Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Squirrel!!

braindamage

On 4/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, braindamage said:

Picked her up from the detailer yesterday. Still smelled like squirrel. Instead of taking her to the launch as planned, I met my best ski buddy at my house. We decided to soak her in vinegar/water 50/50 mix (8gal and I could’ve used more). We were in the process of that when we discovered the nest under the muffler access panel.

I’m so glad we decided to not launch. This would’ve been at least a fire, most likely an explosion as it’s right under the gas tank and next to fuel lines, and injuries/death might’ve been in the cards.

she smells better after soaking overnight. I’ll hose her down and hopefully launch today.

9B1AF591-97F2-43A3-ABC3-7C2A6C3FAAA6.jpeg

Well, you should probably grease that rudder zirk, cuz that definitely wasn't done.

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

completely eliminate all squirrels from your property.

I'm convinced that this can't be done.  After all, they breed like rodents.  You can put a slight dent in the local population for a little while, but others will flood in to fill the void.

High impact lead poisoning is the best method I know of to do the job quickly (and a head shot doesn't spoil the meat for that Brunswick Stew).

29 minutes ago, justgary said:

I'm convinced that this can't be done.  After all, they breed like rodents.  You can put a slight dent in the local population for a little while, but others will flood in to fill the void.

High impact lead poisoning is the best method I know of to do the job quickly (and a head shot doesn't spoil the meat for that Brunswick Stew).

depends on your acumen with a BB gun and how much time you have to hunt.  When we were kids, my brother and I cleared about a half mile swath of our heavily wooded shoreline of all red squirrels and chipmunks with our Crossman BB guns.  Took until I was in high school to start seeing them frequently again.

If we weren't on the water, snowmobiling, or stacking/cutting wood, we were shooting varmints or plinking aluminum cans. :)

4 hours ago, braindamage said:

I’m not that much of a humanitarian. 

You know they just keep coming one after the other. Endless cycle. That's why I turned it into a game. Squirrels in my town with all different colored tails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, YeloBlammo said:

Get an outdoor cat?:dontknow:

He'll eventually catch one in the trap, and a possum, and a raccoon, then a skunk. Been there, done that.

10 hours ago, electricjohn said:

He'll eventually catch one in the trap, and a possum, and a raccoon, then a skunk. Been there, done that.

The less critters that can negatively impact my life the better from my perspective. I’ll just drown whatever gets in the trap and move on.

2 hours ago, braindamage said:

The less critters that can negatively impact my life the better from my perspective. I’ll just drown whatever gets in the trap and move on.

Heh heh heh.  Said the man that hasn't caught a skunk in a trap. :crazy:

• Haha 3
16 hours ago, UWSkier said:

plinking aluminum cans. :)

It was always such a satisfying feeling when you caught the upper rigid rim of the can and sent that thing spinning.

9 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

It was always such a satisfying feeling when you caught the upper rigid rim of the can and sent that thing spinning.

I'd always lay the can with the mouth facing me and challenge my brother to see who could put one down the open mouth of the can first... because I could always beat him at that.  :)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, justgary said:

Heh heh heh.  Said the man that hasn't caught a skunk in a trap. :crazy:

I’ve caught skunks and drown them before. Just not at this house. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

I'd always lay the can with the mouth facing me and challenge my brother to see who could put one down the open mouth of the can first... because I could always beat him at that.  :)

I used to load a primer in an empty shotgun shell and throw it out in the yard and challenge my brother.  You had to hit it and spin it to get it to show the primer to you before you could win by hitting the primer.  No question about the winner when you get a good pop on a hit!

• Like 2