Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Convince Me (Spend My Money) - F-150 Edition

Kojak

1 hour ago, martinarcher said:

The 3.5 Ecoboost is so hard to describe to someone....and have them believe you.  :lol:   I had the same reservations about a V6 truck, you just have to experience it.  

Very true :thumbup:

The best part of this is that even though I get great performance at sea level, I would expect close to the same performance through a high mountain pass due to the boosted engine.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:42 AM, justgary said:

Exactly.  I have still not floored my truck from a standstill, but I did pass a few cars backed up behind a dude with a trailer the other day on a hilly backroad.  Not much room in the passing lane before the next hilltop, so I floored it.  Got to 95 as I passed the third car....

take the TC off snd floor it at a standstill and it will smoke the tires off the truck

Edited by granddaddy55
On 6/10/2021 at 10:23 AM, justgary said:

The best part of this is that even though I get great performance at sea level, I would expect close to the same performance through a high mountain pass due to the boosted engine.

Have you noticed a difference in performance at the hotter temperatures?  Mine seems to drop a notch when the temps hit the 90s - still more power available than I need, just can feel a difference.

2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

take the TC off snd floor it at a standstill and it will smoke the tires off the truck

That's what I hear.  I buy my own tires, though, so I need them on the truck.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DAI said:

Have you noticed a difference in performance at the hotter temperatures?  Mine seems to drop a notch when the temps hit the 90s - still more power available than I need, just can feel a difference.

I have not noticed any difference.  It was 94 Thursday when I went to play lunchtime soccer, but I didn't need to get into the boost.  Could it be that you have the A/C on?  We need it pretty much year round here to control humidity, so I have not driven the truck with it off.

12 hours ago, justgary said:

I have not noticed any difference.  It was 94 Thursday when I went to play lunchtime soccer, but I didn't need to get into the boost.  Could it be that you have the A/C on?  We need it pretty much year round here to control humidity, so I have not driven the truck with it off.

Both my 2012 ecoboost and my 2004 duramax both came alive on days when temp was in 50s.   I don’t recall the 99 dodge Cummins I had doing much more than rattling when cold,  but then I have never played  “lunch time soccer” 

Two of my boys, (when much younger) asked what happened when you floored the truck, so I floored the 99 dodge and the transmission crapped out and we had to limp home. Perfect lesson. 

Edited by Bozboat
  • Haha 3
36 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Both my 2012 ecoboost , but it and my 2004 duramax both came alive on days when temp was in 50s.   I don’t recall the 99 dodge Cummins I had doing much more than rattling when cold,  but then I have never played  “lunch time soccer” 

Two of my boys, (when much younger) asked what happened when you floored the truck, so I floored the 99 dodge and the transmission crapped out and we had to limp home. Perfect lesson. 

I see.  I bought my truck in late March, so maybe I missed performance season.  I'll be sure to keep it in mind the next time the temperature drops below 55.

I did notice recently that the engine kill feature (when stopped at a red light, for instance) does not work when it is hot outside.  The dash says that the engine is on due to outside temperature.  93*F is enough to trigger it, so now I'm on the hunt to find the lowest temperature that it will inhibit auto kill.

How could you tell the difference between the Cummins rattling when cold and the rest of the time?

1 hour ago, justgary said:

I see.  I bought my truck in late March, so maybe I missed performance season.  I'll be sure to keep it in mind the next time the temperature drops below 55.

I did notice recently that the engine kill feature (when stopped at a red light, for instance) does not work when it is hot outside.  The dash says that the engine is on due to outside temperature.  93*F is enough to trigger it, so now I'm on the hunt to find the lowest temperature that it will inhibit auto kill.

How could you tell the difference between the Cummins rattling when cold and the rest of the time?

I  have not had the gas golf cart kill instead of idle feature on anything yet. If I had it I would disable it or press the disable button as part of the launch sequence. One of my boys has a newer F150 5.0 with that and I hit the cancel button every time I get to ride in it. I did not realize it is temperature sensitive but then I have not been able to drive it since Xmas. 
Of the three, the duramax was the most temperature sensitive and the 99 Cummins, while a true tugboat, was basically a loud and unruly tugboat. Neither diesel did well on short daily commutes, and both depended on regular full throttle runs to keep running smoothly. (Note to all fanboys, this is just my experience based on a sample of one of each model and therefore not meant to apply to anyone else’s experience)

I think the reasoning behind the high temperature idle is to make sure that the AC keeps running.  So far it has told me that it keeps the engine running due to high outside temp, inside cooling, towing, and engine warming up. 

