Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dock Wheels on Lift Arms?

krogg

I'm the new owner of a 2014 VTX, and the previous owner took fantastic care of it.  I'm looking for a solution to keep the hull in good shape as my previous boat has a couple long scratches from the corner of the boat lift.   Mine has an "arm" on either side of the lift, which is a piece of angle iron topped by a 2 x 4 covered in marine carpet.  If the 2 x 4 comes loose, the angle iron does a lot of damage.  Does anyone have experience installing dock wheels on a lift (rather than the dock itself)?  Any other ideas?  btw, I know that if I diligently check the 2 x 4 each and every time I take the boat out, I won't have a problem.  I've lived long enough, however, to question my perfection.

11 minutes ago, krogg said:

I'm the new owner of a 2014 VTX, and the previous owner took fantastic care of it.  I'm looking for a solution to keep the hull in good shape as my previous boat has a couple long scratches from the corner of the boat lift.   Mine has an "arm" on either side of the lift, which is a piece of angle iron topped by a 2 x 4 covered in marine carpet.  If the 2 x 4 comes loose, the angle iron does a lot of damage.  Does anyone have experience installing dock wheels on a lift (rather than the dock itself)?  Any other ideas?  btw, I know that if I diligently check the 2 x 4 each and every time I take the boat out, I won't have a problem.  I've lived long enough, however, to question my perfection.

I've had the same "arm" that you describe on either side for 15 years, and have never had an issue with them coming off.  And we've bounced that boat into position pretty hard, accidentally, in the dark and in nasty crosswinds.  The one change that I need to make is to add some padding to the end that faces the lake, we wore the carpet off that pretty quickly.  That spot should be reinforced, or maybe that's where you mount the wheel, one on each side?

2014 Wakesetter VTX

On 4/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, oldjeep said:

Why does the 2x4 come loose?  What holds it on?

There are lag bolts screwed into bottom of the 2 x 4 through the angle iron forming the arm.  If/when the wood softens, the bolts can pull loose.

4 minutes ago, krogg said:

2014 Wakesetter VTX

There are lag bolts screwed into bottom of the 2 x 4 through the angle iron forming the arm.  If/when the wood softens, the bolts can pull loose.

Time for some carriage bolts and nylocks.