Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 A24 surf setup?

bovhica

How is everyone setting up their 21 A24s to surf?  Just took the maiden voyage on my buddy's new Axis.  Beautiful boat!  We filled all stock ballast and pnp (bow bag and rear 750s) 100% full and deployed floating wedge.  We tested the speeds on both sides and 10.6 to 11.2 the wave was nice.  Obviously taller and less length at the slower speed while shorter in height but a bit longer at faster speed.  I'm a big guy and had no problem surfing ropeless at any speed in that range.  Wave was a little firmer over 11 mph and more to my liking.  However, I could only surf about 10 to 15 ft back at the optimum speed with this ballast configuration.  I know this boat has potential to be a surf monster so what do we need to do differently for a better wave?  We did have a smaller crew of 4 adults today.

For reference I have an 2011 malibu 21 ft. vride with Go Surf Assist and we run 4000 lbs of ballast.  With same size crew my wave is more powerful, taller and longer.  I have my boat maxed out and dialed to its full potential.  Do we need more weight in the A24 than his current setup, and if so, how much and where?  I feel like this bigger and newer boat should out perform my 10 year old 21 footer.  It doesn't the way it is setup now.  Please help me get it there.  I want to be wowed by the height and length of the wave that I've heard so much about on the A24.

Edit:  pictures, because everyone likes pictures.10466.thumb.jpeg.f17c4c754b8671b8d8bf0ddcc426ab3d.jpeg10468.thumb.jpeg.cfd983f25cb6db6bad735409dbf44867.jpeg

10474.jpeg

Edited by bovhica

I am not sure if the hull changed... 

On my 2018, I run everything including pnp full. I have 600# lead stashed under the bow bag and in battery hole, 100# in the drivers console and another 100# in the observer compartment. 

another 300# either side of boat at back of rear seats.

1 hour ago, MFknK said:

I am not sure if the hull changed... 

On my 2018, I run everything including pnp full. I have 600# lead stashed under the bow bag and in battery hole, 100# in the drivers console and another 100# in the observer compartment. 

another 300# either side of boat at back of rear seats.

Thanks for the reply.  I think it was a slight change to hull.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it think it was just more freeboard but same running surface.

I figured it probably needed more weight, I just wasn't sure how much and where.  It's not my boat, so I dont have the time to play with it and figured someone here could help me out.  Much appreciated!

So you are running an extra 1100 in lead?  Are you running 750s in the rear or larger?  750s seemed to fill the locker so not sure if he can go larger without a custom bag.

I have 500 in lead and a 750 bow bag from my boat that we can try in his A24 next time to simulate the lead you've placed.  Hope that will help.  It's a good wave, I just was a little disappointed it wasn't as good as mine.  I was thinking it would and should be better being a much bigger and newer hull design.  Probably just needs a lot more weight to have a fair comparison.

Edited by bovhica
On 4/18/2021 at 7:49 PM, bovhica said:

Also, do you trailer that extra 1100?  He has a 1/2 ton pickup so he is already likely pushing tow limits.

I am running 1400# of lead. I do have the 750’s in the locker. With 6 adults in the boat, its honestly one of the better waves I have surfed on a boat. 
I personally do not surf with the wedge and like to run at 12.2 mph.

I have trailered with the lead, but only short distances. I have a 3/4 ton diesel, but that would be a big load to stop with a 1/2 ton truck.