Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New ski recommendations

06malibu

I am wanting to get a little more serious into slalom. I am looking for recommendations on a ski for myself. As of now I usually ski an older ho that is too small (dont remember model). I freeski around 26mph, dont run the course but I would like to eventually. I have been skiing/wakeboarding/barefooting for years, I would like to purchase something I can progress into, but don't want to buy "too much" of a ski. Local shops carry HO and Radar mainly I believe and I would like to ski before I buy but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have your favorite ski / pro shop?  If yes, I strongly suggest doing a demo format where you can try several models and then choose your favorite.  You might also want to hit up any of the ski brand reps and get their take on which model would best suit you current and future needs.  You can search this site for ski suggestions, you will note a convergence on a few that meet your description.  Also, the ball of spray website is a good source.  Personally, I find ski selection a very personal thing, so many variables enter the selection matrix that choosing for others is very difficult.  Advice should get your quiver matrix whittled down to a reasonable size.  Don't forget that bindings are also a significant parameter when choosing.

3 hours ago, Slayer said:

I'd look at a Radar Senate or an HO Omni.  They are crossover type skis.  

I’d agree these are good crossover skis if you are transitioning from a combo slalom or an old competition ski. I had the HO CX (predecessor of the Omni) and now have the Radar Senate. They are both great!

Their websites will have sizing info.

1 minute ago, braindamage said:

I’d agree these are good crossover skis if you are transitioning from a combo slalom or an old competition ski. I had the HO CX (predecessor of the Omni) and now have the Radar Senate. They are both great!

I had a CX before moving to the V-Type R.  Considering a replacement for that.

Depending on the model year the Senate is basically a slightly wider version of the Vapor, and, like the Vapor, comes in different trim levels.  Overall its a very solid ski.  Folks run into deep shortline on Senates.  My buddy progressed from not running the course at any speed and line length to running 32 off 34 mph on one.   

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3

What amazes me about the senate is how quickly I felt comfortable. I was able to ski the same buoys/speed the first set when I moved from my CX. Stock fin settings. 

• Like 2

I would also recommend the senate. Like @braindamage said it was amazingly comfortable right out of the box, on the first set it just felt good.

I ran my senate for years, until it just got worn out. Then upgraded to a vapor.

Another vote for the Senate.  I came from a Vapor, which was outstanding but had a pretty narrow performance envelope.  The Senate on the other hand forgives mistakes more than any other ski I've ridden.

3 minutes ago, 06malibu said:

Whats the main differences in the different "levels" alloy, graphite, lithium. What are you gaining in each step?

My understanding is that the differentiation there is the materials used in the ski layup.  Alloy, graphite, and lithium ranging from heaviest ski to lightest ski.  I'm not sure how that effects the flex under load when skiing, but I would think the material composition would have an impact there. 

My understanding and experience has been the levels relate to responsiveness of the ski as well.  The alloy is a little more dampened than the graphite.  The graphite a little less snappy than the lithium.  

Really depends on how you ski it,

open water and learning into the course  - alloy

some course and some open water - graphite

course with a little more speed - lithium

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, 06malibu said:

Well im headed down in a couple week to get my folks boat ready and the shop has left over senate graphite. If the still have it ill take it out

https://williamsskiandsports.com/collections/ski-closeouts/products/radar-graphite-senate-waterski-with-vector-boa-binding-boa-artp-2020

I was looking for awhile before I bought a ski.  That is a good deal if it is your size.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I was looking for awhile before I bought a ski.  That is a good deal if it is your size.

I’m 5’10” 165 so from their fitting I should be on a 67

I have a 2016 Senate Alloy and absolutely love it.  I came from an older Duval and honestly the Senate is so much better in so many ways.  Even the alloy version is way lighter than any older ski.

Edited by solorex
3 hours ago, 06malibu said:

Well im headed down in a couple week to get my folks boat ready and the shop has left over senate graphite. If the still have it ill take it out

https://williamsskiandsports.com/collections/ski-closeouts/products/radar-graphite-senate-waterski-with-vector-boa-binding-boa-artp-2020

you might want to call them and get it bought, have them hold it or something, given the issues finding stuff this spring, I wouldn't wait and hope.  Better to buy and return, if needed.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 3:27 PM, braindamage said:

How was the HO CX as a freeride ski in open water?  I'm looking to upgrade my 2007 Connelly F1 to something a little less taxing on the body but still fun and agressive.  Don't ski course, but still like to cut hard

1 hour ago, mamaskier said:

How was the HO CX as a freeride ski in open water?  I'm looking to upgrade my 2007 Connelly F1 to something a little less taxing on the body but still fun and agressive.  Don't ski course, but still like to cut hard

It was advertised as 50% less effort and it delivered! Easy to ski, held a nice edge. It’s fast and perfect for open water.

• 2 months later...

Reviving/closing thread

Found a radar P6 67” from a family member at a good price. Been skiing it when I can. Wife and I are moving to table rock soon so been very busy.