As for the engine kill, I love it.  I have not had a single time that I wanted to go but the engine wasn't ready.  It is ready before you can move your foot from the brake to the gas. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Neither diesel did well on short daily commutes, and both depended on regular full throttle runs to keep running smoothly. (Note to all fanboys, this is just my experience based on a sample of one of each model and therefore not meant to apply to anyone else’s experience)

Diesels have changed a lot since 99 and 04. Many people stand next to mine and dont even realize it is a diesel.

I have had an 02 Ford 7.3 in the fleet that I just sold, and personal daily drivers That consisted of

03 Ford 7.3, 04 Ford 6.0, 06 Ford 6.0, O8 Ram 6.7, 14 Ram 6.7, and now have a 18 Ram 6.7 that I am getting ready to trade in. I am hoping to get a 22 Ram 6.7. I am waiting til 22 because they are offering an Allison Transmission.

They get quieter every year. 

On 6/12/2021 at 7:52 PM, justgary said:

if the Ac is not on, no matter the temp, it turns off,  on hot days mine will turn off with AC on lower fan speeds, but because of AC only stay off about 30-40 seconds

9 hours ago, surfdude said:

My 2020 Raptor gets 15 mpg in town, up from 13.5 in the 17. These ecoboosts get better all the time.

If I had a Raptor I'd probably get about 15 also.  As it is, having the MPG display constantly in front of me has tamed me somewhat since it is now a game to try to achieve a new high score.  I get around 18.5 in town, and about 20 in mixed driving.  Interstate at 70-72 seems to be right at 22.  This is with max tow, so definitely not the best gears for mileage, but I'm still impressed.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

If I had a Raptor I'd probably get about 15 also.  As it is, having the MPG display constantly in front of me has tamed me somewhat since it is now a game to try to achieve a new high score.  I get around 18.5 in town, and about 20 in mixed driving.  Interstate at 70-72 seems to be right at 22.  This is with max tow, so definitely not the best gears for mileage, but I'm still impressed.

on my 2.7 with 373 rear end def has an effect,  to get 22 i cant exceed 65, to get the rated 26 it would be 55

if i drive in town light to light and mixed with very short hwy drives i get the rated city 19 or just under, but with a super conservative skinny pedal

towing 75 i get 8-9 going up and down hills

Edited by granddaddy55
16 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Diesels have changed a lot since 99 and 04. Many people stand next to mine and dont even realize it is a diesel.

I have had an 02 Ford 7.3 in the fleet that I just sold, and personal daily drivers That consisted of

03 Ford 7.3, 04 Ford 6.0, 06 Ford 6.0, O8 Ram 6.7, 14 Ram 6.7, and now have a 18 Ram 6.7 that I am getting ready to trade in. I am hoping to get a 22 Ram 6.7. I am waiting til 22 because they are offering an Allison Transmission.

They get quieter every year. 

I agree with this.  I have a friend with a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 with the baby duramax and you can't even tell it's a diesel.  Surprising little mill in that truck.  

17 hours ago, surfdude said:

My 2020 Raptor gets 15 mpg in town, up from 13.5 in the 17. These ecoboosts get better all the time.

I’m typically about 16 - 17 highway, 18 - 19 on my county roads around town and  8-9 towing.  Long stretches of county highways (where there are occasional stop signs and traffic lights) and can sometimes get 20+ On summer gas.

8 hours ago, Slayer said:

I agree with this.  I have a friend with a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 with the baby duramax and you can't even tell it's a diesel.  Surprising little mill in that truck.  

I’m sorry, but put me in the the category of person/people who can’t get past the amazing two cycle Detroit Diesel. The sound of that beast goes a long way to eliminate my concern for all of its inefficient stubbornness.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Bozboat said:

I’m sorry, but put me in the the category of person/people who can’t get past the amazing two cycle Detroit Diesel. The sound of that beast goes a long way to eliminate my concern for all of its inefficient stubbornness.

No need to apologize.  I completely understand.

• 1 year later...