Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Malibu vRide

I have a 2006 Malibu vRide.  I have had an issue in the past 2 summers of the boat not wanting to start after it gets hot. It happens on very hot days. It will start great and run perfect until I stop to take a break. If I try to start the boat, it will hit for a second or two and then cut off. It will turn over, but not start until it cools down. I have to raise the hood and wait for it to cool down for approx 20-30 minutes. When this happens, I have checked the fuel pressure on the fuel rail and it has great pressure. I am not a mechanic, but I feel like it might be an electrical issue and not a fuel issue. Has anyone ever experienced a problem like this? Thank you for any help. 

5 hours ago, MikeKeenan said:

I have a 2006 Malibu vRide.  I have had an issue in the past 2 summers of the boat not wanting to start after it gets hot. It happens on very hot days. It will start great and run perfect until I stop to take a break. If I try to start the boat, it will hit for a second or two and then cut off. It will turn over, but not start until it cools down. I have to raise the hood and wait for it to cool down for approx 20-30 minutes. When this happens, I have checked the fuel pressure on the fuel rail and it has great pressure. I am not a mechanic, but I feel like it might be an electrical issue and not a fuel issue. Has anyone ever experienced a problem like this? Thank you for any help. 

Sounds a lot like vapor lock, but if the rail pressure looks good during these events then the next thing I would look at would be the coil.  They are known to soft fail with heat soak.  Not sure which version you have, but if it's like mine they are pretty cheap and very easy to replace, and since they do weaken with age so I'd swap it out to eliminate it as a possible culprit.

My experience a bunch of years ago with a very similar issue with a 2006 vride:

Agree with @formulaben -- start with maintenance if you haven't done it -- cap / rotor / plugs / wires.  And on a 15 year old boat might as well do the coil too (though I don't think that the HVS style coils go bad quite as often as the pre-06 boats).  I'd also make sure your batteries are good and that your battery connections are clean and tight, both at the batteries, and at the starter (pos.) and block (neg).

Once you've done all that stuff (which won't hurt ought to be done if you aren't sure when the last time was) and if it's still happening... then run through the steps in the linked thread.