Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WAKESETTER 23 LSV - Changes by year?

scotchipman

What years were the big changes made to the Wakesetter 23 LSV? I'm a slalom skier and not as familiar with the wake/surf boats. My family is looking to buy a used one in the $125K range to be used mainly at Lake Powell. For a 23' wake/surf boat is the 23LSV the best Malibu to look at or is there something else?

Edited by scotchipman

The big changes

2004-2007

2008-2017   (lots of small changes to the hull over the years, especially the top deck.)

2018-2020

2021 - current

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, gregtay said:

The big changes

20??-2007

2008-2017   (lots of small changes to the hull over the years, especially the top deck.)

2018-2020

2021 - current

Thanks! Do you agree the 23LSV is Malibu's best all around 23' boat or should I be looking at something else?

2 hours ago, scotchipman said:

Thanks! Do you agree the 23LSV is Malibu's best all around 23' boat or should I be looking at something else?

Being that this is a Malibu forum pretty much everyone is going to say either the 23LSV or the 23MLX is the best 23' footer:).  But yes... I do think that as well.  I had a 2008 and loved it, upgraded to a 2019.  For Powell you will want a boat with a motor upgrade (ie: M6.)  In the pre covid days you could get a nice new 23LSV for $125k... these days I am not sure what $125k buys you :-S

• Like 1

Pretty good thread there, especially on later years which is probably what you are looking at.  The 23LSV is a great all around boat.  

Also, I think @gregtay meant 23MXZ, not MLX.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

Pretty good thread there, especially on later years which is probably what you are looking at.  The 23LSV is a great all around boat.  

Also, I think @gregtay meant 23MXZ, not MLX.  

opps.  yes.. been a very long day:)

@scotchipman Hey Scot, I'm just up the road from you in Idaho and tournament slalom skier. I use to see your posts a lot on BOS. The summer before last I added a LSV 23 so we could get the family together and their friends. They didn't all get as excited as I did about chasing buoys. So, I added the LSV and kept my Ski Nautique.

I looked pretty hard at which 23 foot boat would throw a good surf wake. It was like swimming in a sea of letters and numbers. I was never a Malibu guy and looked at the G series in the Nautiques, Supras, and Mastercrafts. I kept coming back to the Malibu because of its wake adjustability and friendliness(ie you can dial it down for kids). I think anything 2018 or newer would meet your needs. I have a friend with a 16 and it surfs just as nice. We looked at both the traditional bow LSV and the pickle fork MXZ and just couldn't get over the aesthetics of the pickle so went with LSV. That being said the bow is a great place for kids and adults and the wider bow makes it more comfortable. That's the one mental shift I had to make in looking at boats coming from a waterskiing background, the bow IS your friend and it's ok to have people in it, unlike with ski boats.

I would think that you could pick up a 19 or possibly a 20(if you can find one) if you're in the 125K range. I just sold my 19 with 100 hours on it for about $107,000. I'm sure I could have gotten more but I have an M240 coming in and I didn't want to worry about getting the boat sold. Definitely get the 450(non-Malibu motor) or the Di6(Malibu Motor that's equivalent to the 450). I will say at our elevation and higher you need the big motor, when we were in Island park (6,700 MSL) it would struggle to maintain speed if we had full ballast, Wedge setting a three,  and a big crew. Bow weight becomes your friend in order to get the boat to plane and hold speed. If I were to go back in time I would tell myself to find a supercharged engine. They run so much quieter, can handle any size crew, and elevation doesn't impact it as much. The M240 comes with one and the demo I was in absolutely blew my mind what a game changer that engine made.

If you end up purchasing one and need tips on setting up a decent surf wave send me a message. Good luck.

PS are you still out at Still Water? Maybe we could trade boat setup tips for a set or two on the lake.... ;)

Edited by qbeam

Thanks @qbeam for the great insight. Besides the supercharged engine and more room in the M240 does it also have a better surf wake? 

I will report back with what my family ends up buying and let you know if we need any help setting up a decent surf wake. 

I am still a owner at Still Water lake Estates which I love, for sure look me up when you are in town. 

9 minutes ago, scotchipman said:

Thanks @qbeam for the great insight. Besides the supercharged engine and more room in the M240 does it also have a better surf wake? 

The surf wave in the 240 is the best i have ever riden. Its long and tall and the push is crazy, right out of the box. It took literally no effort to get a massive surf wave from it. If the 240 fits your budget, you will not be disappointed.

@scotchipman

Scot,

The wave is mind blowing. Don't get me wrong the 23 LSV has a great wave. The biggest issue I had with the wave was consistency. One day it was huge and another not so much. With the 240(the one I demo'd) the wave is consistent and doesn't need very much tweaking. Think about waves in terms of your skiing, some days you just kill it on the course and others you can barely run an opener. Was it fin settings, water temp, wind, lake depth....etc. There are a ton of variables that affect your skiing, well it's the same with waves, whether its depth of the lake, number of people in the boat, where are they sitting, speed, wedge setting, etc they all have an impact. With the 240 it seem to me that all the factors were consistent and you didn't have variability from day to day. You're more than welcome to give me a call if you want a better description Just message me and I'll send you my number.

Quinn