Do you think it’s a bolt on part?

2 hours ago, Ssh78 said:

Ahh

It could be.  ALternatively, you could simply have an aluminum plate fabricated that you can attach beneath the helm.  

11 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I thought it was standard fair in the first gen RLXi to have that.  Maybe the OP's boat was ordered differently for some reason.  

it was definitely an option to get either or both remotes.

3 hours ago, Ssh78 said:

Ahh

I will try and get some pics today, planning to get into both boats today, @braindamage post about squirrels kept me up last night