Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody keeping a Boat Log?

jhillard

Is anybody keeping a Boat/Ship/Captain's type of log? That is recording in some way the date, people, destination, times, etc of your journey's and trips on the boat? 

If so, how are you doing it? In a notebook, a spreadsheet, software on the phone? I am driving the boat so much during the summer, which I love to do. But in thinking back, I cannot possibly remember all the details about each trip that I should that could be helpful in the future (who was there, water conditions, weather, tides, etc).

-Jeff Hillard-

2012/2017/(hopefully) 2121 23 LSV

Ace Ventura seemed to have a good system with the his sunglasses. 

download

Only log I keep is for maintenance records. My travel log would get old I would think, from going pretty much to the same places all the time.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

The maps system in one of my boats logged everything on its map. It was pretty much hundreds of lines back and fourth in the same spot. If you take pictures on your iPhone it will show a map of where each one was taken. 

Thanks Woodski, thats a great idea! Can't believe I did not think about that earlier!

My neighbor recently obtained his "6-pak" captains log, although his boating is more for fishing with his Chesapeake Deadrise. His log was needed for the last step to get certified after he had passed all the tests. Long term that might be an interesting test/certification to take.

There are a zillion phone apps out there for diving, fishing , guiding etc.  You could do that. I still have all my old SCUBA diving logs - fun to look back at where I dove.

I log hours, fuel and maintenance.

I use Fuelly ... app on the phone.

I have all mg cars an boats set up and log appropriately. It allows me to see reports lifetime and by year.

I've looked back and wished that I kept this kind of info on paper, or in "official" photos of the crew and the location of the day. It would be cool to see how long the list of people would be. I'm just not that organized!

Yeah, I nerded out with a paper log.  At the end of the season I put the info into a spreadsheet so I can get a quick usage picture, but mainly for noting squawks and hours for maintenance purposes and fuel amount/cost.

I keep a maintenance log for when I change the oli/impeller/tranny fluid/fuel filter.  It's just a note in my notes app on my phone.  Don't see why I couldn't add trip info for every trip, it just hasn't been important.

For the first few years that I owned the BU, I religiously kept a detailed log - Date, hours in, hours out, where we went, who was there, what we did, and MOST importantly, any odd things that might have been a call for service (warranty or otherwise).   In the same log was fuel, service performed, etc so that I could predict fuel consumption, and tracked what needed to be done. 

Once I got past the initial few "bugs" in the system, I kind of lost interest.   I kind of know how much fuel I will consume based on what we are going to do... and I dont see many emerging service issues....  As the boat ages, I will probably start tracking more because I expect more issues to come (I kept the same long for my previous boat, which I bought when it was 17 years old... it was VERY useful for tracking odd noises, or a day when it ran a little hot, or anything like that).

Mostly it helped me document warranty issues for the service manager.   I had exotic levels of documentation of anything that was wonky.   :-)

Lake log....water date 2021 June.  We came upon....... a group.... of hostile Klingon jet skiers.........  Forced to defend ourselves ......several.....full phazer blasts necessary to eradicate alien lifeforms.....

I can hear Capt Kirk in my head

I’ve used the Boating Suite app on my phone.  Was free when I downloaded it a couple years ago.  Now it’s $4.99 (still no charge to me since I didn’t do the latest update)

Does logbook, fuel, expense, maintenance, To Dos, etc. and has summary  reports for total cost, usage, fuel, maintenance. 

Sounds like it may be along the lines of what the OP was asking about. 

Is there an app to log surftime of different people? I‘d like to have all my surfing friends in that app and want to  add their surftime everytime we are out. So at the end of the season we see how many hours everyone surfed. Any idea?

3 hours ago, philnizz said:

Is there an app to log surftime of different people? I‘d like to have all my surfing friends in that app and want to  add their surftime everytime we are out. So at the end of the season we see how many hours everyone surfed. Any idea?

Seems like strava would work for that.  You'd need to create individual accounts for each surfer and start and stop the activity on each surfer's phone.  I'm pretty sure @ahopkinsVTX uses strava to track slalom sets, so he probably has some input there.

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Seems like strava would work for that.  You'd need to create individual accounts for each surfer and start and stop the activity on each surfer's phone.  I'm pretty sure @ahopkinsVTX uses strava to track slalom sets, so he probably has some input there.

I do. They don’t have a waterskiing activity to use so I use the running activity so it gives some ok data as far as distance and top speed. Also keeps it separate from my biking. No idea how accurate the top speed is but it’s kinda fun to loop at for slalom. My watch, garmin instinct, tracks it well and the distance is accurate. Elevation obviously isn’t but that’s from the pressure differences in and out of the water. 

Id recommend Strava through a smart watch. It’s free and easy to use. 

8A8EB0CA-8F07-4C58-8962-0000CB8DDEFC.jpeg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I do. They don’t have a waterskiing activity to use so I use the running activity so it gives some ok data as far as distance and top speed. Also keeps it separate from my biking. No idea how accurate the top speed is but it’s kinda fun to loop at for slalom. My watch, garmin instinct, tracks it well and the distance is accurate. Elevation obviously isn’t but that’s from the pressure differences in and out of the water. 

Id recommend Strava through a smart watch. It’s free and easy to use. 

8A8EB0CA-8F07-4C58-8962-0000CB8DDEFC.jpeg

I’ve always wondered how fast people are going as they cut hard across the wake. What does it show for your top speed as you’re cutting vs the boat speed?

ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

I’ve always wondered how fast people are going as they cut hard across the wake. What does it show for your top speed as you’re cutting vs the boat speed?

Normally 48-49mph for 34mph boat speed. I think I’ve seen 50-52 a few times when I was skiing at 36mph. 

• Like 1

Strava sounds cool if you are also interested in topspeed, distance etc. 

i am thinking of some kind of stopwatch app that allows to record the time for different people. If i am out with friends, i just wanna click friend one when he starts surfing and then again when he stops. Then friend two and so on. Then i see friend one was surfing for 25 mins and friend two 15 mins. But i also see the times of their last sessions and also the sum of all their sessions. I think that would also be very helpful for surfing/wakeboarding schools to track times of their guests and charge them by riding minutes. 

I don't keep a log for my Malibu but do keep one for my offshore cruiser.  I previously used Boating Suite but now use excel and Navionics.  I use the two boats in much different ways.  On the Malibu the crew is generally less than 10 where on the other boat I often have 30 people going out.  I have done trips on the other boat up to a month long and over 1,000 miles so the information is really helpful.  I have over 10 years of history on the log including duration of trip, fuel used, weather conditions, people on board and maintenance issues and maintenance performed and other notes.  The weather information is helpful to look back to when planning a trip and evaluating the sea conditions.  I have really enjoyed looking back over the years for different trips to recall details and people that went out.  

I also use the Navionics App to plan and track trips.  I have over 100 saved tracks which is pretty cool and helpful when doing a trip to an area I have not been to for several years as far as info on routes and depth areas.  Again, I don't do this with the Malibu.  I have used the Navionics a few times for the Malibu when planning a longer trip through the California Delta.  When I first started boating on the Delta the phone charts were really helpful to know where I was at.  There are over 1,000 miles of channels on the Delta.