Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SD6/8 speakers

BaBaLoO

Hi all,

Purchased a wetsounds SD6 amp and was wondering how to wire 8-Polk mm6501um 4ohm speakers to get the most out of them. Originally had 2- 600w amps ( 4 speaker per amp) for them so a little lost. 

Thanks 

4 to individual channels 1-4.

Wire the last 4 into 2 pairs in parallel.  Wire to channels 5/6.

This will run 185w RMS to 4 speakers, and 290w RMS to each of the last 2 pairs, or 145w rms each.

I'd run the main area speakers on channels 1-4, and the bow/walkthrough speakers in parallel on 5/6.  

Speakers are rated to 125W RMS max, so watch your gain settings, you will have enough power to cook those speakers. 

Good luck!

My bad, it’s an SD4 🤦‍♂️! Recommendations?

On 4/15/2021 at 8:37 AM, dhcomp said:

4 to individual channels 1-4.

Wire the last 4 into 2 pairs in parallel.  Wire to channels 5/6.

This will run 185w RMS to 4 speakers, and 290w RMS to each of the last 2 pairs, or 145w rms each.

I'd run the main area speakers on channels 1-4, and the bow/walkthrough speakers in parallel on 5/6.  

Speakers are rated to 125W RMS max, so watch your gain settings, you will have enough power to cook those speakers. 

Good luck!

On 4/22/2021 at 5:01 PM, dhcomp said:

2 speakers per channel, in parallel. However you want to arrange them. Gets you 160/speaker rms I think. 

its 180 per channel, 685 bridging two channels, its really an amp suited best to run two subs or say two 410’s bridged 

2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

its 180 per channel, 685 bridging two channels, its really an amp suited best to run two subs or say two 410’s bridged 

Not giving direction to bridge channels.  Directing original poster to put 2 speakers on each channel.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 8:39 AM, granddaddy55 said:

I bridged 2 channels, but still don’t think I’m getting the most out of it. What is the configuration for the rca’s, Reading the manual it says I don’t don’t need a rca y, is the correct?

rca’s are inputs to amp from the source so yes you naturally need them.  if you have the positive 1 negative two, same for 3/4, you are bridged and now need to tune your amp 

On 5/16/2021 at 7:43 AM, granddaddy55 said:

rca’s are inputs to amp from the source so yes you naturally need them.  if you have the positive 1 negative two, same for 3/4, you are bridged and now need to tune your amp 

Yes I understand this but in the manual it says there is no need for an rca y. So I guess my question is do I in fact need 2 sets of rca cables or can I just do 1 pair? 

Edited by BaBaLoO
On 5/16/2021 at 1:48 AM, BaBaLoO said:

I bridged 2 channels, but still don’t think I’m getting the most out of it. What is the configuration for the rca’s, Reading the manual it says I don’t don’t need a rca y, is the correct?

What amp and driver are you bridging? Previous discussion was about 8 drivers and a 4 chnl amp, did this plan change?  

2 hours ago, MLA said:

What amp and driver are you bridging? Previous discussion was about 8 drivers and a 4 chnl amp, did this plan change?  

SD4 amp, bridged the front 4 drivers to channels 1-2 and bridged the back 4 drivers to 3-4 channels (all positive for front drivers to positive of channel 1 and all negatives to negative of channel 2, same for back 4 drivers but for channels 3-4)I had put the selector switch to 3-4 and have one pair of rcas going to channel 1-2 but seems like my speakers should be hitting harder. 

Edited by BaBaLoO

People are confused over your terminology. You have 2 speakers on a channel, but the amp isn’t bridged. 1 speaker on 2 channels would be bridging amp channels. 

if hooked up properly, your issue is tuning related now

what is feeding source to your amps?

You need to properly setup amp gains

on my dx6, fed from preouts on a wetsounds eq, I was able to run the gain up to 3/4 ish before detecting distortion on a SMD DD-1 device. This is specific to my setup, but I’d do some internet reading on properly setting gains.  

Ok, I got it. You have a pair of speakers wired in parallel, per/chnl. Nothing is bridged. Unless you want FADE, only a single pair of RCA is required for 2 chnl mode. If all 8 speakers play, then the amp is configured correctly, and its time to tune it. 

If this is new equipment sourced from a reputable dealer, I would certainly enlist their assistance on properly tuning the amp. Lots of power potential that could easily result in a blown speaker, if the settings are not ideal. 

Since you have 8 speakers driven by 4 channels, you can't gain each pair individually. So I might pause and consider how I should best arrange by location my paralleled speaker groupings.

3 hours ago, David said:

Since you have 8 speakers driven by 4 channels, you can't gain each pair individually. So I might pause and consider how I should best arrange by location my paralleled speaker groupings.

I figured having the front 4 speakers in parallel, bridged to channels 1-2 and back 4 in parallel bridged to channels 3-4 would be suffice? I don’t need to control any fading on them, just want all in boats to be at the same sound level.

I’m using a ws-420bt as my head unit. 

The SD4 has gains for 1-2 and 3-4, i think.

If running off a clean 420 signal, you SHOULD be able to reach near 3/4 gain (pointed straight right, when connection are on bottom).  Follow normal gain setting procedures, but that was the point at which mine remained clear.  Anything over that mark started to distort.  

5 minutes ago, BaBaLoO said:

front 4 speakers in parallel, bridged to channels 1-2 and back 4 in parallel bridged to channels 3-4 would be suffice?

I am hoping this it still just some confusion about the terminology. If you are indeed bridging channels, you are going to send that amp into protect mode real quick. 

Are you sure each pair is in parallel? May have a pair in series or out of phase. May be worth getting a rep from your retail source on the phone while you are looking at the amp, to go over all the settings and configuration. 

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

see how they have 8 speakers wired in parallel to amp. Call right in the picture channels 1-2 and left channels 3-4. Bridged channel 1-2 (4 speakers) and channels 3-4(the remaining 4 speakers) 

sorry can’t upload photos. I believe the way it’s wired is correct. 

appreciate your time and efforts on this guys!

Edited by BaBaLoO

I do not think you have bridged 4 parallel speakers to channels 1/2 and 4 speakers in parallel to chnls 3/4. This would be a 1 ohm bridged load and the amp will not handle it. As its been stated a number of times, you should one pair of speakers in parallel wired to each channel, nothing bridged. But you need to make sure each pair is wired in parallel and in the correct phase. This is step 1. Next is amp setup, then amp and source unit gain setting.