Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Convince Me (Spend My Money) - F-150 Edition

Kojak

2018 Ford F-150 Lariat

So I'm looking at this 2018 F-150.  It has all the bells and whistles on it that I want but I've never been a Ford guy.  I really want a new Ram Limited but can't afford it right now.  The wife wants it for the trailer backup assist.  She's the trailer backer as she hates driving the boat onto the trailer.  We're moving this summer and will be much closer to the lake so we'll be backing the trailer much more often than we do now.  I should add that I'm coming from a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500.

So tell me why I need this truck or why not.  I tried searching for the long F-150 thread but didn't find it.

Edited by Kojak

I was told by a close family friend who is an engineer at ford to buy the 3.5 eco over the 5.0. I liked my 2012 5.0 but recently purchased a used an 18 3.5 eco and I have zero regrets. It pulls great, smooth and quiet.

As for the trailer assist I cant give much input as I do not used it, but the 360 view and added cameras are nice when backing.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, 06malibu said:

I was told by a close family friend who is an engineer at ford to buy the 3.5 eco over the 5.0. I liked my 2012 5.0 but recently purchased a used an 18 3.5 eco and I have zero regrets. It pulls great, smooth and quiet.

As for the trailer assist I cant give much input as I do not used it, but the 360 view and added cameras are nice when backing.

What was the reason for the 3.5 over the 5.0?

Which motor? I had an ‘18 fully optioned lariat with the 3.5 eco. With the 36 gallon tank, 600 miles per tank while commuting or road tripping was pretty common. I never set up the backup assist so can’t comment there. Make sure it has the led headlights. I would probably still have it if Ford could design a fuel system properly. 

4 minutes ago, Kojak said:

What was the reason for the 3.5 over the 5.0?

The torque curve and HP.  It is truly impressive to me what this engine/transmission combo can do.  I have resisted the urge to do a burnout so far, but I hear that it can easily do it.  I traded an '05 with 5.4L V8.

I just bought a 2020 F-150 with the 3.5L and max tow package (with 36 gallon tank).  I don't have the 360 cameras, but I do have the trailer backing assist.  I have been backing trailers for 45 years, so it was a gimmick to me.  I put the stickers on two of my trailers and tried it.  With a little practice I could actually use it, but I'm sure I'm ten times faster and more accurate by doing it myself.  The main difference is that when backing using the steering wheel, everything stays the same until you turn the wheel.  With the little back assist knob, it tries to point the trailer where you have the knob pointed.  Let go of the knob and the trailer will straighten out.  If you have a long, straight ramp, you will like it for the ability to easily go straight back.

• Like 2

I'll echo the comments on the 3.5 eco boost engine.  I've had them since they came out in 2011 and they keep getting better.  The last 2 I've had, and the current one, all have the trailer back up assist, but like @PnwriderI've never set it up because I've never needed it.  

They're great trucks, the pull very well, and when unloaded they get decent fuel economy.  Towing fuel economy isn't good at all.  I was getting ~9 pulling my '17 22 VLX.  Not sure it will be much different with the LSV, but we'll see.  The trailering features are super nice, too.  Particularly if you have electric trailer brakes.  You can name the trailers, set the length, and set the gain on the brake controller for each specific trailer.  I have 3 that I pull, and have a profile for each.  

I have a 2019 Expedition MAX with the 3.5 and the backup assist. The 3.5 is impressive. It gets better mpg solo than the 6.2 mph had before. And slightly worse towing. I could go deeper into MPG but that isn’t what you asked about. 

In regard to the backup trailer assist, no way would I let that play any role in a decision to buy the truck. I’ve set it up on both my Ranger fishing boat as well as my Malibu. Not because I need it but because I wanted to try it. Thought it would be nice to have in case I take a customer in the fishing boat and want help trailering the boat. 

First, I’ve found that, at least on my boats. It won’t consistently pick up either trailer. Meaning it doesn’t recognize them and doesn’t work. That is probably the case more than 50% of the time. The sticker on the trailer I believe has to be in light, and the trailer has to be pretty straight behind the truck. Maybe it would work better if I had more patience. Maybe not. 

When it does recognize the trailer, it works best backing up mostly straight. For example I tried using it to turn from my street and back 90* up into my drive way and I couldn’t get it to turn sharp enough. Once I backed the boat into the drive way, it is a mostly straight shot into the garage, and it worked ok (I guess) for most of that. I’ll admit I chickened out at the end as I like the boat close to the garage wall and I trust myself much more to manually get it in the right spot than the knob. 

So, in short, I think you would be better off spending a bit of time practicing with your wife backing up the old fashioned way than to try to rely just on that system. Good idea in theory but I really don’t think the execution is there yet. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Kojak said:

So you guys convinced me.  I cancelled the deal on the 5.0 and am now looking for a 3.5L Ecoboost.  

Wish I had gone with my original title for this thread, Spend My Money - F-150 Edition:biggrin:

It's not too late to change the title. 

5 minutes ago, justgary said:

Please elaborate....

He had an issue that when he parked on a downward slope, the truck wouldn't start.  Somehow fuel wasn't getting to the pick up for the pump and wouldn't get to the engine to start it.  Super strange. 

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

I agree, however the 3.5 is a better rig for towing heavier loads, IMO.

i do have the smallest boat in the tower fleet for malibu/axis

03/02/2021  

Ford Motor Company

Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program issued

Program #21B10 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM

FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE

Locate an authorized Ford or Lincoln dealer or call 866-436-7332 to obtain more information

Check carfax, something I would discuss with dealer

Edited by 06malibu
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, 06malibu said:

03/02/2021  

Ford Motor Company

Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program issued

Program #21B10 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM

FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE

Locate an authorized Ford or Lincoln dealer or call 866-436-7332 to obtain more information

Check carfax, something I would discuss with dealer

Will do, thanks!

Not sure where you're located in Ks, but look at Zeck Fords website. They have alot of lariat eco f150s. I know they buy a lot of their vehicles from auctions but just do your DD. They have a dealer in KC (Leavenworth) and Purcell Ok

FWIW, I also test drove the eco 3.5 and V8 back to back (back in 2012).    I surprised myself and went with the Ecoboost as well and never once regretted it.  The low RPM torque was impressive, like a mid-90s diesel really (I just don't compare them to a modern diesel given the insane torque numbers now being made by them).    My dad is still driving that truck today.    Great performer all-around.