Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speedometer and wedge issues

I recently pick up a 07 LSV that had a bad wedge actuator. I bought a new motor and rebuilt the old actuator. It worked great in the garage. I launched the boat for the first time, filled the ballast and tested the surf wave and didn't use the wedge. I emptied the ballast and started heading for the dock. Both my digital and analog speeds where bounching all over the place. It would go from 11 to 99 mph in a second. Even when not in gear the speed bounces around between 11 and 13 mph at idle and goes up with rpm's. The wedge will no longer raise as well. To further complicate things the speed goes to and stays at 0 when the interior lights are on regardless of actual speed. I checked grounds, connections at wedge controller and the main gauge electrical box. All looks good to me. 

What's your battery voltage looking like at your 1. terminals and 2. accessory sockets? What does your display indicate your battery voltage is at before startup (overnight) and while running? If it's less than 11.5 volts you may have a battery and/or charging circuit problem. The system needs to "see" steady forward speed of between 5mph and approx 10mph before it will enable the wedge to retract fully.

10 hours ago, tedshred said:

What's your battery voltage looking like at your 1. terminals and 2. accessory sockets? What does your display indicate your battery voltage is at before startup (overnight) and while running? If it's less than 11.5 volts you may have a battery and/or charging circuit problem. The system needs to "see" steady forward speed of between 5mph and approx 10mph before it will enable the wedge to retract fully.

Cold battery voltage was 12.1 on the display and running voltage is 14.5. I took the key to the on position right before cranking the engine and let it sit. The wedge, fuel, and temp gauges pointed straight down (off scale). Speedo and tach normal. I lowered it into the water and started it. All looked normal and speed was at 0. However if I turned the gauge lights on they all lost their minds and moved all over the place. Not sure what is going on.

1 hour ago, FordStang77 said:

Not sure what is going on.

This sounds like a case of low voltage due to cruddy connections.  Time to clean up under the dash.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, justgary said:

This sounds like a case of low voltage due to cruddy connections.  Time to clean up under the dash.

Definitely a great place to start. We had snow flurries today but next week when I get to the boat again I will do some cleaning. Should I use some kind of dielectric grease?

3 hours ago, FordStang77 said:

Definitely a great place to start. We had snow flurries today but next week when I get to the boat again I will do some cleaning. Should I use some kind of dielectric grease?

Sure.  Any spray oil will work fine. 

My preference is to use silicone oil for electronic connections over petroleum based oils such as WD40 etc. Start by isolating all power. Carefully remove each connector from the Medallion command module and clean the plugs and pins with a clean soft brush (e.g toothbrush) dipped in isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Let the connections dry thoroughly and then apply a thin coat of silicone spray to both sides of the connection. Refit and test. If that doesn't improve things you may have to go to the rear of the instrument panel/dash. However the same process applies. Look out for white oxide powder, salt/green discolouration on or around connectors or exposed circuit tracks and joins or signs of corrosion or overheating. Good luck!

2 hours ago, tedshred said:

My preference is to use silicone oil for electronic connections over petroleum based oils such as WD40 etc. Start by isolating all power. Carefully remove each connector from the Medallion command module and clean the plugs and pins with a clean soft brush (e.g toothbrush) dipped in isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Let the connections dry thoroughly and then apply a thin coat of silicone spray to both sides of the connection. Refit and test. If that doesn't improve things you may have to go to the rear of the instrument panel/dash. However the same process applies. Look out for white oxide powder, salt/green discolouration on or around connectors or exposed circuit tracks and joins or signs of corrosion or overheating. Good luck!

Thank you very much. Monday or Tuesday I will be heading to the cabin and giving it a shot. Fingers crossed. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 6:40 PM, justgary said:

The shawndoggy battery chart is helpful.

You mentioned the display (dash?) reads 12.1. 
Consider testing the voltage at the battery to determine its condition. A fully charged battery and a low number on the display would indicate you should look for cruddiness somewhere in the connections.

CA334531-97B4-4811-BE90-CA9D5337E113.jpeg

Does anyone know where the neutral bus bar is on a 2010 LSV?  I can see all the positive connectors by pulling the cover off the black box with the fuses.  I assume it is behind that black box so I will need to pull that to check.  Would it be easier to somehow go in from the top by removing the instrument pod?

Asking as it may also help the instrument issue.