Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Waterproofing Factory Cover?

Hello All,

Any advice on the best solution for waterproofing the gray factory cover?  Mine is a few years old and due for some TLC.

Thanks!

Admin- Feel free to move to a different forum if not applicable to this one.

What about mildew stains? Not the whole cover but certain areas. Upset my dealer didn’t care for my new boat like I would expect over winter. Is there another 303 product for cleaning the cover?

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

What about mildew stains? Not the whole cover but certain areas. Upset my dealer didn’t care for my new boat like I would expect over winter. Is there another 303 product for cleaning the cover?

Find another place to store next time.  303 Marine Mold & Mildew Cleaner + Blocker  works.

13 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Lay it out and clean it, scrub or power washer.  Get rid of the mold/mildew with soap or another cleaning solution.  Then a little TLC with 303 products and you should be good to go.

If it was stored outside, exposed to the elements, it is Mother Nature and not your dealer who is in control.  If you paid for inside storage that is a different matter entirely.

FYI- I went to buy the 303 and my local dealer (Bake's Marine) recommended buying the Starbrite product instead.  They said it is exactly the same but about half the price.  I will let you know how it works.

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, Chappy said:

FYI- I went to buy the 303 and my local dealer (Bake's Marine) recommended buying the Starbrite product instead.  They said it is exactly the same but about half the price.  I will let you know how it works.

I’ve got a gallon in the garage of starbrite too and will be treating my cover this spring. I’ll report back too. 

• Like 2

You can use woolite and a commercial sized washer at a laundromat on gentle cycle to clean the cover as well.    Use 303, Starbrite, or west marine brand waterproofer with PTEF.   I've used the West Marine brand and it compares with the other two.    

Get a gallon of it.  Put it in a pump sprayer.  Lay your cover in the driveway.  Spray enough waterproofer to change the color of the cover(so you know its damp with the waterproofer).  Let it dry.  Apply 1-2 more coats this way to make sure it is adequately covered.   The first time I did it, I didn't do it this way and missed spots.  Plus if you do 2-3 coats, you get better all around waterproofing.

I started treating my new cover for the new boat last weekend but ran out before the wet and snow arrived.  II was using 303 fabric guard, and it does work well.  I've used it on all our boats over the years with good success.  I ran out and ordered more but it didn't arrive before the snow.  

On 4/20/2021 at 5:37 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’ve got a gallon in the garage of starbrite too and will be treating my cover this spring. I’ll report back too. 

Looking forward to that.

Question - Does the 303 treatment help to keep the cover clean at all?  My boat is on a lift under a pretty good sized roof - water proofing is not really a requirement for me, but the cover gets really dirty.  I use a blower on it before uncovering, but I still think that I am transferring dirt / grime to the inside of the cover as I fold the cover up when uncovering the boat.

I need to give mine a good wash and am looking for a better solution to help keep it clean.

15 minutes ago, amartin said:

Question - Does the 303 treatment help to keep the cover clean at all?  My boat is on a lift under a pretty good sized roof - water proofing is not really a requirement for me, but the cover gets really dirty.  I use a blower on it before uncovering, but I still think that I am transferring dirt / grime to the inside of the cover as I fold the cover up when uncovering the boat.

I need to give mine a good wash and am looking for a better solution to help keep it clean.

No.  I have waterproofed my cover and I keep my boat on a covered lift.  My cover is usually pretty dirty by summers end if I don't clean it, which I don't until the end of summer or beginning of the season.  I put my cover on if I know it is going to rain since my cover doesn't stop rain coming in the sides.

5 hours ago, amartin said:

Got to clean stuff to keep it clean.  Magic dust is just a hoax.

Edited by dlb
  • 11 months later...

Bumping this thread for another purpose - my baggy nylon dry suit is gtting pretty weepy, more than just seams leaking. Wondering if soaking it in a gallon of one of the above products would help at all.

45 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Bumping this thread for another purpose - my baggy nylon dry suit is gtting pretty weepy, more than just seams leaking. Wondering if soaking it in a gallon of one of the above products would help at all.

It sounds like the urethane coating is starting to wear off of the inside.  I have a few tents that have done that, and the spray coatings work a bit, but not like the original.

You might try a small place first, but it seems like you could turn it inside out, clean it well, and spray it with clear urethane.  I suspect that would restore the barrier coat that the nylon had.