Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help set up amp for Rev 10s

Chase0808

To start off, I’m not an audio guy by any means so I probably have a lot of stupid questions. 

I have already purchased a pair of Rev 10s and an Arc Audio KS300.4 to power them. I have a pioneer head unit that I’m thinking I want to replace with a WS420 EQ.

Should I go for a 420bt or is the 420sq with the WS Bluetooth rocker switch a better option? I read another thread that suggested that setup instead. 

Yesterday I finished up running 12 gauge wired through the tower and mounting the Rev 10s on the swivel mounts on the tower. 

This is where I got confused. Using a 4 channel amp for the two speakers, I would need to bridge them. So I split speaker one to channel 1 (power) and 2 (ground), and split speaker two to channel 3 (power) and 4 (ground). Is this correct?

Power, ground, and remote on the amp are connected but no sound from the speakers. I tried messing with the settings on the amp and couldn’t get it to work. I eventually just set the speakers solely to channel 1 and 3, and I got sound from the speakers. So I’m assuming that there is something I’m doing wrong when it comes to bridging the speakers. I’ll try to attach a picture of the amp so you all can see what settings I have and where they should be set to properly set the speakers up. 

Also, besides obviously amps and speakers, what all do you guys suggest I add to my audio setup in the boat? I think I’m going to replace the amp for the in boat speakers and also replace the head unit with a WS420 eq. Do I need a blue sea fuse block? This seems to be a good option for power to multiple accessory sources as oppose to running a bunch of power wires directly to the battery. 

Any other audio suggestions are much appreciated! TIA

428E265C-5F31-49CF-8425-B6447F712C47.jpeg

96EFFF60-2ADC-4D08-9BB6-7E47EFB135C2.jpeg

I would contact the amplifier manufacture's tech department for detailed assistance, but based on your description, but I believe your bridged positive and negative were reversed. Once you get the speaker leads bridged correctly, then theres all the amp settings and proper RCA configuration to insure you get the most of the setup. 

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Look at the diagram on the amp in your first pic... it shows you where to put the wires (- on far left, + on far right). 

That’s how I tried it first when I couldn’t get any sound out of the speakers. 

28 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Try moving the source input to mono and make sure your rcas are coming in on channels 1 and 2. 

DF18591B-5874-418F-828F-19DCECA95815.jpeg

I’ll try this. Thanks!

the BT EQ vs SQ and rocker switch is whether you want to handle your phone or not, i choose no phone handling since we all fo enough of that these days snd i don't want to bring that habit to boat where your trying getting away from it all, put phone on private to not interrupt music with alerts and use the RS in an accessory rocker switch bay , i dont think on newer dashes there is a convenient place to cut a hole so might lean to BT EQ,  

since EQ is thin single din, you may be able to put EQ snd RS in the double din  HU space on newer dashes 

Edited by granddaddy55

So I realized what I did wrong. When I initially attempted to bridge the speakers, I didn’t use the outside positive and negative terminals (if that makes sense). Instead of using channel 1 negative and channel 2 positive, I was doing the opposite. I was looking at the back of the amp and realized it shows right there which channel terminals to use when bridging. 

As far as the eq, I think I’m going to go with the 420sq. Like stated above, I’d like to have a way to change songs etc with buttons rather than using my phone. I found another rocker called SSV works. It’s similar to the WS rocker but it has a volume knob. I like the look of it but haven’t seen anyone install one on a Malibu. Looks like they’re mostly used on ATVs and off road rigs. 

5 hours ago, Chase0808 said:

So I realized what I did wrong. When I initially attempted to bridge the speakers, I didn’t use the outside positive and negative terminals (if that makes sense). Instead of using channel 1 negative and channel 2 positive, I was doing the opposite. I was looking at the back of the amp and realized it shows right there which channel terminals to use when bridging. 

As far as the eq, I think I’m going to go with the 420sq. Like stated above, I’d like to have a way to change songs etc with buttons rather than using my phone. I found another rocker called SSV works. It’s similar to the WS rocker but it has a volume knob. I like the look of it but haven’t seen anyone install one on a Malibu. Looks like they’re mostly used on ATVs and off road rigs. 

Yeah that’s why I said look at the diagram right there on the amp. 

glad you figured it out!  You SHOULD have the inputs set to mono too. 

9 hours ago, Chase0808 said:

I really like running the 420sq and their Bluetooth knob. You can mount in dash, or below dash, and have the Bluetooth control you want. If you are running a 420, easy enough to use that for main volume. 

10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

When running bridged?  Why?

Summed mono is great for a surf setup, especially if the speakers are off axis a little. You get 100% of the program material to both speakers. 

2 hours ago, MLA said:

Summed mono is great for a surf setup, especially if the speakers are off axis a little. You get 100% of the program material to both speakers. 

Oh you are saying make the array output mono.  Understood/fielders choice. 

• 2 years later...