Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Android Screen

TexasTurner

I’m trying to wrap my head around this issue but I don’t quite have a good grasp on it yet. 

I bought a new M220 with the newer Android touch screen (y’all are familiar). I was very excited about installing Spotify on it so I could stop using my phone or bringing my iPad on the boat to pass around. Low and behold, it’s not available. 

I scoured the forum and found that other users *HAD Spotify in the past but then “someone”, maybe Spotify, stopped supporting it. 

I did download Pandora which I hardly use, I don’t believe iHeart Radio is available, nor is YouTube (to show new surfers how to videos on surfing), or Navionics. Basically the tablet seems pretty worthless to me other than to control the lights and other functions. 

I guess my question is, will this ever be fixed? If not has anyone started developing a solution to replace the tablet with something actually useful? Is this truly a Fire Tablet with a Malibu interface installed or a Malibu Screen with an Android interface installed? If it’s the first option, will we be able to load the Malibu interface on say a replacement iPad? If it’s the second option, can we install a different or updated OS on there?

I don’t know where to begin. I did reach out to Spotify who said “It should be available” even though it’s not. They were not very helpful. I haven’t had a chance to reach out to the dealer just yet for their input. Maybe someone has a contact at Malibu that I can send an inquiry to?

Just to clarify, this is about more than Spotify, it’s about all the other apps that aren’t available either; navigation, YouTube, iHeart Radio, faster browser, etc. I was just excited about Spotify the most. 

Please don’t give me a lecture about how it’s not a big deal. I (everyone who owns a Malibu) paid a lot of money for a boat with all this “new technology”. I kinda expect it to work. In the world we live in now, it seems like Malibu could have installed something better than the equivalent of Windows 98. 

I’m hoping for this thread to become a place where we can develop a solution as a group that benefits all of us and we can either get this fixed or at least pressure Malibu to send us a software update to make these new fancy screens worth the hype. 

Note: I did try the other solutions on this forum other than installing APKs. Didn’t want to brick my new boat. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dcarl said:

try this

I will try this in the morning. I have tried other versions of this but none have worked so far. Fingers crossed that this is the fix.

Surprised I haven’t seen that thread as much as I have searched. 

Thanks!

Tried this today. When I click download it takes me to the Amazon App Store which says “it is incompatible with your device. You cannot purchase this app from this device.”

• 7 months later...

I am struggling with this same issue… I want to download navionics which isn’t available in the Amazon store.. I can’t get google play to work…huge time suck… did you ever get this resolved?

Did anyone figure out what version of Amazon fire tablet they put into the 2022 LSV? Apparently with the correct version I can download several apk files that will allow me to download navionics through google play… I am disappointed in the interface as it is.

16 minutes ago, Trigger said:

I am struggling with this same issue… I want to download navionics which isn’t available in the Amazon store.. I can’t get google play to work…huge time suck… did you ever get this resolved?

Did anyone figure out what version of Amazon fire tablet they put into the 2022 LSV? Apparently with the correct version I can download several apk files that will allow me to download navionics through google play… I am disappointed in the interface as it is.

I’m glad you brought this up!   I haven’t tried to download it yet because I literally just got my boat.   I’m so unfamiliar with the android setup; it’s a definite learning curve for me.  

Please message me with the instructions when you have an answer!    If I get the answer first I will send it with you.  

On 4/18/2021 at 5:39 PM, TexasTurner said:

I’m trying to wrap my head around this issue but I don’t quite have a good grasp on it yet. 

I bought a new M220 with the newer Android touch screen (y’all are familiar). I was very excited about installing Spotify on it so I could stop using my phone or bringing my iPad on the boat to pass around. Low and behold, it’s not available. 

I scoured the forum and found that other users *HAD Spotify in the past but then “someone”, maybe Spotify, stopped supporting it. 

