Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Unresponsive Stereo - Help

GWalter

Just got my 2016 23 LSV back from the dealer after having it summerized.  Everything worked fine going into winter but now the Stereo on the Maliview is unresponsive.  The Select and Display buttons light up when you touch them but the system is unresponsive.  The lights on the amps aren't lit up either.  Despite this, I can turn the stereo on with the transom control but the Maliview control still wont work.  

What is their summerizing procedure? Where the batteries disconnected for winter, then reconnected? If so, look for a rogue cable that fell to the side and did not get reconnected. 

The dealer disconnected the batteries for winter and them connected them during summarization. I wasn't able to find anything out of place.  It is really weird because you can turn the stereo on with the transom remote and everything works; however, the Maliview Stereo page still doesn't respond. Everything seems fine on the Maliview except the stereo function which only responds to touch by lighting the buttons up but nothing actually happens. 

On my 16, the Rockford Fosgate black box did this once. The remote could turn on the stereo and turn it off. The helm however lost that ability.  As I recall I could hit the power button on the screen but the black box ignored it.

After much debug the dealer gave me a replacement black box. That fixed it. The original one never worked for them again except via transom remote. 

EDIT: wait! I take it back. I had to replace the helm computer. That’s the right side screen. I remember now that the dealer let me borrow a black box they kept for diagnosis and that had the same problem. So I tried a replacement screen next. That was the fix.  I went through a lot of screens on that boat. 

Edited by Slurpee
9 hours ago, Slurpee said:

On my 16, the Rockford Fosgate black box did this once. The remote could turn on the stereo and turn it off. The helm however lost that ability.  As I recall I could hit the power button on the screen but the black box ignored it.

After much debug the dealer gave me a replacement black box. That fixed it. The original one never worked for them again except via transom remote. 

EDIT: wait! I take it back. I had to replace the helm computer. That’s the right side screen. I remember now that the dealer let me borrow a black box they kept for diagnosis and that had the same problem. So I tried a replacement screen next. That was the fix.  I went through a lot of screens on that boat. 

I really hope the screen isn't bad. Not under warranty and I am sure its not cheap. 

49 minutes ago, GWalter said:

I really hope the screen isn't bad. Not under warranty and I am sure its not cheap. 

I'll pray for you.  I probably own the record on replacements.  I was at 6 when I traded in for a '19.  Here's what you do. 

1)  Get under your dash and pull out every connector on the computer that is rectangular in shape.  No need to worry about the Ethernet looking cables and stuff.  Plug them back in.  Rinse Wash Repeat a few times.  Any corrosion on the leads will probably scrape clean from the insertions and you might get a good circuit again.  One of those cables talks to the black box.  See if that fixes anything.

2) Go do the same thing to all of the connectors on the Medusa's head from the black box.  It's - I believe - one of the circular connectors on the black box that goes to the computer.  But it doesn't hurt to run those non-water-tight connectors through a few insertion cycles to scrape any corrosion clear or reseat them.  See if that fixes anything.

3) Get with your dealer and see if you can get a spare black box and a spare computer on loan.  First thing you do is try a different black box.  See if anything changes.  Second thing you do is try the computer with the old black box.  See if anything changes.  Then try both.  And see if anything changes.  Thermal cycles and vibration can make all sort of connectors not meant for that environment misbehave.  And too many of the connectors in a 2016 are not really meant for a marine environment.

4) You might get lucky and also compare the software versions on the computers.  A software update might possible take care of things as well if the new computer works, but your old one doesn't.

Edited by Slurpee

Quick update - problem resolved.  The dealer remounted the amp board during summarization and one of the cables (TO RFX-MR5BB TO RCM) came out. I reconnected it and it it works fine now.  Appreciate all the help from everyone.