Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Squirrel!!

braindamage

I was out on the tritoon yesterday and my son yelled SQUIRREL and I turned around only to have him run across my arm and down the side .. it fell in the water and I did what anyone would have done .. floored it and left it swimming.  Apparently it has a nest under my center tune and didn't enjoy the ride as much as we did.  I have no idea how to clean it out as the bottom of my toon is skinned.  I need to come up with a creative solution b/c my toon lives there year around.  Definitely going to start thinning the herd.  Actually if there is a nest under there then momma is about 3 miles away and I have likely put a dent in next years cycle.

Thankfully the new boat isn't on the other lift yet #brightside 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, justgary said:

I use these when the squirrels start picking peaches and leaving them on the ground.  I have an old Savage .22 bolt single shot that handles them quite nicely, and the sound is roughly like clapping your hands together.  Just wait until the little bugger has a tree behind him so nothing leaves the yard.  And as I have mentioned before, I have a great Brunswick Stew recipe that calls for five squirrels.

Those are great rounds in my bolt action.  Quieter than some high power pellet guns.

I always placed mouse traps, and a hav-a-hart trap outside of my boat during winter storage. Just have to check the trap every day or two.

3 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

After this I’d be looking for a different place to store it, maybe inside! 

Definitely. I called 2 storage places in town. No spots available. I’m on their wait list.

I store mine in a pole barn up in Rosendale. Nothing fancy but it’s dry and no rodent issues. He puts out traps and bait once it’s closed up.  He might have a open spot next year if you are interested. 

9 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

I store mine in a pole barn up in Rosendale. Nothing fancy but it’s dry and no rodent issues. He puts out traps and bait once it’s closed up.  He might have a open spot next year if you are interested. 

PM me the info. I like being able to get at my boat when I want, though. I’ve heard of people who have to wait for other boats to get picked up before they can get yours out.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, electricjohn said:

I always placed mouse traps, and a hav-a-hart trap outside of my boat during winter storage. Just have to check the trap every day or two.

I have poison traps everywhere 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked her up from the detailer yesterday. Still smelled like squirrel. Instead of taking her to the launch as planned, I met my best ski buddy at my house. We decided to soak her in vinegar/water 50/50 mix (8gal and I could’ve used more). We were in the process of that when we discovered the nest under the muffler access panel.

I’m so glad we decided to not launch. This would’ve been at least a fire, most likely an explosion as it’s right under the gas tank and next to fuel lines, and injuries/death might’ve been in the cards.

she smells better after soaking overnight. I’ll hose her down and hopefully launch today.

9B1AF591-97F2-43A3-ABC3-7C2A6C3FAAA6.jpeg

• Like 1

A couple of critters took residence in the neighbors MC 197 a few years back.  To them, the fuel tank seemed like a tasty treat!  Spring uncovering unveiled the top corner of the tank chewed off and a pretty nasty urine, chemical mix odor.  Appears the elixir candy was a short lived treat...hope they enjoyed the final meal. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, braindamage said:

Picked her up from the detailer yesterday. Still smelled like squirrel. Instead of taking her to the launch as planned, I met my best ski buddy at my house. We decided to soak her in vinegar/water 50/50 mix (8gal and I could’ve used more). We were in the process of that when we discovered the nest under the muffler access panel.

I’m so glad we decided to not launch. This would’ve been at least a fire, most likely an explosion as it’s right under the gas tank and next to fuel lines, and injuries/death might’ve been in the cards.

she smells better after soaking overnight. I’ll hose her down and hopefully launch today.

9B1AF591-97F2-43A3-ABC3-7C2A6C3FAAA6.jpeg

It's official... That squirrel must die... 

My boat used to spend winters in a covered shelter that was not animal proof.  One year I had a mouse fall out of the cover and run off when removing it in the spring.  From then on I always wrapped the boat over the cover with pallet shrink wrap....would just go around where cover meets hull and also wrap around where tower meets cover.  I never had any issues after that.  Shrink wrap I got from Harbor Freight.  I still use it when i am towing with the cover...wrap the boat where the cover sits first and then put the cover on to prevent any hull marring or rubbing.

I use big plastic rat traps (like big mouse traps) and peanut butter - or 22 bird shot.  Never caught anything or had any boat damage but have found some eaten acorns.

