Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Indmar monsoon 5.7 liter LSV23 2014 Sluggish Acceleration

Could be fuel or spark.  How long since a tune up?  Do that (plugs, cap, rotor, wires) and test fuel pressure at idle, midrange, and wide open throttle. 

19 minutes ago, Lsv23malibu said:

Funny... I was going to replace the plugs tomorrow. Should I buy the expensive ones? Any advice there for what type or brand?

You can use the AC 41-993 or 41-101 at 0.060 inch gap.  Checking the fuel condition, performing a fuel pressure test, and checking for any diagnostic codes may also be a good idea to narrow down the cause of the running issue.

@Lsv23malibu - on the plug question, my opinion is no, nothing special about the engine requiring expensive spark plugs.  Personally, I like NGK's as a brand, great quality control and work fine.  As for the acceleration issue, could you provide more info?  Is this a recent or sudden change, what has led to it, how many hours on the engine, when was the last tune up, is this the first run of the season, what year boat and are there any codes stored on the dash?

Changed the plugs. Still have the bogging problem. Yes this is the first run after being laid up but I got gas all the way down to almost empty and put new fuel in. My 2014 has almost 700 hours. I think I’ll change the fuel filter next but it is so buried in congestion, going to be tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the plugs and still have same problem. If I ease in to acceleration I can get going pretty fast 20mph or so with no problem. If I accelerate quickly at all ... that’s where I bet the extreme bogging down and sputtering and stalling. I think I will now try to replace the inline fuel filter. On this model wakesetter lsv23 2014 5.7 liter Indmar monsoon 351 it is unbelievably hard to get to and in a congested area.

should only have fuel filter in fuel pump in tank that supposedly is non maintenance , though the pump could be going out. i have 1030 hours but have run only non ethanol since day one that shouldn't be necessary either.  

when were the plug wires changed.  mine were changed twice early on but not in at least 700+ hours

Edited by granddaddy55
18 hours ago, Lsv23malibu said:

Replaced the plugs and still have same problem. If I ease in to acceleration I can get going pretty fast 20mph or so with no problem. If I accelerate quickly at all ... that’s where I bet the extreme bogging down and sputtering and stalling. I think I will now try to replace the inline fuel filter. On this model wakesetter lsv23 2014 5.7 liter Indmar monsoon 351 it is unbelievably hard to get to and in a congested area.

Post #2 suggested that you do a complete tune up first, which is plugs, cap, rotor, and wires.  You changed the plugs only.  Complete the tune up before you proceed with diagnosis.

The next suggestion was to test your fuel pressure.  Yes, it is a good idea to go for a low-hanging fruit like a fuel filter, but you still don't know if you have a fuel or spark problem.  If you have correct pressure, your filter is good.

@justgaryu r correct giving me sound advice for troubleshooting. I need todo this things anyway. The symptoms just seem to point more to filter. It was very difficult to remove. Just hope I can get new one in. Where do I test fuel pressure?

@Lsv23malibu - you should have a schrader valve on the fuel rail to check fuel pressure.  You might want to look under the distributor cap and see if there is any corrosion.  Another culprit can be a stuck anti siphon valve, located on the top of the fuel tank.

You should have a 4 Bar fuel system, so it should have ~60 PSI with key on/engine off, at idle, and at wide open throttle.  Yes, check all three.  A pressure gauge is fairly cheap, or an auto parts store may rent one to you.

13 hours ago, justgary said:

Post #2 suggested that you do a complete tune up first, which is plugs, cap, rotor, and wires.  You changed the plugs only.  Complete the tune up before you proceed with diagnosis.

The next suggestion was to test your fuel pressure.  Yes, it is a good idea to go for a low-hanging fruit like a fuel filter, but you still don't know if you have a fuel or spark problem.  If you have correct pressure, your filter is good.

in a 2014 is the module wires plug into an actual cap and rotor distributor?.  isnt plugs and wires enough

Edited by granddaddy55
24 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

in a 2014 is the module wires plug into an actual cap and rotor distributor?.  isnt plugs and wires enough

Sorry, sure, if that is a complete tuneup, then that's it.  The point is that you don't do half a tuneup and then go troubleshoot something else when you just left the low-hanging ripe fruit that was blocking your way up the tree.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, justgary said:

Sorry, sure, if that is a complete tuneup, then that's it.  The point is that you don't do half a tuneup and then go troubleshoot something else when you just left the low-hanging ripe fruit that was blocking your way up the tree.  

thats why i asked about his plug wires 

On 5/3/2021 at 10:38 PM, justgary said:

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced distributor cap and rotor and plug wires. Still same problem. Added some fuel injector cleaner “tuneup in a bottle”. Didn’t help. Beginning to think it is bad gas from ethanol or water in gas. Mechanic said to run it all the way dry as best I can. Think I should look at replacing the fuel filter that is inside the pump?

Dude, go down to the local parts store and grab their fuel system pressure tester. FREE. But you gotta put a deposit down.

Easy, takes 5 seconds. Do that before you do anything else.

Steve B.

• 3 weeks later...

i have the fuel pressure kit with me now. will try to hook up to shrader valve. what pressure am i looking for? is it different under idol and cruising underway? or am i just looking for one pressure range? can i do it in the driveway connected to flush hose or does it need to be in water underway?

at idle in the driveway just now fuel pressure measured 56.

I am getting alarm code. SPN:66019 FMI:8 abnormal frequency or pulse width and SPN:65598 FMI:7 Mechanical System not responding properly

56lbs may be a little low but not by much. I dont know what that alarm is. I have a feeling now your regulator and pump are ok. Hm. But still seems like a fuel issue to me. Hopefully someone will chime in on the alarm, and if it is related.

Steve B.

My ignition coil has never been replaced and looks corroded. Also had a strange visible spark jumping. I’m gunna replace it. Wonder if that could be related to the symptoms