Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slow drip from raw waterpump

VLXWakesetter

I changed out my impeller and after starting it up to see if they were any leaks from the cover (no leaks from there) i noticed I have a slow drip coming from the back of the pump just wanted to ask if that’s normal or is something wrong.

You can change the seal at the rear of the pump. 

www.oringsandmore.com part number 16x28x7 Buna-n oil seal.  SKU #OS16287.  $1.75 each when I bought a bag of ten a few years ago.  My buddy and I have three pumps between us, so we always have one ready to go if one leaks. 

Use a vise and drift the shaft out of the bearings, change the seal, and drift the shaft back in.  Don't forget the o-ring that rides the shaft to sling water when the seal leaks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

You all talking Johnson 812 pump?

812 is the impeller.  The pump is F6B.  Yes, that is what we are talking about.  Well, I am anyway....

On 4/17/2021 at 10:32 PM, justgary said:

www.oringsandmore.com part number 16x28x7 Buna-n oil seal.  SKU #OS16287.  $1.75 each when I bought a bag of ten a few years ago.  My buddy and I have three pumps between us, so we always have one ready to go if one leaks. 

Use a vise and drift the shaft out of the bearings, change the seal, and drift the shaft back in.  Don't forget the o-ring that rides the shaft to sling water when the seal leaks. 

Tell me more about said o-ring. Do you have a part number for that? Pretty sure my pump has been leaking for quite some time, may as well rebuild it before I put the new impeller in this year.

13 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Tell me more about said o-ring. Do you have a part number for that? Pretty sure my pump has been leaking for quite some time, may as well rebuild it before I put the new impeller in this year.

Any old o-ring that fits the shaft should do.  Its only job is to ride along with you and wait until your seal starts leaking, in which case it deflects the water and causes it to drip rather than run into your ball bearings.  It goes between the seal and the bearings in the open space.  You just have to remember to put it on as you reinsert the shaft through the bearing stack and into the seal.

• Thanks 1
On 4/17/2021 at 8:32 PM, justgary said:

Would I have to remove the water pump to replace the seal or can I do it with the pump still on the boat?

1 minute ago, Bozboat said:

You have to remove it. 

Would it be easier to just buy a new one for $142? And just swap it out?

7 hours ago, VLXWakesetter said:

Yes just replace it with a new one, then if your tempted you could repair the old one as a spare. My old one is still in the drawer waiting for me to decide whether to fix it or chunk it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Yes just replace it with a new one, then if your tempted you could repair the old one as a spare. My old one is still in the drawer waiting for me to decide whether to fix it or chunk it.

Fix it!  It is too simple to do.  Honestly, about a five minute job once you have done your first one.

9 hours ago, VLXWakesetter said:

Still have to remove it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, electricjohn said:

Still have to remove it.

Yes but I wouldn’t have to take it apart and rebuild it

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Fix it!  It is too simple to do.  Honestly, about a five minute job once you have done your first one.

Just disconnect the hoses and unbolt the pump correct? 

11 minutes ago, Slayer said:

This happened to me several years ago.  Very simple, and yes....disconnect the hoses and unbolt the pump and slide it off.  

Yeah, simple ;)  Depends on how corroded the pump is to the crank pulley/balancer.  Some people have broke them in half trying to "tap" them apart after removing the bolts that hold the pump on.

15 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah, simple ;)  Depends on how corroded the pump is to the crank pulley/balancer.  Some people have broke them in half trying to "tap" them apart after removing the bolts that hold the pump on.

I could see that happening.  

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Shoot, if it is really stuck like that, use a wheel puller and pull the body off of the shaft.  Change the seal and tap the body back on.  Done.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, justgary said:

812 is the impeller.  The pump is F6B.  Yes, that is what we are talking about.  Well, I am anyway....

Is this the correct pump?  https://marinepumpdirect.com/johnson-pump-10-24946-01-replaces-10-24930-01-10-24915-01-10-24232-01-and-others/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9_mDBhCGARIsAN3PaFNR1eVsw5WaVo_6jAaephm7EUZb5GSF80YsVRKyHw9Wl6PfwnJUZyMaAh-5EALw_wcB

4 hours ago, VLXWakesetter said:

That looks like it may be correct.  The spare I have is a 10-24805-01, and the following link says that it is replaced by the pump you mentioned.

https://www.pumpvendor.com/Johnson_10-24805-01.html

• Like 1
On 4/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, justgary said:

That looks like it may be correct.  The spare I have is a 10-24805-01, and the following link says that it is replaced by the pump you mentioned.

https://www.pumpvendor.com/Johnson_10-24805-01.html

Ok thank I don’t need any seals or gaskets with it? Or is it Just a direct swap?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 9:25 AM, justgary said:

Since it will be my first time, it should take me about two weeks???
1 week to order and receive the new seal.  4 hours to bust the old pump while trying to remove it.  An hour of cussing and texting @ahopkinsVTXfor sending me this link, and then another week to get the new pump delivered and installed.  

C3AFAE47-E7EF-47BE-B715-7FAA7C4EA5C5.png