Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is the normal Oil pressure operating range in a 2000 VLX

Kinda depends on a few things. Cold at idle around 40 psi. Wide open throttle may be upwards of 70. Hot oil after running hard, back to idle may be very low, like around 10 psi., but just touching the throttle past idle will come right back up.

Steve B.

Per the dash gauge mine is all over the place sometimes about middle of the gauge and other times high not sure if its even reading correct. I assume as long as there is pressure it is OK.

I have a 2001 VLX, 900+hrs, run QuakerState high-mileage oil.   Ive replaced (1) oil sensor due to leaks at the sensor, and every time that was preceded by oil guage readings going "random".   That said, early on in the season my idle oil pressure/~10psi, but as the summer progresses i start seeing idle/5psi occasionally, and a tap of the throttle brings it back up.  About end-july when I see idle/5psi regularly I do a in-water oil change, and I'm back at 10psi again.    Its probably overkill, but i figure since oil is the life-blood of the motor, it seems like 'short money'.   

@Garry - your oil pressure drop may be due to some fuel dilution over time.  Might have a slight injector leak if FI.  Keep track of level to see if it increases as the season wears on.  Could also simply be blow by contaminants.  You might also search this site for some comments on erratic oil pressure gauges as some members have noted.

Edited by Woodski
On 4/15/2021 at 1:30 PM, Garry said:

I have a 2001 VLX, 900+hrs, run QuakerState high-mileage oil.   Ive replaced (1) oil sensor due to leaks at the sensor, and every time that was preceded by oil guage readings going "random".   That said, early on in the season my idle oil pressure/~10psi, but as the summer progresses i start seeing idle/5psi occasionally, and a tap of the throttle brings it back up.  About end-july when I see idle/5psi regularly I do a in-water oil change, and I'm back at 10psi again.    Its probably overkill, but i figure since oil is the life-blood of the motor, it seems like 'short money'.   

How many miles on that hi-mileage VLX?:lol: Do a used oil analysis after your oil change. That can tell you a lot. Blackstone labs.com. Told me I was wasting time. Now every two years OCI's. 800hrs.

Edited by electricjohn
  • 2 years later...
On 4/17/2021 at 10:03 PM, electricjohn said:

How many miles on that hi-mileage VLX?:lol: Do a used oil analysis after your oil change. That can tell you a lot. Blackstone labs.com. Told me I was wasting time. Now every two years OCI's. 800hrs.

it just turned 1200hours (im the original owner).  have never done oil analysis but that is an interesting idea.