Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 real world valuations

RCorsa

I hear due to boat production issues and limited supplies used boats are going for a premium. I’m considering selling my loaded 2018 M235 with about 175 hours on it.  Looking at boat trader values based on asking price are all over the map. I generally opt for quick sale but don’t want to under price it as I know I’ll be paying more of a premium for a new boat based on the same limited supply.  

any assistance appreciated 

I don't have a great sense on M235 pricing but you're really only competing in the western US with the couple M235s at Hagadone. While people will ship from further, the FL boats are presumed to be in salt water and tend to run cheaper. Hagadone moves a lot of boats and knows their pricing in the CDA area. 

Write up a good ad, take some great pics and see what response you get at a higher price point. The make me move prices are being bid and you may even be in the money on your 2018. I posted up a motorhome last Friday night for a lot more than I thought I'd get and took a large deposit in less than 24 hours for asking price.

Do you have an M240 lined up yet? That could be the much tougher part of this deal. 

6 hours ago, RCorsa said:

I hear due to boat production issues and limited supplies used boats are going for a premium. I’m considering selling my loaded 2018 M235 with about 175 hours on it.  Looking at boat trader values based on asking price are all over the map. I generally opt for quick sale but don’t want to under price it as I know I’ll be paying more of a premium for a new boat based on the same limited supply.  

any assistance appreciated 

Hi RCorsa,

Shoot a video and post it with your ad. Even if you upload your video to Youtube and paste the link into your ad, Boattrader and Inboardsonly, prospective buyers that are not close to you will take a much harder look at your boat if there is a video or two. Perhaps take an exterior walk-around and then do something similar for the interior. 

Best,

Chris

Great idea s on selling. I do worry about trying to get a new boat if I were to sell and if so the fact that dealers are likely not discounting boats much will likely offset the added value in my used boat.  

From a financial stand point the best move would be sell now and buy new in 2022 when demand will likely be back to normal but not having a boat this summer is kind of a non starter. 

I think it's like home or car buying right now...

- Terrible time if you're buying.

- Great time if you're selling.

- Net neutral if you're selling and then buying.  (trading up)

35 minutes ago, RCorsa said:

Great idea s on selling. I do worry about trying to get a new boat if I were to sell and if so the fact that dealers are likely not discounting boats much will likely offset the added value in my used boat.  

From a financial stand point the best move would be sell now and buy new in 2022 when demand will likely be back to normal but not having a boat this summer is kind of a non starter. 

Hi RCorsa,

Malibu, and other boat manufactures, prices are expected to increase significantly in 2022. I am hearing a 2022 25 LSV will see a 10 to 15% price increase. So while demand may calm down a bit in 12 months, you should add to your thinking the price increases for a 2022 model. 

Chris

Pricing aside, just be aware that unless you can actually see and demo the M240 you want now, the next available one could well be in September, or later. Many customers who put deposits down last fall are slipping into July and August.

Chris is right on the pricing rumors, which will be across the board.