Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SUP Boards

hethj7

Anyone got a stand up paddle board they like that also doesn't cost a grand?   My wife keeps hinting at one and figured it may be a good gift.    I've used several before but never paid attention to brands or specifics.  Is there a certain minimum length?   Are the inflatable ones okay?

Costco has a good one. Amazon also has 2 on sale right now with great reviews, less than $400. I can’t remember what the brand I bought the wife, but it’s inflatable, we had it for 5 years. It’s taken a beating with our 4 boys and it keeps ticking. I’m 300 lbs and as long as I get it filled up all the way I can cruise up and down the lake fine. Rolls up pretty small and stays in the boat. 

We have a inflatable SUP.  It is my wife's, and I'll be the first to admit that they are not my thing.

That said, my experience is that this is another area where you get what you pay for. Our big boating trips are always to Lake Powell on the houseboat.  We bring our SUP, there are a couple that belong to the houseboat, and usually one or two guests bring one.  We've had people bring the Costco, Sam's Club, and Amazon SUPs.  And usually what happens is they blow them up, use them once, and then use either the one we have or the ones from the houseboat (hard boards).  There is just a significant difference in quality which translates to more stability, control, speed, you name it.

I think I spent around $1200 for ours.  It is a C4 Waterman.

I got my wife an inflatable SUP a couple of years ago on amazon.  She loves it because of it’s portability.  It’s an iRocker, 11’6” I think.  I got it on a friend’s recommendation.  Paid $600.  One downside to inflatables is you’re not supposed to leave them in the sun when not in use.

Edited by garrech

Ours came from Sam's or BJ's they are the solid type. Our boys and their friends have really put them through the ringer and they have held up well.  No reason i could see to spend a grand. Ours are 10'6" and yeah you can surf them.20200825_194621.thumb.jpg.d8868ee46f6022ff5c445f0bc2416836.jpg

• Like 1

I would be hesitant towards the cheaper inflatable ones, have heard some are good and also have tried others that weren’t the best.  

Do you live on the lake or have the ability to keep at the lake? If so I would find a hard top as pumping it up will get old fast and unless it’s a high end inflatable the performance of the hardtop is better. 

Not saying inflatable ones are bad I would just be hesitant of the Amazon special. Check out Costco if it sucks or doesn’t hold air they will take it back. 

i have inflatable ones due to storage and not living on a lake.  We have ISLE brand and they have been great.  They usually have $100 off ( so basically the sale price is the all the time price) and they come with a bag, pump, leash, etc.  Note: They do not come with an 12V pump which you may want after a couple times hand pumping.

If you live on a lake or have the storage and transportation, get a hard board for sure.  Like others have said, with inflatables you can't leave them out in the sun, and blowing them up gets old.  I imagine a budget hard board would be sufficient over a cheap inflatable.

IMG_2589.thumb.jpg.b330c81f6142dd97d367a5e0a7e91f77.jpg

I can't help you on the sub $1k part.  We have 2 hobie inflatables and 2 hobie mirage eclipse boards.  The inflatables are awesome.  If you're on the lake, I would seriously consider the eclipse boards.  They're like a hybrid between a SUP and an elliptical.  

https://www.hobie.com/pedalboards/mirage-eclipse/

They are amazing and we love them.  Everyone who comes over and uses them loves them too.  We also have a couple hobie kayaks with the pedal drive system.  It's super fun.  They also have a mast and sail.  ALso fun.  

• Like 1

Man, typical TMC style - spend other's money and budgets don't matter!    The Hobie boards look awesome, but more than I want to fork out now.  Thank you for all the responses as they brought up several aspects I hadn't thought of.   

12 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Man, typical TMC style - spend other's money and budgets don't matter!    The Hobie boards look awesome, but more than I want to fork out now.  Thank you for all the responses as they brought up several aspects I hadn't thought of.   

I hope you suspected nothing less....

In all fairness, I wouldn't fork out that kind of dough either but we have a family connection that makes such a purchase much more palatable. 

I have an iRocker Blackfin and love it.  Got it last summer and hauled that thing all over!  I did get the electric plug in pump though.   They run pretty good sales from time to time and just rolled out their new models so I think last years are on sale.   Blackfin is kind of bigger, more steady which is great for when I haul kids/dog.   They have some smaller ones that are a bit more faster and agile.   You can definitely tell the difference between mine and my friends that got at Costco or other local sporting goods.  

https://www.irockersup.com/

2 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Saw this one on a neighbors boat this weekend. Was fun watching them struggle to get it up top. 

36C7B583-EFD2-4F2D-AEAB-0C07DD6AD3CA.jpeg

How big is that thing?  Supersize like Macca fries?

18 hours ago, RyanB said:

Saw this one on a neighbors boat this weekend. Was fun watching them struggle to get it up top. 

36C7B583-EFD2-4F2D-AEAB-0C07DD6AD3CA.jpeg

I'd put a ten horse motor on that thing....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the input.  I ordered an iRocker Nautical.  It seemed like a good deal between a cheap inflatable and a $1,000 plus setup.