Now outside I trap about 100 chipmunks a year.  They dig like crazy!

Launched. No leaks, and ran like a champ. As I sped away a walnut shell fell down at my feet and rolled to the back. I figure I’ll be finding stuff like that for a while. We’ll see if there is more collateral damage.

the vinegar/water seems to be abating the smell. I hosed her down twice before launching. There’s is just a slight whiff of it behind the spotter seat so I may have to remove the amp mounting board as there may be squirrel yuck behind it.

In hindsight I should’ve made an insurance claim. I have a high deductible but probably would’ve gotten new carpet throughout.

11 hours ago, UWSkier said:

It's official... That squirrel must die... 

I plan to get a live trap. I put the nesting in a bucket and it smelled bad so I left it outside. Guess who jumped out of it when I went out this morning? Oh yeah...the plan is to get a trap, line it with the nesting and put peanut butter on the actuator. I really look forward to drowning that SOB.

3 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I plan to get a live trap. I put the nesting in a bucket and it smelled bad so I left it outside. Guess who jumped out of it when I went out this morning? Oh yeah...the plan is to get a trap, line it with the nesting and put peanut butter on the actuator. I really look forward to drowning that SOB.

If you plan to drown it, why get a live trap?  The Tom Cat brand plastic traps with teeth on them would work on squirrels, I imagine.  I usually stuff a walnut in the bait holder, and the rats come running.  I'm about to have to protect peaches and plums from squirrels, so I'll test a trap on them.

My wife puts dryer sheets in our boat to keep the rodents out, and it seems to work.  Give that a try next time.

1 minute ago, justgary said:

If you plan to drown it, why get a live trap?  The Tom Cat brand plastic traps with teeth on them would work on squirrels, I imagine.  I usually stuff a walnut in the bait holder, and the rats come running.  I'm about to have to protect peaches and plums from squirrels, so I'll test a trap on them.

My wife puts dryer sheets in our boat to keep the rodents out, and it seems to work.  Give that a try next time.

https://www.amazon.ca/Duke-110-Conibear-Trap/dp/B003DQW09M  These things work!  (I was going to make some crack about the dryer sheets keeping YOU out but.. LOL)

3 hours ago, braindamage said:

Launched. No leaks, and ran like a champ. As I sped away a walnut shell fell down at my feet and rolled to the back. I figure I’ll be finding stuff like that for a while. We’ll see if there is more collateral damage.

the vinegar/water seems to be abating the smell. I hosed her down twice before launching. There’s is just a slight whiff of it behind the spotter seat so I may have to remove the amp mounting board as there may be squirrel yuck behind it.

In hindsight I should’ve made an insurance claim. I have a high deductible but probably would’ve gotten new carpet throughout.

Hydrogen peroxide for the smell, and it will sterilize it too....

16 hours ago, braindamage said:

Spray paint it's tail safety orange, and take it for a 5 mile ride, then see if it comes back. I never (out of 100's) caught a squirrel with a colored tail, only released them.

On 4/12/2021 at 7:17 AM, justgary said:

I use these when the squirrels start picking peaches and leaving them on the ground.  I have an old Savage .22 bolt single shot that handles them quite nicely, and the sound is roughly like clapping your hands together.  Just wait until the little bugger has a tree behind him so nothing leaves the yard.  And as I have mentioned before, I have a great Brunswick Stew recipe that calls for five squirrels.

spacer.png

I got some of those once.  It may have been a different brand, but after firing it once in the backyard, I thought it sounded like I had just detonated a stick of dynamite.  I ran in the house and put the gun away and hoped the neighbors did not call the police.  This was a few years ago, when I had miles behind me, but neighbors on both sides.  I did not dare fire any more.  Maybe I was overreacting, but it was definitely not the quiet little clap I was expecting.  It may have been the rifle, or the acoustics of my backyard, but the 1200 FPS pellet gun came out after that.  It does pretty good.  

59 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

Spray paint it's tail safety orange, and take it for a 5 mile ride, then see if it comes back. I never (out of 100's) caught a squirrel with a colored tail, only released them.

I’m not that much of a humanitarian. 

I think you need to completely eliminate all squirrels from your property.  

On a brighter note, I'm happy to hear that nothing was damaged...no wiring or plumbing damage.  That's a best case scenario for you, given the infestation.  

• Like 1