Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge cleaner

I am doing some tune up work on the boat this weekend. Last time I looked down in the bottom of the bilge it was pretty grungy. It’s not dirt, but a general blackish funk layer.

The boat is a 2006 so it’s probably just never been cleaned.

Other than soap and water, has anyone used a cleaner that really gets the bilge clean?

Thanks!

There's probably a thousand ways to clean it, but a good tip for after you get it mostly clean is to put a little detergent or biodegradable bilge cleaner left in there with some water (or not, if your boat leaks a little.) It's a great way to let the natural motion of the boat clean the bilge during a weekend of boating.  If you're moored then you can soak it up with a sponge and put into a garbage bag and dispose of properly, but please don't dump it into the waterway. 

• Like 1

as mentioned above, I always get some dish soap and pour a bunch in there before the day starts for an auto cleaning.  If you are going to use chemicals to scrub it out and get a head start, go to the Dollar General store and look for LA's Totally Awesome cleaner.  It's CHEAP and will do the same magic as your other fantastic/degreasers or whatever your choice is to clean grime

LA.jpeg.c5e25f3b84225da51eff05303bafe33a.jpeg

• Like 3

I use Mean Green.  It started as an industrial degreasing agent and is now available as a household version. I do like Totally Awesome if grease is not involved.

Edited by electricjohn
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will roll with one of these suggestions and post the feedback here when done.