Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lift for Slalom Ditch

jjackkrash

I have been allowed one space for a dock and lift on a slalom ditch (there is not dock in my spot currently).  It also acts as a staging area between sets when there are more than two boats so I would prefer the lift move fast.  The bottom is clay.  I have never bought a lift before.  I was looking around and the hydraulic lifts that sit on the ground look like what I want but I am open.  I have equipment like a mini ex and skid steer with forks, etc., to unload and move into place and trailers to transport, but I also don't mid paying for an install if there is something tricky about installing a lift.   Some of the others have the wheel that spins but this looks a little slow to me.    Any thoughts?  Do I get the lift first and build the dock around it?  Please feel free to dump any advice you can think of.  We are in pac NW so sun is spotty for solar.  I think there is power access and I also have plenty of generators to recharge batteries if that's an issue.  I am checking on the power situation this weekend.  

IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4356.jpeg

IMG_4355.jpeg

Note that anything I get will have a cover and I also don't plan on storing on the lift when I am not at the property.  Also, I have seen advice on get a big lift for potential upgrade, but the CCRs don't allow more than 21 foot inboards and I am never, ever, ever, ever going to have anything other than a 3-event direct drive boat on this lake.  

Edited by jjackkrash

Storing on the lift while not on the property isn't an issue unless you're concerned about vandalism.  Hydraulic lifts are awesome, but an electric cable lift is also just as good.  IF you have a clay bottom with little potential for settlement, a hydraulic cantilever lift may be your most cost effective option, but I prefer vertical lifts.  

I have 5k ShoreStation hydraulic lift. I think that is as fast of a lift that you can get. Brand new I would guess you would be around 13-15k for that with the top and solar power with batteries.

If you are not planning to store it there I’d just put in a dock and some premeasured lines to hold the boat in the center of the dock. Why spend the $$ and time with the lift?

• Like 2
On 4/10/2021 at 6:38 AM, jjackkrash said:

Note that anything I get will have a cover and I also don't plan on storing on the lift when I am not at the property.  Also, I have seen advice on get a big lift for potential upgrade, but the CCRs don't allow more than 21 foot inboards and I am never, ever, ever, ever going to have anything other than a 3-event direct drive boat on this lake.  

FYI a lift with a canopy and no boat on it is easily trashed in high winds. Have seen this personally at a friend's house 20 years ago or so. Wind picked the lift right up and flipped it over the dock landing upside down. Damaged the dock also. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

FYI a lift with a canopy and no boat on it is easily trashed in high winds. Have seen this personally at a friend's house 20 years ago or so. Wind picked the lift right up and flipped it over the dock landing upside down. Damaged the dock also. 

Ugg.  I really want the boat out of the sun when I am at the lake but not using it. 

2 hours ago, braindamage said:

If you are not planning to store it there I’d just put in a dock and some premeasured lines to hold the boat in the center of the dock. Why spend the $$ and time with the lift?

I am pretty excited about a lift but this observation deserves some consideration.  We will spend days in a row there and I think a lift will be worth it to me but point well taken.  

If a canopy on a lift is a bad idea on the wind what about mounting the canopy directly to the dock? We’ve done this in the past with slips. Just get one of the 10x20 shelter logic tents with just the roof from Home Depot. 

Being that you have a super light boat I would watch for something used. Everyone seems to be upgrading to meet the needs of the larger boats and needing to get rid of the old lift. 

• Like 1

I talked to the Basta rep who said they can install a lift in the next two weeks if I want as they are already coming out to the lake on other business.  I'm looking at a 4.5k aluminum or 5k galvanized (both vertical/hydraulic lift) for about the same price (galvanized a bit more).  Apparently galvanized can go shallower if needed so I'm going to check on lake depth.   

I think I would go with the lift versus not.  If you are concerned about the canopy catching the wind, simply roll the fabric off and store it when you leave.  It takes about 20 minutes to remove or install, not a real big deal (usually, depending on the set up).

I've heard of there being problems with lifts that don't have a boat on them in high winds.  I've seen that addressed by installing screw in dock posts and tying the lift to them.  Not sure how well it works, but it's not entirely uncommon here.  One of the places I spoke with when I bought my hoist a few years ago said that they do that on all their lift installations.  

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like the lift got installed last week; I won't get to check it out until this weekend but I am pretty excited.

On a side note, the Basta rep wants between $6.5 and $7.5k for an aluminum frame canopy installed.  This seems really steep.   I was thinking maybe $1500 for the frame and another $1500 for the canvas.  But maybe my expectations are out of whack.  Any thoughts on this?  I am 100% certain I could frame in a roof and use suntuf poly roof panels with UV protection for a lot less than that.  

Edited by jjackkrash
1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

It sounds like the lift got installed last week; I won't get to check it out until this weekend but I am pretty excited.

On a side note, the Basta rep wants between $6.5 and $7.5k for an aluminum frame canopy installed.  This seems really steep.   In was thinking maybe $1500 for the frame and another $1500 for the canvas.  But maybe my expectations are out of whack.  Any thoughts on this?  I am 100% certain I could frame in a roof and use suntuf poly roof panels with UV protection for a lot less than that.  

Strikes me as a lot!  https://www.boatliftanddock.com/ is more like the picing you imagined.

11 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

On a side note, the Basta rep wants between $6.5 and $7.5k for an aluminum frame canopy installed.  This seems really steep.   I was thinking maybe $1500 for the frame and another $1500 for the canvas.  But maybe my expectations are out of whack.  Any thoughts on this?  I am 100% certain I could frame in a roof and use suntuf poly roof panels with UV protection for a lot less than that.  

Yea, that's kinda crazy.  My hoist has a 26' canopy on it and IIRC, the frame was 1800 and the fabric was about the same.  It was a couple of years ago.  

For my Response, I think I paid 1500 for the frame and 1500 for the fabric and that was for a 24' canopy.  That too was a few years back. 

I bought a used 22' canopy frame and 1 season old canvas for $1,100.  Look around for used and you might find something really cheap.  Mine will fit perfectly but if you buy used and the width doesn't match up you can have some brackets made up to adapt.

I just made a poor man's canopy for the toy hauler/camper.  I was looking at $1,000 roll-out ones, and my wife actually suggested that I make one.  I bought a decent 12'x20' PVC coated tarp, a friend gave me enough 1" EMT conduit, and I bought the conduit connectors.  I welded the threaded joints to the pipe so that it is stronger.  It threads together except for three slip/set screw joints.  Even if I had bought the conduit, I would be under $250, including the big sack of bungee balls to hold the tarp on.  She is pleased, except that she has to help heft it onto the roof with me.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting this as your solution, but the price sure is better than that huge quote.

spacer.png

By the way, my friend also gave me a bunch of thick EPDM pipe insulation, so I used it to rest between the tarp and the camper roof.  It keeps the frame from touching the roof, and it acts like a big gasket to keep water from running down on this side of the trailer.  Yes, I have tie downs to keep it from blowing away....