I did download Pandora which I hardly use, I don’t believe iHeart Radio is available, nor is YouTube (to show new surfers how to videos on surfing), or Navionics. Basically the tablet seems pretty worthless to me other than to control the lights and other functions. 

I guess my question is, will this ever be fixed? If not has anyone started developing a solution to replace the tablet with something actually useful? Is this truly a Fire Tablet with a Malibu interface installed or a Malibu Screen with an Android interface installed? If it’s the first option, will we be able to load the Malibu interface on say a replacement iPad? If it’s the second option, can we install a different or updated OS on there?

I don’t know where to begin. I did reach out to Spotify who said “It should be available” even though it’s not. They were not very helpful. I haven’t had a chance to reach out to the dealer just yet for their input. Maybe someone has a contact at Malibu that I can send an inquiry to?

Just to clarify, this is about more than Spotify, it’s about all the other apps that aren’t available either; navigation, YouTube, iHeart Radio, faster browser, etc. I was just excited about Spotify the most. 

Please don’t give me a lecture about how it’s not a big deal. I (everyone who owns a Malibu) paid a lot of money for a boat with all this “new technology”. I kinda expect it to work. In the world we live in now, it seems like Malibu could have installed something better than the equivalent of Windows 98. 

I’m hoping for this thread to become a place where we can develop a solution as a group that benefits all of us and we can either get this fixed or at least pressure Malibu to send us a software update to make these new fancy screens worth the hype. 

Note: I did try the other solutions on this forum other than installing APKs. Didn’t want to brick my new boat. 

Ok…. I just saw the post about Navionics and I posted that I need to know how to add it.   Now I see your post about Spotify!    One of the excited things about my new boat were the advanced screens and software that lets you use Navionics, Spotify, and other cool apps so you don’t have to use your phone.  

I’m hoping someone will know how to add Spotify to my apps.   If not, that’s disappointing!

1 hour ago, DHixson said:

Ok…. I just saw the post about Navionics and I posted that I need to know how to add it.   Now I see your post about Spotify!    One of the excited things about my new boat were the advanced screens and software that lets you use Navionics, Spotify, and other cool apps so you don’t have to use your phone.  

I’m hoping someone will know how to add Spotify to my apps.   If not, that’s disappointing!

There is a thread in the stereo info and how to forum on the Spotify issue. The title of the thread is “Spotify on media screen?” Look for my last few posts there and you’ll find the solution. It’s a fairly simple work around. 

Edited by SandS

Select the Settings icon on the Android screen.  In the settings menu, select the security menu and then toggle on the "allow installation of apps from unknown sources", then select OK in the pop up.

For navigation, download the I-boating app by using the browser icon in the main android menu and type in gpsnauticalcharts.com, select the menu bars at the top right, select the software tab, download and install the app.

After installation, register the software, then map regions can selected and purchased.

Edited by csleaver
  • Like 3
On 11/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, csleaver said:

Select the Settings icon on the Android screen.  In the settings menu, select the security menu and then toggle on the "allow installation of apps from unknown sources", then select OK in the pop up.

For navigation, download the I-boating app by using the browser icon in the main android menu and type in gpsnauticalcharts.com, select the menu bars at the top right, select the software tab, download and install the app.

After installation, register the software, then map regions can selected and purchased.

Fantastic!!!!   Thank you so much!!!!  I’m on it. I will install the GPS and Spotify tomorrow. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have spoken with Malibu and have spoken with a medallion tech ( the maker of the screen) there is no known work around. I also spoke with someone of navionics…. No other way to import it  The Android tablet is bust in my opinion. I am thinking of getting a iPad mini and making a Mount to go in the cell phone holder to allow the use of apps.

Edited by Trigger

Like you, I am so unimpressed with the Android system.   I was going on the web to search for a download and it keeps popping up with warning about the certificate so much I can’t even use it.    Very very very disappointed!!!    Technology drives things these days; when the technology sucks, it drags down my opinion of the entire product!!!!